Oklahoma’s 10 day rifle antlerless season began today...

Our ML season started past Monday. I hunted today, and mine was the only I heard go off, and that was to shorten the life of a passing coyote. Deer were everywhere, but antlers were already half dropped. Odd, especially with 3 good heavy mast years. Not sure the hard drought affected that or not. Hopefully not too many bucks are shot mistaken for doe.

Our ML season started past Monday. I hunted today, and mine was the only I heard go off, and that was to shorten the life of a passing coyote. Deer were everywhere, but antlers were already half dropped. Odd, especially with 3 good heavy mast years. Not sure the hard drought affected that or not. Hopefully not too many bucks are shot mistaken for doe.
I have pictures of 1 buck who has dropped but his health doesn’t look 100%...
Here I personally know 4 guys who have killed bucks during this 10 day period who said “I didn’t get a buck during rifle season so they owe me one”... I have no idea why Oklahoma ever even implemented it because 2 weeks ago everyone could have killed does with rifles anyway during our general rifle season...

That's a long anterless hunt. Here in WI it is 4 days and I would be willing to estimate participation at around 2% compared to rifle season. Maybe cause gets too dang cold but that is pretty cool you guys get participants down there to get some of that deer herd thinned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a long anterless hunt. Here in WI it is 4 days and I would be willing to estimate participation at around 2% compared to rifle season. Maybe cause gets too dang cold but that is pretty cool you guys get participants down there to get some of that deer herd thinned.

Be even cooler if it needed thinned that much...

Ha spoke too soon I guess. We cannot get enough hunters to match deer herd. Or enough hunters shooting does probably more accurate statement

Are you around Waupaca county per chance? The buck to doe ratio here on our place is about 2.5:1

Are you around Waupaca county per chance? The buck to doe ratio here on our place is about 2.5:1

No further west. Waupaca is benefiting from years of proper management at local level. Other places like my County I think I was awarded like 4 doe tags and could purchase unlimited amount for about $10 each. It is nothing to sit out on any food plot in evening and see dozen does come through. Wish I was in waupaca hidden gem of WI that isn't buffalo County just as big of bucks and 1/2 the traffic and hype.

No further west. Waupaca is benefiting from years of proper management at local level. Other places like my County I think I was awarded like 4 doe tags and could purchase unlimited amount for about $10 each. It is nothing to sit out on any food plot in evening and see dozen does come through. Wish I was in waupaca hidden gem of WI that isn't buffalo County just as big of bucks and 1/2 the traffic and hype.

I know a guy who couldn’t get any regen at all in Waupaca county. Had to use some kind of net fencing to get any trees at all to grow...him and several other landowners were boycotting the harvest of does from my understanding because they wanted to see lots of deer like you describe.

Our plot rarely sees more than 6 deer at a time...

As a Kid in Pa we always had 2 or 3 days if they extended it a day for Does.
Few years back they ended that and merged the Buck and Doe Seasons together for 2-6 day periods.
Then they changed that to Doe on the 2nd set of day starting with the Saturday that ended the first 6.

Now that next year they included the 1st Sunday into the hunt I have no idea what it will be.

Down here in Fl we can take Doe any day during Archery that lasts about 5-6 weeks. They they have Rifle Days for Doe on Weekends depending on where you are in the state.

This is the First Year there has been a LIMIT of 5 Bucks or 4 Bucks and 1 Doe or 3 Bucks and 2 Doe. Before that it was a Free For All with a 2 Deer Per Day Limit.

To Okie It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't just add the Doe Days into the Buck Rifle Days. 10 Days for shooting Does with Rifle is a Long Time unless the Herd is really that far out of whack and needs thinned.

To Okie It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't just add the Doe Days into the Buck Rifle Days. 10 Days for shooting Does with Rifle is a Long Time unless the Herd is really that far out of whack and needs thinned.

Our wildlife department uses our deer as a cash cow. It’s nothing more than a chance to sell more tags because during our 16 day general rifle season you can already kill a buck and 2 does any time during that 16 days. It’s the same with our 9 day muzzleloader season buck and 2 does...they just think since a lot of folks are off work and out of school at this time that they might want to get out there and kill something so they might buy some of these bonus tags... I can tell you here in northeastern Oklahoma there is no out of wack deer herd...seeing a deer while driving during daylight is a thing of the past. My wife used to drive around and just look at deer during the late 90’s and about up until 2010 or so when they added all these opportunities and now we would burn a lot of fuel trying to see a deer from the road in Oklahoma...our hunters have definitely knocked the herd down to size...”but wait there’s more” our new proposal by the wildlife department is 23 days of rifle and a 6 deer limit with rifle...it’s all about the money!

Our wildlife department uses our deer as a cash cow. It’s nothing more than a chance to sell more tags because during our 16 day general rifle season you can already kill a buck and 2 does any time during that 16 days. It’s the same with our 9 day muzzleloader season buck and 2 does...they just think since a lot of folks are off work and out of school at this time that they might want to get out there and kill something so they might buy some of these bonus tags... I can tell you here in northeastern Oklahoma there is no out of wack deer herd...seeing a deer while driving during daylight is a thing of the past. My wife used to drive around and just look at deer during the late 90’s and about up until 2010 or so when they added all these opportunities and now we would burn a lot of fuel trying to see a deer from the road in Oklahoma...our hunters have definitely knocked the herd down to size...”but wait there’s more” our new proposal by the wildlife department is 23 days of rifle and a 6 deer limit with rifle...it’s all about the money!
Brother I hear ya!

We used to go for evening drives when I lived in Pa and see deer all the time. After the Gary Ault Project the Herd was so wiped out it was hard to still do that.

Down here I see them often along the Interstate near the WMA's or Hunt Clubs. rare to see them otherwise.

Wait until the state starts marketing the big bucks you guys are starting to be known for. A couple of hunting shows, some marketing, and all of a sudden OK is a destination. The State will play that card like crazy. Who knows where the extra revenue goes, but it won't make it's way into management or game wardens.

KS has a January doe season. Quite a few bucks killed during that time.

Back