Nutsedge

KSQ2

Will clethodim do the job on nutsedge? I was told by the local extension office to spray now, he said to use glyphosate, but I’d rather not hurt the young clover in the plot.

Nope, cleth won’t touch it as it’s a sedge and not a true grass.

I’ve had good luck mixing ortho sedge killer in a backpack sprayer and spot spraying it. Once it gets thick it’s hard to get rid of without nuking it and starting over in my experience.

Thanks, but I can't spot spray at this point, I guess I'll break out the glyphosate. Hopefully there's enough older clover to survive the spraying; if not, I guess I'll have a great spot to do a throw and mow with buckwheat in a few months.

Permit is the only thing I’ve ever used that reliably kills nutsedge.

The glyphosate dose to kill it is so high (3qts per acre) that you are going to zap your clover no matter what. Permit offers residual protection as well, but the plant back intervals for certain crops is very long.

Permit is the only thing I’ve ever used that reliably kills nutsedge.

The glyphosate dose to kill it is so high (3qts per acre) that you are going to zap your clover no matter what. Permit offers residual protection as well, but the plant back intervals for certain crops is very long.
Thanks! I’ll prolly go with a strong dose of gly, it’s only about a third of an acre.

Try Basagran for nutsedge. (1 q per acre)
Basagran T/O Herbicide (domyown.com)

I spot sprayed with SedgeHammer in my clover last year, with good results and no clover damage.
I ordered some Basagran, I couldn't get much information on residual effect in the soil, because it is made for turf. Have you tried planting after application? Just curious, I don't plan to plant except by t&m and it would be at least 45 days later.

**Edit to say just found some extension documentation that says there's no residual effect and it breaks down in soil quickly. Also read it works best with a reapplication 7-10 days later.

Have you ever used this more conventionally through a boom sprayer? That is pretty reasonably priced at 1 qt per acre.
I've never used it. I had some Sedgehammer left over from my home lawn, so I haven't needed to buy Basagran. It's on my to do list, if the sedge in our clover gets bad over the next year or two.

I've never used it. I had some Sedgehammer left over from my home lawn, so I haven't needed to buy Basagran. It's on my to do list, if the sedge in our clover gets bad over the next year or two.
If you’d like, I’ll report back how it does.

Just curious, what is keeping you from spot spraying?
Plot is pretty full of it, the drought seemed to have made it explode the end of last summer. Must be some pretty drought resistant stuff and it had no competition at that point.

I usually get yellow nutsedge in my lawn as soon as it gets hot and dry. I think the grass outcompetes the stuff, and needs the dormancy of the grass or clover to get growing.

I usually get yellow nutsedge in my lawn as soon as it gets hot and dry. I think the grass outcompetes the stuff, and needs the dormancy of the grass or clover to get growing.
That’s why I’m waiting a while to spray. I plan to take a look at the back plot this morning.

I had to wait longer than I wanted to spray the nutsedge; the neighbor's wheat just came out this week and I have to cross a portion of the field to get back to the plot. I'll be spraying Basagran at 2 pts to the acre per the label along with some AMS. We'll see what happens. I'm supposed to spray again according to the label 10 days later for better control.

Cleth and sedgehammer. It’s a pia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you used sedgehammer? Did it work pretty well? I'm gonna need something soon. I killed sedge once with powermax, but this last formulation I used didn't get it done. I also tried obscene amounts of calcitic lime, that also didn't do it.

Back