No need to come this year.....

Thanks so much for the info.

Mennonite will correct me if I’m wrong but it looks like what you have there belonged to a wrong handed fella...aka a southpaw or lefty. Right handers would swing on their right side as you walk backwards down the log and thus the cant of the handle to clear your knuckles would go the other way. Around me, goosewing axes were more popular for hewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

No biggie. If he knows of anyone wanting to trap some, send him my way.

Evidently, KY F&W thinks they're a problem too. They've opened a night time season on them now.

I had no idea they changed this. Now I have a good excuse to setup a night time coyote gun.

It was shotgun only.

Predator control has to help. We have a surplus of raccoons on our ground in KS. Not sure how a turkey, pheasant, or quail has a nest ever. Working on them though. Lot of coyotes too.

The handle is only 15 inches long and curved. Do you have any idea what it was used for? I can envision someone working at a table with it but have never known for sure what it was used for. I bought it for $80 from a guy who found it in an old barn in Pennsylvania.

NrSNzed.jpg

7ZgoZmX.jpg
Watch a broad axe in use. Note that he first uses a right handed broad axe, and then switches to a left handed axe.

I’m glad I never had to build a barn with those tools. In one of my houses (built 1860) the beams are hand hewn and they’re massive. Most of the framing lumber for wall is sawn though so I’m not sure why they wouldn’t have done the beams the same way.

Back