Next year's plan

I have started next year's planning as well. I just ordered 25 Norway Spruce and 50 Sandbar Willows from MDC for screening purposes. I also have plans to open up some canopy in a few new areas, seed some NWSG's, seed some pollinator species, and work hard on getting my shooting lanes cut and tree stands concealed better. Lots to do!
"work hard on getting my shooting lanes cut and tree stands concealed better" My top priority as well! I'm planning a lot of fine tuning to make each stand better; moving a few shooting houses, concealing, brushing and concealing stand access will be priority.

"work hard on getting my shooting lanes cut and tree stands concealed better" My top priority as well! I'm planning a lot of fine tuning to make each stand better; moving a few shooting houses, concealing, brushing and concealing stand access will be priority.
Did you have any deer bust you? I didn't (that I know of) but I just felt like I was sticking out too much and being on a small property the last thing I want is one busting me in the stand. Those old bucks tend to pick up on things more than the young ones do.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Me too. I need to actually get some plots planted, but this is my top priority.

I only got busted once, but I couldn’t get away with the slightest movement when deer were close.

Seems Im always working next years plan in late winter

the front end loader is always loaded with rye and the solo spreader as i cruise openings in the woods to brush hog and spread

bill

Seems Im always working next years plan in late winter

the front end loader is always loaded with rye and the solo spreader as i cruise openings in the woods to brush hog and spread

bill
I too find that late winter is one of the best times to do habitat work. Spring; it's turkey season. Summer; too hot, and too busy. Fall; it's deer season. Late winter; just right.

I too find that late winter is one of the best times to do habitat work. Spring; it's turkey season. Summer; too hot, and too busy. Fall; it's deer season. Late winter; just right.
Agree.

I cannot express how much I dislike summer habitat work. I cannot express how much I enjoy winter habitat work. Up by me, the season is short though. Once the snow starts stacking up, I shut things down. Too much snow prevents movement and I can't pull anything in the sled without it tipping over in the boot prints anyway.

Gonna give 'er hell this weekend and try to get it all done.

I’m in the same boat. If I don’t get it done by April 1 it’s not likely to happen. Start chasing turkeys in April and go to the lake almost every weekend after that until mid September. By that time we are right back into deer season.

My major projects:

1. Clean up four primary tree stands. These are modern gun rut stands so a bulldozer might be involved. My early bow stands don’t require as much maintenance.

2. Build/place one box blind.

3. Help a friend develop a plan for his new 300ish acre farm. This will involve lots of boots on the ground time this post season.

If I get all that done in a handful of weekends this winter I’ll be happy.

Agree.

I cannot express how much I dislike summer habitat work. I cannot express how much I enjoy winter habitat work. Up by me, the season is short though. Once the snow starts stacking up, I shut things down. Too much snow prevents movement and I can't pull anything in the sled without it tipping over in the boot prints anyway.

Gonna give 'er hell this weekend and try to get it all done.
We have the advantage over North Dakota of not as much snow accumulation. Most years late February early March can be a good time to do stuff, unless it's too wet to run equipment anywhere, sometimes the M in March stands for Mud. Otherwise March is such a great month to do habitat work because there's very little of anything happening around here otherwise, on a good year I've drilled spring oats on March 15th and had a great crop.

My goal for next year is to get out into the woods and locate at least two places to erect tripod or ladder stands, mainly for bow hunting, but gun hunting if I have to. Our lease is timberland so habitat work is limited to cutting undesirable brush or saplings, something of no monetary value. There may or may not be a small food plot, that will be determined. That’s how I used to hunt until I got old, but Okie has made me re-think that. Thanks Okie ! ( but I may be cussing him if I kill a buck 1/4 mile from a trail ) o_O

Back