New Truck?

What doesn't make sense for one person is often another person's game. If you are in construction or service work you find out very quickly that buying used trucks doesn't pay. What a lot of people don't realize is that the cost per mile on a used 1 ton pickup is often higher than new and you are often buying someone else's trouble, with the best miles already used up, in a configuration that's not exactly what you needed, you tend to look outdated to your customers, and now the need to buy a replacement that comes around much to often comes around even sooner. The first miles on a new truck are the very best ones, clean, a new set of tires, new inspection, new warranty, no maintenance due, no rattling, and no lies from a used car salesman.

I agree that if the vehicle is for business use than it is a wiser decision to purchase new rather than a used vehicle. Tax implications being the main factor.

Although, if it’s strictly a business vehicle than leasing is the by far better way to go simply because of the tax write-off per quarter that you can use. It’s what I do in my Land Surveying/Engineering company and pretty much what everyone else does that I know of that is in my field. We only lease 1/2 ton pickups for our survey crews so 1 ton trucks might be a whole different ball of wax with lease pricing.

I agree that if the vehicle is for business use than it is a wiser decision to purchase new rather than a used vehicle. Tax implications being the main factor.

Although, if it’s strictly a business vehicle than leasing is the by far better way to go simply because of the tax write-off per quarter that you can use. It’s what I do in my Land Surveying/Engineering company and pretty much what everyone else does that I know of that is in my field. We only lease 1/2 ton pickups for our survey crews so 1 ton trucks might be a whole different ball of wax with lease pricing.
The 2020 Section 179 deduction limit is $1,040,000. That allows a business to deduct the full cost of new or used qualifying equipment from their 2020 taxes.

I will just stick with the tried and true. Owned 11 years only thing I have done to it is tires and a set of front brake pads I just put on myself. Oil change every 6000. 6.7 Cummins, 68RFE auto...if it moves it has a trailer hooked to it...
1a244c78b775ab9c5402b708bcb6b4dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will just stick with the tried and true. Owned 11 years only thing I have done to it is tires and a set of front brake pads I just put on myself. Oil change every 6000. 6.7 Cummins, 68RFE auto...if it moves it has a trailer hooked to it...
1a244c78b775ab9c5402b708bcb6b4dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you buy new or used?

Cummins gave Dodge some breathing room to improve their pickup from what they were in the late 70's and early 80's, it put Dodge on the map for sure.

No offense Okie but I’ve driven Dodge/Ram at work for the last nine years, three different vehicles and they are notorious for cupping front tires. This is with rotating tires every 5000 miles and many different tire brands. At least on their 1/2 tons anyway.

I’m not keen on the aluminum body on the Ford though. I’m turning 51 this year and if I buy a new one, with an average of 4000 miles yearly, it will last me the rest of my driving career. I know my mileage will go up when I retire and loose the company truck but you can put 300,000 miles on a diesel without any issues.

I have two dodges a 04 2500 with manual trans and 400k on it, and a 2006 3500 with 225k I just bought. Both have the 5.9 ho motor. Absolutely bulletproof motors. Yes the dodge trucks suck but you can’t beat a Cummins for reliability and simplicity.
I want a new truck so bad and this 0% for 84 months has peaked my interest, but I cannot wrap my head around paying 70k for a pickup when I’m selling corn for 3$ range. And don’t get me started on personal property tax. I can build an rebuild these trucks but I know the day is coming I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and upgrade.

No offense Okie but I’ve driven Dodge/Ram at work for the last nine years, three different vehicles and they are notorious for cupping front tires. This is with rotating tires every 5000 miles and many different tire brands. At least on their 1/2 tons anyway.

I’m not keen on the aluminum body on the Ford though. I’m turning 51 this year and if I buy a new one, with an average of 4000 miles yearly, it will last me the rest of my driving career. I know my mileage will go up when I retire and loose the company truck but you can put 300,000 miles on a diesel without any issues.
1/2 tons don’t have the front straight axle in their 4x4. 3/4 and 1 ton do...I don’t have any cupping issues with tires. I run a 315/70-17 on the factory rim. It came with 265/70-17 tires...

I have two dodges a 04 2500 with manual trans and 400k on it, and a 2006 3500 with 225k I just bought. Both have the 5.9 ho motor. Absolutely bulletproof motors. Yes the dodge trucks suck but you can’t beat a Cummins for reliability and simplicity.
I want a new truck so bad and this 0% for 84 months has peaked my interest, but I cannot wrap my head around paying 70k for a pickup when I’m selling corn for 3$ range. And don’t get me started on personal property tax. I can build an rebuild these trucks but I know the day is coming I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and upgrade.
Both of those are nice trucks. I traded a 2004 3500 DRW standard trans truck with the 5.9 Cummins for my current 6.7 Cummins 2500...I wish my 2004 would have had the engine from my current truck in it. The 5.9 was peaky and as I describe it like a 2 stroke motorcycle. Wanted to be on top of the pipe to run it’s best...this 6.7 is a whole nother animal. It is like a tractor, just raw torque everywhere in its RPM range...

I'm driving an aluminum body 2018 4x4 350 crew cab diesel right now and I like it. The aluminum doors are lighter and they don't klunk shut like metal ones do. The newer frames, under carriage, drive train, and brakes are built heavier using some of the weight savings from the body. It's amazing how a truck can feel so solid yet ride and handle almost like a car, with all kinds of power to spare.

I'm driving an aluminum body 2018 4x4 350 crew cab diesel right now and I like it. The aluminum doors are lighter and they don't klunk shut like metal ones do. The newer frames, under carriage, drive train, and brakes are built heavier using some of the weight savings from the body. It's amazing how a truck can feel so solid yet ride and handle almost like a car, with all kinds of power to spare.

Thanks for the info. Is yours a dually?

I’ve said it on here before but give me a Cummins diesel, Allison transmission and Ford Aluminum body and I’ll probably never need to buy another truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

That sounds like a great combination.

I heard Ford owns Cummins but not sure if that’s true. If they do, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t put it in there own trucks though.

I heard Ford owns Cummins but not sure if that’s true. If they do, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t put it in there own trucks though.

Cummins is a publicly traded company. Ford owned 11% of them in the early 1990’s but hasn’t had any ownership since 1997. Ford would’ve been way better off had they partnered with Cummins over Navistar and the disasters of Diesel engines they went thru. As a guy who doesn’t have a strong allegiance to any one manufacturer it used to crack me up when die hard Ford guys would brag that they’d “bulletproofed” their Ford diesel. Yeah, cuz every great truck should have to have the head bolts replaced and top end rebuilt straight from the plant.

The Cummins diesel plant is in Columbus, Indiana and the Allison Transmissions are built about an hour away in Indianapolis. If we could just get Ford to put a stamping plant somewhere in between we’d be in business.

Cummins is a publicly traded company. Ford owned 11% of them in the early 1990’s but hasn’t had any ownership since 1997. Ford would’ve been way better off had they partnered with Cummins over Navistar and the disasters of Diesel engines they went thru. As a guy who doesn’t have a strong allegiance to any one manufacturer it used to crack me up when die hard Ford guys would brag that they’d “bulletproofed” their Ford diesel. Yeah, cuz every great truck should have to have the head bolts replaced and top end rebuilt straight from the plant.

The big three all had their major engineering issues over the years. Ford 6.0 diesel, Chevy 6.4 diesel and early Duramax injectors, Dodge had inferior front ends that weren't built for 1 ton trucks.
Thanks for the info. Is yours a dually?
No, I'm not a big dually fan unless I'm pulling a heavy gooseneck trailer a lot. The thing with a dually under light to average loads is that 6 tires will wear out exactly as fast as 4, and properly rotating tires becomes impossible on a lot of models, fuel mileage drops, and I don't care for that extra width in tight backing up situations. They have their place for heavy towing, but a lot of light use people would be better off without them.

The big three all had their major engineering issues over the years. Ford 6.0 diesel, Chevy 6.4 diesel and early Duramax injectors, Dodge had inferior front ends that weren't built for 1 ton trucks.

No, I'm not a big dually fan unless I'm pulling a heavy gooseneck trailer a lot. The thing with a dually under light to average loads is that 6 tires will wear out exactly as fast as 4, and properly rotating tires becomes impossible on a lot of models, fuel mileage drops, and I don't care for that extra width in tight backing up situations. They have their place for heavy towing, but a lot of light use people would be better off without them.

You can tell you’ve owned them and worked them. I’d add the Ford 6.4 to the list because of the same TTY head bolts and I’d add the Bosch fuel pump on the GM LML duramax to the list to. I’ll leave Dodge out of the conversation because my fingers can only take so much typing.

You can tell you’ve owned them and worked them. I’d add the Ford 6.4 to the list because of the same TTY head bolts and I’d add the Bosch fuel pump on the GM LML duramax to the list to. I’ll leave Dodge out of the conversation because my fingers can only take so much typing.

It's fun to have a civil and honest discussion about p/u's without anyone getting their underwear in a knot. I've owned them all, but the early duramax injector issues cost us the most because of getting left set several hours from home multiple times with a 3-5 man crew of highly paid workers. The good parts of the 6.0 were great, but some of the design should have never left the drawing board. Earlier I said Chevy 6.4, I meant the gm 6.5 turbo diesel that came out in 1992, I quickly bought 4 new ones, several years later I just as quickly got rid of them, they ran good until the 100,000 mile warranty was out then they would start falling apart. I had many trucks from the top three that were faithful and didn't owe me a dime, but my alltime favorite pickup was a 2002 f-350 4x4 crewcab 7.3 turbo diesel 6 speed manual. By that year the bugs were all worked out on 7.3 and it was a bullet proof motor with reasonable power, if you stayed away from the automatic transmission. By the next year the 6.0 disaster showed up.

How does the aluminum bed hold up hauling things without denting? I’m not hard on things but had to ask.

Back