New Truck?

deer patch

I’m kicking around the ideal of buying a new truck. In particular a 3/4 ton diesel crew cab. Is there anyone that’s in the industry of selling vehicles On here and are there any incentives fixing to come out in the next month or two that would make me sway one way or another?

As I drive around on my daily commute, I don’t see anyone shopping at any dealership lately so I was hoping this is the time to buy.

I have a one ton diesel but was looking for a GMC Canyon for a daily driver. I don't think they are hungry enough yet. Also I don't think many vehicles are being produced right now. For example, BMW in S.C. is closed down.

Well so far I’m not hungry enough to buy one yet. I’ll wait a month or so and see if they decide they need to sell something instead of keeping it on the lot.

So far I haven’t even made up my mind on which brand to buy either.

I’ve narrowed down my choices to either the 2020 Ford F-250 FX4 Lariat crew cab or 2020 Chevy 2500HD Texas Edition crew cab. Both have a diesel engine. I’m leaning more towards the Ford right now though. Didn’t want to turn this tread into a Ford versus Chevy but that may just be what it is. So with that being said, what’s your opinion?

We've bought dozens of new 1 ton diesel p/u trucks over the past 30 years. We've bought slightly more Fords than Chevys, and a few Dodges, I don't feel strongly about it but would probably buy in that order. Buying new and taking good care of the maintenance is the key. When we buy a new truck we immediately get it up on the lift and take a can of black rustoleum spray paint and hit anything that looks like rust, it's surprising how many little rust specks are on the undercarriage of a new pickup from the manufacturing process. We then do this once every summer after the winter road salt is washed out of it. When we sell these 8 year old used construction trucks they're somewhat beat up, but buyers can't believe that there's zero rust. It's those little specks that start growing until they cover the whole chassis, and they can be stopped with $20 worth of paint if you start early enough.

I swore off Ford in 2003 after getting stranded too many times by a known problem Ford refused to fix (Glow plug relay in my 1997 would go out every 15k or so and it would not start if ambient temperatures were below 50....it was a $300 part). I was living in the Rocky’s at the time and spent my free time in the mountains. Being 20 miles from a phone with a truck that wouldn’t start whenever the temps dropped below 50 was more than a little frustrating. Went to a 2500 Duramax and never looked back (I have a 2003 and 2016). No, they have not been Toyota reliable. Both had 1 warranty repair (camshaft sensor on the 03 and and a fan thermostat on the 16). If I were to total the 2016 tomorrow, I’d get another 2500 Duramax. FYI, my average economy over 50,000 miles is 18.7mpg. Admittedly, I don’t put a lot of miles on my trucks.

Chev’s big weakness is the tendency to rust. That’s why I’ve kept the 2003. Not worth fixing the rust and worth more to me to leave at our upstate property than I could sell it for. So far, the 2016 body and frame look great.

For me reliability is top priority hence our daily drivers are Toyotas (Sequoia and FJ). If Toyota marketed a HD diesel truck capable of hauling 17,000lb, I’d own it.

I’ve been a Ford guy most of my life and enjoyed good service from them, but only a couple diesels. I’m not sold on the reliability or economy of diesel trucks. I’ve put the pencil to it too many times. When I was working in the oil field I drove F250s exclusively. After the first diesel, I went to the V10 gasser. I’ve had 6 or 8 of them including F250s and Excursions. Only problem ever with engines was one coil went bad in my first Excursion. I drove these trucks to just under 200K miles to over 250K miles and they never missed a lick. Even at gas prices back then, I drove free for the first 75K on the price difference between a diesel engine and the V10.

Now, I said all that to say this: I hear about a lot of front end problems with the new trucks that Ford will not acknowledge even exists. They will warranty them, but put the same OEM parts back and the guys say that it is not a fix, just a bandaid. It takes after market parts to effect a real fix. Based on so many of these reports I don’t think I would buy one. That would put me in a bind if I were in the market, because you couldn’t run fast enough to give me a Chevy, I’d hang my head and buy a Goat first. :eek::D

As a diesel truck owner I would consider looking at a gas option. The new 7.3L gas engine that Ford has puts up good power and economy numbers. Diesel here has been running .80-1.00 more per gallon than gas. On my GMC the diesel was a $9000 option, factor in the extra money you’ll spend on fuel over gas and the economic justification for a diesel is gone. That $9,000 would buy you a second crate gasser engine, so the longevity argument goes out the window. I live near Elkhart County, the RV capital of the world. There are tons of contractors who deliver 5th wheel and pull behind campers all over the US from these plants and these guys are switching to gas engines bc of the cost differential and they literally make their living towing everyday. Just food for thought but I know when I see gas at $1.20 and I’m still paying $2.40 for diesel it’s a thought I have often.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I swore off Ford in 2003 after getting stranded too many times by a known problem Ford refused to fix (Glow plug relay in my 1997 would go out every 15k or so and it would not start if ambient temperatures were below 50....it was a $300 part). I was living in the Rocky’s at the time and spent my free time in the mountains. Being 20 miles from a phone with a truck that wouldn’t start whenever the temps dropped below 50 was more than a little frustrating. Went to a 2500 Duramax and never looked back (I have a 2003 and 2016). No, they have not been Toyota reliable. Both had 1 warranty repair (camshaft sensor on the 03 and and a fan thermostat on the 16). If I were to total the 2016 tomorrow, I’d get another 2500 Duramax. FYI, my average economy over 50,000 miles is 18.7mpg. Admittedly, I don’t put a lot of miles on my trucks.

Chev’s big weakness is the tendency to rust. That’s why I’ve kept the 2003. Not worth fixing the rust and worth more to me to leave at our upstate property than I could sell it for. So far, the 2016 body and frame look great.

For me reliability is top priority hence our daily drivers are Toyotas (Sequoia and FJ). If Toyota marketed a HD diesel truck capable of hauling 17,000lb, I’d own it.
I could tell you some similar stories about 00 and 03 duramax heartaches that cost us a lot of money.

I’ve been a Ford guy most of my life and enjoyed good service from them, but only a couple diesels. I’m not sold on the reliability or economy of diesel trucks. I’ve put the pencil to it too many times. When I was working in the oil field I drove F250s exclusively. After the first diesel, I went to the V10 gasser. I’ve had 6 or 8 of them including F250s and Excursions. Only problem ever with engines was one coil went bad in my first Excursion. I drove these trucks to just under 200K miles to over 250K miles and they never missed a lick. Even at gas prices back then, I drove free for the first 75K on the price difference between a diesel engine and the V10.

Now, I said all that to say this: I hear about a lot of front end problems with the new trucks that Ford will not acknowledge even exists. They will warranty them, but put the same OEM parts back and the guys say that it is not a fix, just a bandaid. It takes after market parts to effect a real fix. Based on so many of these reports I don’t think I would buy one. That would put me in a bind if I were in the market, because you couldn’t run fast enough to give me a Chevy, I’d hang my head and buy a Goat first. :eek::D

I agree that the cost of a diesel is hard to justify if you don’t regularly tow heavy loads. I also believe if GM was building the power train, I’d have a very different experience. I am intrigued by the new Ford 7.3 gasser. From what I gather, it has some potential. I’d like to see some other gas HD power plant options be developed.

I have a 04 Chevy 2500HD with a 6.0 gas burner now and it only has 66,000 miles on it so fuel prices doesn’t bother me but you couldn’t give me another gas burner even if you wanted to. I have two farms that I haul my tractors back and forth, so I want power and torque. Only problem I have with the Ford right now is an aluminum frame.

I have a 04 Chevy 2500HD with a 6.0 gas burner now and it only has 66,000 miles on it so fuel prices doesn’t bother me but you couldn’t give me another gas burner even if you wanted to. I have two farms that I haul my tractors back and forth, so I want power and torque. Only problem I have with the Ford right now is an aluminum frame.
Aluminum body, steel frame.

If I drove 4,000 miles a year I probably wouldnt sweat gas prices either. The new gasser Ford makes is rated 430/475 and is a low reving, naturally aspirated pushrod engine. Lots of power in a reliable engine design....no turbos, super chargers. Guys are already getting 600hp with basic mods: porting, intake and cam...no turbo required to hit 600hp. I’m not a “Ford guy”....don’t have an allegiance just think that the economics on diesels these days makes less and less sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

One of the biggest financial mistakes is buying a new truck. I’ve never done it and never will, especially considering that the cost of them keep going skyward.

Buy a couple year old pickup and your bank account will thank you. My current truck I bought as a 1 year old in 2016 and saved $19.5k from what it would have been if I bought new. The market is flooded with parade trucks that guys simply commute with and never actually use them like they are intended. Do yourself a favor and buy lightly used and then turn around and spend the boat loads of money you saved on habitat improvement costs. That’s what I do.

No dog in this fight as I don't drive trucks anymore. But I just let go my sons GMC Denali diesel and while I think they are overpriced for most people including the fuel needed but I will say I had a hard time letting this truck go. It pulled 10000+# up my mountains without even taking a breath. You never knew that anything was hooked on. And with 23+ mpg, sure tough to beat if one hauls much , and often. I'll stick to my jeep, I have enough friends in low places to do my hauling free for no high dollar purchase by me.

One of the biggest financial mistakes is buying a new truck. I’ve never done it and never will, especially considering that the cost of them keep going skyward.

Buy a couple year old pickup and your bank account will thank you. My current truck I bought as a 1 year old in 2016 and saved $19.5k from what it would have been if I bought new. The market is flooded with parade trucks that guys simply commute with and never actually use them like they are intended. Do yourself a favor and buy lightly used and then turn around and spend the boat loads of money you saved on habitat improvement costs. That’s what I do.
What doesn't make sense for one person is often another person's game. If you are in construction or service work you find out very quickly that buying used trucks doesn't pay. What a lot of people don't realize is that the cost per mile on a used 1 ton pickup is often higher than new and you are often buying someone else's trouble, with the best miles already used up, in a configuration that's not exactly what you needed, you tend to look outdated to your customers, and now the need to buy a replacement that comes around much to often comes around even sooner. The first miles on a new truck are the very best ones, clean, a new set of tires, new inspection, new warranty, no maintenance due, no rattling, and no lies from a used car salesman.

Back