New crop in an old plot

Drycreek

I’ve had this food plot for a number of years, probably at least twenty. It has grown in size over time from a 1/4 acre to .6 of an acre so it’s mostly too small to grow any kind of a spring/summer plot and expect much out of it. This year I decided to plant a product from Green Cover that I think is called Summer Soil Builder IIRC. The seed was hard for me to see so I ran out when I was about 3/4 finished, so I ran to the local feed store and finished up with some I/C peas. I planted Friday a week ago, and took this pic yesterday. We’ve had quite a bit of rain earlier this month so it germinated fine, but the surest way I know to start a drought is to plant in May !😁. We have rain forecast for three or four days the last of next week, so maybe we’ll get some. IMG_1767.jpeg

I’ve had this food plot for a number of years, probably at least twenty. It has grown in size over time from a 1/4 acre to .6 of an acre so it’s mostly too small to grow any kind of a spring/summer plot and expect much out of it. This year I decided to plant a product from Green Cover that I think is called Summer Soil Builder IIRC. The seed was hard for me to see so I ran out when I was about 3/4 finished, so I ran to the local feed store and finished up with some I/C peas. I planted Friday a week ago, and took this pic yesterday. We’ve had quite a bit of rain earlier this month so it germinated fine, but the surest way I know to start a drought is to plant in May !. We have rain forecast for three or four days the last of next week, so maybe we’ll get some. View attachment 25453

I planted soybeans for the first time. Not a drop since I put them in the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We missed our rain chances Friday but yesterday we had a little over 3/4” of rain. Just in time to get a little boost for my home plot. We have chances again for the last of next week so maybe we’ll get some more.

I’m beginning to feel like KSQ2 though about my deer lease. Radar showed it getting good rain yesterday afternoon and my buddy who lives about 15 miles from it got an inch and a half. My wife and I drove over there this morning just to check the screening that I planted a couple weks ago just to find nothing in the gauge and no sign of rain since I planted. The screening has germinated but needs a boost badly. Maybe next week……

A pic this morning of my home plot. IMG_1788.jpeg

I planted some vitalize seed in my new orchard just hoping not to maintain the plot for part of the year and it has done well.Several different plants but looks like the buckwheat is getting hit the hardest.I haven't planted it before but will for sure again.Has anyone planted it as a stand alone and if so how was it for butterflies and bees?

I planted some vitalize seed in my new orchard just hoping not to maintain the plot for part of the year and it has done well.Several different plants but looks like the buckwheat is getting hit the hardest.I haven't planted it before but will for sure again.Has anyone planted it as a stand alone and if so how was it for butterflies and bees?
I’ve planted buckwheat several times stand alone. The deer didn’t hit it like they would IC peas but that’s probably a good thing. The bees simply love it. I saw more honeybees in that stuff than there are around a beehive ! One of our plots was on a pipeline that we also use as a road. When the flowers were in full bloom we drove through it in my CanAm and it was nerve racking to say the least. Bees all over us in that open cab ! Someone told me bees wouldn’t sting when they are eating, and I don’t know if that’s right or not but they weren’t interested in stinging us because they had ample opportunity.

I’ve had this food plot for a number of years, probably at least twenty. It has grown in size over time from a 1/4 acre to .6 of an acre so it’s mostly too small to grow any kind of a spring/summer plot and expect much out of it. This year I decided to plant a product from Green Cover that I think is called Summer Soil Builder IIRC. The seed was hard for me to see so I ran out when I was about 3/4 finished, so I ran to the local feed store and finished up with some I/C peas. I planted Friday a week ago, and took this pic yesterday. We’ve had quite a bit of rain earlier this month so it germinated fine, but the surest way I know to start a drought is to plant in May !😁. We have rain forecast for three or four days the last of next week, so maybe we’ll get some. View attachment 25453
That’s one of the main reasons I started frost seeding.

Back