Need input on what shrub to plant in central Indiana...

I've been working at removing Asian Bush Honeysuckle on the property that I hunt in west central Indiana. The property is enrolled in an invasive removal program through the DNR. I am wanting to plant a shrub to enhance wildlife cover and browse. Research online has been a bit confusing as most everything I've found seems to have as many pros as cons. Several of the "recommended" species are on the state list as an invasive. My hope is to get some real world experience as to the success (or failure) that some of you have had.
As stated above, my primary goal is to add cover and browse. The soil is typical of west central Indiana, a medium clay. The areas that I want to plant are a 50/50 mix from mostly shaded to 75-80% sun. I realize that the shaded areas I am most likely out of luck. Ideally I am looking for low maintenance, browse resistant and relatively fast growing, but beggars can't be choosers! Thank you in advance for your input!

The following are ones I've had great luck with in partial to full sun, but they won't be browse resistant until you can get them close to maturity.

Elderberry
Arrowood Viburnum
Red Osier Dogwood
Witch Hazel
American Hazelnut
American Cranberry Bush

Most of these can also take quite a bit of shade, but will be less fruitful and less healthy. Hazelnut is probably the most shade tolerant one in the group above.

Spice bush doesn’t have a ton of wildlife value but it is native and one of the more shade tolerant species on my place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been working at removing Asian Bush Honeysuckle on the property that I hunt in west central Indiana. The property is enrolled in an invasive removal program through the DNR. I am wanting to plant a shrub to enhance wildlife cover and browse. Research online has been a bit confusing as most everything I've found seems to have as many pros as cons. Several of the "recommended" species are on the state list as an invasive. My hope is to get some real world experience as to the success (or failure) that some of you have had.
As stated above, my primary goal is to add cover and browse. The soil is typical of west central Indiana, a medium clay. The areas that I want to plant are a 50/50 mix from mostly shaded to 75-80% sun. I realize that the shaded areas I am most likely out of luck. Ideally I am looking for low maintenance, browse resistant and relatively fast growing, but beggars can't be choosers! Thank you in advance for your input!
I would look around your property and around your neighborhood to see what's growing best naturally, and mimic that. I've buried lots of money trying to plant stuff that wasn't adapted to my soils.

Walking around my place today, the silky dogwood has done the best, even in partial shade and with no weed protection. It gets browsed and rubbed, and several of my 3 year old planted saplings were 7’+. Roughleaf dogwood also has done well, some of them are just barely starting to sucker, and they definitely get browsed.

I have Red Osier Dogwood on moist lowland clay and Ninebark on sandy, drier soil. The ninebark is browsed heavily unless protected to maturity. The Ninebark is shade tolerant and I introduced it. The Red Osier Dogwood is native.

Thanks to all for the feedback! As far as what is growing well on neighboring properties...Asian Bush Honeysuckle! LOL!! Has to be the invasive stuff I've ever encountered. In the areas that I have pulled/cut/treated I've had 90-95% success and I go back over those areas with the backpack sprayer in early spring when any new sprouts or what I missed start to green up. One of the strains of bush honeysuckle actually "poisons" the soil inhibiting the growth of existing trees and natural forbs.
I'm looking into the hazelnut and the red osier and silky dogwood. Thanks again for the feedback!

Thanks to all for the feedback! As far as what is growing well on neighboring properties...Asian Bush Honeysuckle! LOL!! Has to be the invasive stuff I've ever encountered. In the areas that I have pulled/cut/treated I've had 90-95% success and I go back over those areas with the backpack sprayer in early spring when any new sprouts or what I missed start to green up. One of the strains of bush honeysuckle actually "poisons" the soil inhibiting the growth of existing trees and natural forbs.
I'm looking into the hazelnut and the red osier and silky dogwood. Thanks again for the feedback!

Iowa state nursery has all 3 in stock. I just ordered 25 silky and 25 red osier because I couldn’t help myself.

https://nursery.iowadnr.gov/Small-Trees-and-Shrubs_c_7.html

If you want browse resistance then keep the bush honeysuckle, if you want natural cover and attraction for wildlife then plant the aforementioned plants. I would add a plant that was awesome when I was in Iowa, aromatic sumac. The key is to protect your plantings when they are small.

G

Back