My First Plot

Cmorris

So I finally had a half day and some help to get in a plot before the cold sets in to help with keeping my herd around for the winter months. We fired up the Kubota and tilled it under after last weeks cut clear and cut, the ground was very nice and easy to till under. Threw some peas, wheat, bras and turnips just to see how this whole thing will work out.
Soil test is on the way, and know I should have done this first but just not enough time in the day, week or month to get it all done... YET!
We dont have a good cutlipacker so had to make up a redneck one for fun - actually worked better high tilling it but the boys had fun this way.

I love reading these threads so ill see how my hand at this works out!
I have 106 acres with plenty of water, cover & very light human contact so hope this plot helps!

Thanks everyone for the posts - ill see how i do????
chris

IMG_9028.JPG IMG_9027.JPG IMG_9026.JPG

IMG_9027.JPGIMG_9028.JPG IMG_9036.JPG IMG_9033.JPG

Looks good! It looks like the boys had fun being the packer. I've also just drove over the plot with the quad when I was too lazy to go get the cultipacker and it worked good. Good luck!

Looks good! It looks like the boys had fun being the packer. I've also just drove over the plot with the quad when I was too lazy to go get the cultipacker and it worked good. Good luck!

Thanks Scott, I have read alot on the forum and just threw caution and $ to the wind to get it in. I also planted winter peas so I guess I will pray for rain and see what happens. We get hammered by turkeys so hoping they dont clean me out!

Looks like a good time. I've used a pallet before as a drag. Still use one but as the weight on top of an old bed spring. Works like a charm every time.

good luck with the kill plot
todd

Looks like a good time. I've used a pallet before as a drag. Still use one but as the weight on top of an old bed spring. Works like a charm every time.

good luck with the kill plot
todd

Thanks alot, thats a great idea - i will find an old bed spring and try that out!! I am all about "repurposing"!!
thanks
C

Nothing to loose there. Looks like you had fun and i am sure you will feed some deer.
Hopefully rain is finding you more than it is us.

YOU have lift off but it does look like ya need a little moisture. I'm bone dry also with nothing in the 10 day but wind and hot weather.

That plot should do just fine! Love the cultipacker/sled! I have used a pallet drag before but no passengers:D

I planted over a month ago and haven't had a drop of rain since. It was supposed to rain Friday, but it went around us. Next call for rain is this coming Thursday. I won a bag of Eagle Seed Broadside Blend off of Alex Rutledge's Facebook page. Been scared to plant it and waste the seed with no rain. Hope you and everyone else gets the rain that's needed.

Exactly what we are hearing here too, only good thing for is the cool nights are helping alittle with AM dew and the turkeys havnt raped the field yet!!

I just did a check of the new plot after a light rain on Friday and for my first plot I am pretty happy!!! Alot of activity in the dirt also so hoping for a winter wonderland for my herd!!!
what does everyone think???
chris
ky

IMG_9159.JPG IMG_9160.JPG IMG_9159.JPG IMG_9160.JPG IMG_9161.JPG IMG_9162.JPG

Good to see that green tint across the field and little sprouts coming along. Temps are cool enough at night now that you should do fine. And for all of us some rain along the way would be welcome.

Back