My first chinkapins

Native Hunter

I can't remember the exact year I set these, but it seems like 7 years ago or so. I thought they were never going to make nuts. For the last couple of years it has been burrs with no nuts. This year one of them is loaded from top to bottom. This tree is about 18 feet tall and at the edge of a clearing with about 1/2 day sun.

Another tree had nuts that were bigger than these, but just a few of them.

x2oJKWD.jpg

9lH876C.jpg

0TOJhXb.jpg

XbHqUjr.jpg

Those are pretty. Wonder why chestnuts and chiquapins produce burs but no nuts? Seen younger chestnuts do that too--big burs but no chestnut inside.

Those are pretty. Wonder why chestnuts and chiquapins produce burs but no nuts? Seen younger chestnuts do that too--big burs but no chestnut inside.

I see that most when the trees are young and just beginning to produce. However, I will occasionally see it to a lesser degree in older trees. I think it is kind of like a baby learning to walk.

You can be sure that some pollination issues has something to do with the weather at the time of pollination.

Last year was the best year for chestnut pollination that I have ever seen. This year isn't bad, but nothing like last year. Wind direction, rain, temperature and other factors must play a part in it. This year our pears were froze out while blooming, but a friend of my nearly 2 hours north of me has a good pear crop. Things just happen.

Good luck, it would be a shame for that beautiful 13 pt to die but sometimes that's just the way things have to be.

I have opening day mule deer buck tomorrow.

G

I looked at my tallest and widest chinkapin tree today. It is just a little taller than the one shown above and I stepped it 18 feet wide due to the low spreading limbs. When I looked at this tree the other day, I thought it had unpollinated burrs - but today I noticed that some of them were starting to open, and many had nuts. Looks like we could be having chinkapins for Christmas this year.....

The first tree show above is still holding many nuts. I picked and ate a few today and they were delicious.

One thing I love about chinkapins over chestnuts - I haven't seen a single worm in any of them. Yes, the nuts are small, but so easy to eat with just the tip of a pocket knife blade.

Back