Mule deer

Nebraskaz71

Just wondering who here has shot a mule deer and to see some pictures. Always wanted to shoot one, none near me but a ton in the state. There is some public land in western nebraska I could probably hunt, getting a chance at private land without paying thousands is impossible. Love to get one someday!

I've killed several, most in Wyoming, but a few does out in Dawes County. We see a lot of them out there but don't hunt them. Too busy with whitetails. Problem in Nebraska is people kill every mulie with antlers. Tons of two points and spikes brought into the check station every year. Wish the state would figure some way to manage them better. Have to get on the 10,000 acre+ ranches in the Sandhills to have a chance at a good buck and that'll cost you a fortune like you said. LOT better odds in Wyoming.

I've mule deer hunted in Montana and Utah. Love all mountain hunting. Hope you get your chance.

I've killed several, most in Wyoming, but a few does out in Dawes County. We see a lot of them out there but don't hunt them. Too busy with whitetails. Problem in Nebraska is people kill every mulie with antlers. Tons of two points and spikes brought into the check station every year. Wish the state would figure some way to manage them better. Have to get on the 10,000 acre+ ranches in the Sandhills to have a chance at a good buck and that'll cost you a fortune like you said. LOT better odds in Wyoming.
Thats how it is with every deer here, i wish there was a size or point requirement atleast.

I've hunted muleys in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado and Montana. There are high quality public land hunts to be had but it takes time to figure areas out. I learned early that in states with special seasons, muzzleloaders offered the best trophy opportunities because of reduced crowds. If you're serious, I'd subscribe to the Hunting Fool, educate yourself, and start building points for draw units. In fact, it can now take points to even draw general season license. There are reasonably priced guided hunts out there but you ought to rely word of mouth, not advertising. Just my 0.02.

I was born and raised in BC so all my first deer were mulie, in fact it wasn't until I moved here to Alberta that I got my first whitetal.
October 2000 My dad and myself (I was 19 at the time) were walking a ridgeline in an area of the southern interior of BC we affectionately called "deer hill" for it's ability to consistantly produce big mule deer year after year. I had a limited entry draw for a doe so we pretty much knew that we were going to put some meat in the freezer that year. we had been walking for a few hours and were almost ready to haed back down to the truck but dad wanted to check out an old burn that he figgured would be grown back up enough to attract some deer. sure enough we came around the bend and standing in the middle of the clearing about 160 yrds off was one of the biggest mulie does I'd ever seen. Dad looked at me and said if you want her take her. I sholdered my old winchester 30-30 aimed for the top of her sholder and smoked her. the shot was perfectly placed and she dropped on the spot. I was so excited as this was only my second deer ever. We started making our way over to where my deer was laying when all of a sudden I see a blur of grey and a massive rack rise from the grass next thing I knew dad let two shot's go from his 30-06 and the big guy piled up not even 20 yrds from my doe. took us all day to pack the two down to the truck but what a day and what a buck.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0
Back