Moments We Live For

wbpdeer

In 2013 we got many photos on a long ridge of a good deer. My son was far more enthused then than was I.
During the summer of 2014, that same deer looked great - he had packed it on and was bedding consistently in good locations for ambush. I was still employed at the state election office and would have to leave the woods on Sunday at lunch in advance of the November Election.

We hunted Sunday morning and then we went to hang the stand we believed would be the demise of that buck. We were hunting and checking cameras. On Saturday during the camera check, my son blurted aloud - That is a Dead Deer Walking. He is here.

My immediate words - Don't Say That. We kicked it back and forth - my boy had counted the days of photo captures and the time intervals. The Black Face Deer as I called him was cruising the ridge.

We hung the ladder stand and pruned out. We used cover very well. When we were 90% done another member of the lease came walking up - they were shown our stand and they went out to a different ridge spur.

My son said he would hit it Monday afternoon first time.

Fast forward - I am at the State Election Office handling phone calls and last minute wrinkles the day before a National Election. My cell phone rings and it is 4:15 PM. I told the Assistant State Coordinator of Elections - this is my call. I hope it is what I think it is.

My son could hardly speak. He finally got it out - I, I, I think I just killed the Black Face Ten.

He said he was sure he heard him fall. He told the story and I said did it happen slow or fast. He said fast.

Immediately I knew it was captured on video. On Sunday we set the game camera on video because we had it on the scrape at the edge of the pond bank.

Video has been posted down this thread. Please don't miss it. Thanks.
Here is the video - it ain't long. Watch the bucks nose - when it tilts up a couple of inches - smack.

Buck grossed 153 and change. A great experience I will never forget.

That was a dead deer walking.

Until Video Issue is Solved here is the Hero Shot the Morning After.

Black Face Ten.JPG

Last edited:
Great story wbpdeer... but there's NO VIDEO! Crooked Crow thinks you play mean trick :(

See the red text please. I am trying to solve the problem. I assumed this site would support video. It appears that may not be true.

If no video then I have got to get it on YouTube so I can link to it. People more tech savvy than I am looking into it.

I ask you give me some time to get squared away.

Great story! Amazing buck! Just click on the little film looking icon above and copy paste the URL. (The one to the left of the plus)

Wayne, that is just an awesome story and deer. So many times the best laid plans don't work out for us, but in your case it seems to have worked to perfection. Deer like that are scarce for sure where I hunt, and to harvest one like that is icing on the cake to lots of hard hunting and planning. Thanks for sharing a great hunting story and picture.

Last edited:
Wayne, that is just an awesome story and deer. So many times the best laid plans don't work out for us, but in your case it seems to have worked to perfection. Deer like that are scarce for sure where I hunt, and to harvest on like that is icing on the cake to lots of hard hunting and planning. Thanks for sharing a great hunting story and picture.
My daughter is a school teacher and right now I have to wait my turn for her to get this video up on YouTube. I have never done that and will wait for her to solve this wrinkle.
You got some great deer on your farm. This deer was taken off a big lease in Butler County, KY - West of you by about 2 hours. Video shows the arrow as it hits the buck in a broadside view. Short but unusual footage.

Lak

Yes I was excited and pleased too. My friends that I worked with (none hunt) has enjoyed seeing this buck all summer and loved to see Monday photos after I camera check on the weekends. The deer's summer coat gave him the blackest forehead I have ever seen. He had white hair around the eyes. I lost the battle - I wanted to call him - Clown Face. His color changed when his winter coat grew.
He was fun to chase for two years. Game cameras got him a truck ride to the taxidermist.

Here is a photo from 8/13/2014 which I had doctored up for the guys at trailcampro out of Springfield, MO.

Black 8 Aug 13 2014 text.jpg

See his black face and white eyes.

Last edited:
See the red text please. I am trying to solve the problem. I assumed this site would support video. It appears that may not be true.

I always use Youtube or Vimeo. I don't know of any forums that you can download directly to,

Wow Wayne. The odds of getting that video on such a great deer harvest has to be low. Congratulations again to you and your son.

I shot a 170" ten pointer that was within 20 feet of a trail cam I had set for video. I wasn't as fortunate as you to catch it on video! Awesome

Back