Managing a clearcut

Well I’d send Dougherty a note and tell him you guys said he didn’t know what the hell he was talking about, but he’s dead so I guess I shall not. Just an option from a guru, it’s not biblical.
I’d certainly like to try it on an acre or two but then I do like thinking outside the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I’d send Dougherty a note and tell him you guys said he didn’t know what the hell he was talking about, but he’s dead so I guess I shall not. Just an option from a guru, it’s not biblical.
I’d certainly like to try it on an acre or two but then I do like thinking outside the box.

i enjoyed his book

Im sorry to learn that he has died

bill

I wasn't trying to be controversial, it just sounded like an odd management tool. I'd really like to see a research study and some multi-year time interval pics of a bulldozer with the blade set 2' off the ground running through saplings to improve habitat and tree value. It sounds too good to be true but maybe this is the holy grail of deer management? The price of older bulldozers may go up...

I would think that a bulldozer with the blade set 2' off the ground would not kill many trees but would cripple a lot of trees, leaving a worthless mess.

Ash was a valuable timber tree in Pennsylvania. But the ash tree borers killed them all, so I'm pretty sure that he doesn't have any ash.

Beech and black gum in PA are considered almost worthless for timber and wildlife.

Worthless for wildlife? Wow, PA must be a lot different from where I live....

I think the theory behind the dozer was to take an area that had began to restructure to pole saplings and its cover/food attraction to deer had rescinded. By knocking down the saplings it puts food deer level, opens canopy, and promotes new growth within the somewhat dying or slightly living “mess”.
The example took a once hot hunting spot of his dads that had become lackluster and almost immediately transformed it into a hot spot once again.
I don’t think in any way was it to manage for optimum timber even tho I would argue that it would , in that the preferred new oak growth would survive the heavy deer browse and could develope into mast producing , harvestable timber.

I do know Dougherty took a worthless abused track of land and transformed it into a buck meca. Applies in many ways to my own Random Clusters that produce results despite being heresy.

Last edited:
11 years ago we had a forester come in and do a cut. Throughout the property he marked out 4 area to be cut heavy. He left oaks standing throughout but it was as close to a clearcut as possible. For the first 5-6 years the deer were utilizing them heavy for browse. Now it seems like the regrowth is choking out the berry bushes and lower browse. Could this regrowth be cut back to promote that early growth and browse? Or should it be left alone until it’s time to cut again by a professional?
For what it's worth, here's what I would do. I would look up the ecoregion at https://bplant.org/ecoregion_locator.php to find out what historically grew there. Then, I'd take out the species that don't belong with whatever means makes the most sense for you. That could be hack and squirt, mechanical, cut stump, or variations. Basically, you'd be going in and doing a mid-story removal of trees that don't belong there which would allow the trees left to better compete. Then, you'd decide how that area fits into your goals. Adjust the succession be it early, mid, or late depending on if you want that area to be bedding or food. Bedding and food could look different also depending on what time of the year you want it to provide those. Just my 2 cents, and how I approach it.

If you can use that to take down sweetgums, I need you helping me.

Ya know, I only have one sweetgum that I am aware of and it is still standing.

Jiu-Jistu translation is the gentle sport. Professor would have taken that gentleman down without hurting him.

Black gum trees are a wildlife favorite in my east texas bottomland areas
bill

My ridgetop clearcut came to a halt up against this trio of blackgums.

DSC03073 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Ya know, I only have one sweetgum that I am aware of and it is still standing.

Can I come and kill the sweetgum and shoot that one pheasant?

Jiu-Jistu translation is the gentle sport. Professor would have taken that gentleman down without hurting him.

My ridgetop clearcut came to a halt up against this trio of blackgums.

View attachment 23274

G

I used Doughtery’s son Neil as a consultant and we specifically discussed how long it would take before additional browse/hinge cuts needed to be done. His response was it depends on the specific stands, but generally within 10-12 years. We have some areas where the regeneration has been explosive10-15’ tall and so thick a human can’t walk through it. Other areas my never see this growth. I figure I’m a few years away from needing to do some work in the thickest areas. Frankly a bulldozer crushing some that growth with its tracks would be a good thing it is so thick. My plan s to get in there and try to hinge cut half of the new growth to get lots of food back within reach.

Back