Low PH mixture

Crimson850

I planted my brassica plot in my plot that had the highest PH, which was 5.8. My other 2 plots are significantly lower. One bing 5.2, and the 3rd i didn't test but is probably the lowest of all. Looking for a mix to plant around labor day that can tolerate low PH. The plan now is a partial LC cereal mix of rye and red clover. I have 2 pounds of purple top turnips left over and 3 pounds of trophy rape i could add as well. Any other ingredients worth adding?

also, if I'm only adding rye and red clover, what seed rate per acre should I do?

you know its low and thats good. Knowing what it is - I'd toss down some clovers - to see what comes up. Its a good way to learn first hand on your own soils - Even if you just pick a spot or two and keep track. I've been surprised how low I could grow red clovers at - and even some white clovers -

5.8 isn't all that bad - you may find that reds and annual clovers like crimson clover will do pretty well - Stay away from fertilizers that will add to the acidity-

I think you couldn't go wrong by adding some oats. They are plenty cheep enough and the deer will love them.
I would do the fallowing;
80# rye
15# red clover
or
60-70# rye
60-70# oats
15# red clover

I think you couldn't go wrong by adding some oats. They are plenty cheep enough and the deer will love them.
I would do the fallowing;
80# rye
15# red clover
or
60-70# rye
60-70# oats
15# red clover
^^^^^^^ There you go, cheap and easy. Bet it does great.

you know its low and thats good. Knowing what it is - I'd toss down some clovers - to see what comes up. Its a good way to learn first hand on your own soils - Even if you just pick a spot or two and keep track. I've been surprised how low I could grow red clovers at - and even some white clovers -

5.8 isn't all that bad - you may find that reds and annual clovers like crimson clover will do pretty well - Stay away from fertilizers that will add to the acidity-

the plot that had a PH of 5.8 is the one I planted the LC brassica mix. The others, are closer to a PH of 5.

Well, hopefully you applied a substantial amount of lime, first and foremost. :)

Winter rye tends to do just fine on soils with a pH in the low 5's, but if that soil is also droughty, getting clovers or chicory to grow is a different story. I usually plant all three, along with oats, and monitor the progress of the white clover, chicory and oats as a barometer for how well my soil amendments are working. Over the course of 2-3 years, as the lime, fertilizer and OM are improved, you'll start to see better results from those more demanding plant types.

This year may be a challenge, but if you adopt a "soil first" approach, and understand that it's a marathon, not a sprint, you'll be able to look back on this year's results a few years from now and smile. Seeing where you came from makes it that much more rewarding when future plots are considerably better. :)

Back