Looking for suggestions

The last two years I have planted my one plot with real world soybeans. This plot is 3 acres. I want to switch it out with something else this year. I spread WR in the beans last fall. I'm thinking about an all clover plot but I'm not against breaking it up into two or three different foods. It's in northern pa. Any ideas? I am gonna do my other plots in turnip and radish. All my plots are located at the same spot. Kinda in a bigger field area broke up into three plots. Total area is between 7-8 acres. Thanks for the input

I always have more than 1 type just in case something happens.I would look at soybeans in half and winter wheat with a few daikon radish in other half if WW will grow there

I concur with LC rotation. For limited acreage, there is no better option IMO. I like to tweak it a bit by adding chicory to the white clover, and mixing different brassicas (which depending on type can be planted earlier). Basic plan however is outstanding!

I'd like to get into the LC mix. I only started this non addictive food plot business two years ago. My soils still need improvements but it's getting there. I'm still learning what the deer like and what they walk past. So far I know they hammer soybeans. Doing less than 3 acres of them is not an option. They hammer the hell outta them. Last year I mixed some clover, reds and whites with turnips. Again they hammered the turnips. I had a bunch of volunteer buck wheat which they tore up in the early stages. I have an old clover plot which has always been their last stop but that plot is at the end of its life. I believe I wanna try some chickery and in the old clover plot I'm thinking bout killing it off in beginning of July and I'd like to do turnips and radish in there. Mostly because of the tonnage you get and also to help loosen up the soil. Last year I did do about an acre of corn and brush hogged the last of down early this year. The turkeys took about 10 minutes after I got out of the field to get in and feast. I just need to get my game plan on for the 3 acre plot because I am heading up soon.

If your soil will grow soybeans, turnips and corn, it must be pretty decent. Nothing in the LC mix is any more demanding than those crops, but the inherent diversity and complementary nature of his legendary advice has been proven to an entire generation of food-plotters. I think if you look at your results, you'll realize that deer are basically going to eat what you plant. There is no "magic" bean, not even soybeans. While they're a good choice, if you have the acreage and deer density for beans to canopy, there are also other choices that are just as good. If your deer are eating beans, turnips and buckwheat, all with enthusiasm, your challenge is really to keep something growing year 'round while producing enough tonnage to keep them coming back. Those are the strongest attributes of the LC rotations.

You have a 3-acre field that was soybeans last year, which means it may have little growing there right now or it may be quickly filling up with weeds. I'd lightly disc and then broadcast oats and a red clover, with plans to terminate it in early fall for a rye+4 mix. (That is depending on what you're doing in the other plots this year.)

If your soil will grow soybeans, turnips and corn, it must be pretty decent. Nothing in the LC mix is any more demanding than those crops, but the inherent diversity and complementary nature of his legendary advice has been proven to an entire generation of food-plotters. I think if you look at your results, you'll realize that deer are basically going to eat what you plant. There is no "magic" bean, not even soybeans. While they're a good choice, if you have the acreage and deer density for beans to canopy, there are also other choices that are just as good. If your deer are eating beans, turnips and buckwheat, all with enthusiasm, your challenge is really to keep something growing year 'round while producing enough tonnage to keep them coming back. Those are the strongest attributes of the LC rotations.

You have a 3-acre field that was soybeans last year, which means it may have little growing there right now or it may be quickly filling up with weeds. I'd lightly disc and then broadcast oats and a red clover, with plans to terminate it in early fall for a rye+4 mix. (That is depending on what you're doing in the other plots this year.)

Last fall I did broadcast several bushels of WR into the beans. Wanted to have something green in there and see if it helped with weed suppression. But I haven't been up to camp in awhile to see how it's doing.

I'm gonna get back to reading the LC mix and go from there. I would spend every night before bed reading on the old "site". But it was information overload when I was trying to consume all this new knowledge.

You aren't far off, I think. I'd plant turnips/rape/radish in the old clover, loosen up the soil and scavenge some of the N from the clover. Plant the rye/wheat/MRC/Radish where the beans were and get a fresh clover plot going. I know clover isn't flashy, but it's the backbone of a plot program, and pretty low maintenance.

Last fall I did broadcast several bushels of WR into the beans. Wanted to have something green in there and see if it helped with weed suppression. But I haven't been up to camp in awhile to see how it's doing.

I think you'll be surprised with how well the WR has grown and it will give you additional options for what you do this spring.

You've got 7-8 acres, broken up into 3 plots? Heck, your property is custom-made for the full Lick Creek rotation. I don't know that there is a better program for deer food plots, especially given your circumstances.
Bout the easiest and most useful food plot system we've ever used on our place. I like the perimeter in perennial clover and the interior in a mix of brassicas n grains. You'll be surprised at how much of the year you'll have deer in your plot every single day. That clover will keep em coming in the summer.

Those beans should have given you some N to play with in that soil.....good to follow up with brassica and or grasses (corn or cereal grains). I love planting soybeans because they are a great summer forage and fall/winter grain and I can top seed brassica and cereal grains into them in the fall as well. Very versatile set-up IF you can get them to grow well based on your deer numbers. I also like planting a few rows of corn to act as screens AND provide that late winter carb as well. Toss in an area of cool season perennial mix and you have year round nutrition available for those deer. LC rotation is very tried and true with many so I don;t think you can go wrong there.

Sugar beets .... sugar beets ... and sugar beets - at least a couple of 1/2 acre plots. Here is a link about sugar beets from the Michigan Sportsman forum:

Sugar Beets at 44 days

I planted two 0.5 acre plots of them last year. I found 9 shed antlers this spring in those 2 small plots. This year I am doubling up and planting a full 2 acres of sugar beets along with my usual complement of other crops. Good luck.

Back