Looking for feedback on anyone usng a Woods FPS seeder for plots

l8_apexer

Have added to our property- anther 50 acres, 19 acres tillable. Excited about layout and potential to have larger, quality food sources to attract deer (and maybe hold them during gun seasons). Given that now we can easily have several plots that can be 1-6 acres each, broadcasting looks to be too labor intensive and looking for an implement for planting. My tractor is a 44hp Kubota, was considering a Woods FPS72- but can find little "real world" feedback of what it's like to actually own and use one. A couple friends are strongly pushing to get a no-till drill, however those are nearly twice as expensive (haven't seen one less that $13k, some almost $18k).
The soil quality is poor, has a lot of rocks (golf-ball to softball sized). It's going to need a lot of lime and a rehabilitation plan. Is the Woods unit a good fit for these needs (he have another 8 plots on the property that are 1/4 acre to 1 acre)? Are those who have them happy with them? Hate to spend $7-8k for a piece of equipment that won't serve the needs. Looking to plant brassicas, turnips, radishes, sugar beets, buckwheat, milo, native grasses, clovers, forage beans and possibly some sunflowers occasionally.
Thanks.

I've looked at them pretty carefully. I think they would work great at my LC rotations, but not for corn/beans. I've spoken with someone who has one and that was there assessment as well. I don't think my plots are no till drill ready because of the large rocks (I remove 5 and 7 sprout up and replace them). I've thought about it for the time savings but haven't pulled the trigger because I'm doing OK broadcasting (we have 17 acres of plots of which half are in annuals), and I already have a heavy disc and cultipacker. I've also looked the Kasco drills but have held off for the same reason.

We've used a one-pass planter for six seasons (Plotmaster), and like it. I've never used the Woods product but I have looked at them and really like the design. They are more compact that the Plotmaster. And, one of the most important functions, the cultipacker, appears to be better designed on the Woods product. It is positioned more underneath the implement which would put more down force when pressing seed into the soil. The Plotmaster has a floating cultipacker that unfolds behind the implement. They are truly a one pass planter once you have your ground prepped. The key is spraying the field a few weeks ahead of planting so that you're dealing with dead matter that the discs will cut thru and open up the soil for seed contact. The seed box is metered and handles any seed we have planted including beans. Never tried corn. The seed is evenly distributed and drops into the small furrows created by the disc, followed by the cultipacker. Our has been maintenance free going on six years. Can't imagine the Woods product not being the same.

Here's a couple of examples of what you can expect from a one-pass planter. This is our upper lower plot. We sprayed it with gly in late August and let it sit until the last week of September. After one pass with a mix of abruzzi rye and forage radish the plot looked like this. You can see the shallow furrows created by the disc. The seed drops in the furrows and is then followed by the cultipacker.
IMG_1986.jpg

We didn't have rain from the time of planting until late November. Incredibly dry for a long period after planting. This pic was a few days ago of the same plot. Keep in mind, no rain on this plot for almost 60 days.
IMG_0038.jpg

Here's a before and after of our hour glass plot that took a lot more prep. This plot was used as a logging deck for recent logging operation and was heavily compacted. Had we tried a one-pass planting on this plot my guess is that due to the compaction, it would have failed. It was like concrete in places. We sprayed, then subsoiled and then disced. Took a lot of prep to get it ready to plant and then it was still clumpy due to the compaction. Planted in late September with one pass and after a month, thought it was a failure due to the drought.
Plotmaster hour glass.jpg

Same plot on Christmas Eve after rains finally came in late November and regularly since.
12240371.jpg

Last pic is an area we had clear cut below the cabin. Removed all the stumps and then planted rye around the 20th of November. You can see how the rye germinates really well in the furrows.
Plot master cabin field.jpg

Kind of lengthy but hope it helps in seeing how a one pass planter performs, provided you have your plots prepped by spraying first. It is critical to 1st spray with gly weeks ahead of planting. Otherwise, you'll be planting in a mess of weeds and such with very poor results. Based on my experience with the Plotmaster, and having looked at the Woods product, I think you would be well pleased if you decide to pull the trigger on the Woods product.

I have a Woods seeder and it would work well for the seeds you mentioned, but just be aware it’s really is not a true no till drill and does not plant beans and corn in true rows. Like you said it’s a lot less than a no till drill and does plant a large field faster and with a lot less work compared to broadcasting by hand. I have rocky soil and it works fine.

I have a Woods seeder and it would work well for the seeds you mentioned, but just be aware it’s really is not a true no till drill and does not plant beans and corn in true rows. Like you said it’s a lot less than a no till drill and does plant a large field faster and with a lot less work compared to broadcasting by hand. I have rocky soil and it works fine.
t
thanks for the feedback. I ordered it, so will post on how it works out. I plan to run soybeans thru it- don't need them in orderly rows (no plans or ability to harvest). from what I have been told- alllowing 2-3 weeks for the glyophophate to work is key. Just to be on the safe side- I'll be discing the fields first as prep- since this is a new property for me

We've used a one-pass planter for six seasons (Plotmaster), and like it. I've never used the Woods product but I have looked at them and really like the design. They are more compact that the Plotmaster. And, one of the most important functions, the cultipacker, appears to be better designed on the Woods product. It is positioned more underneath the implement which would put more down force when pressing seed into the soil. The Plotmaster has a floating cultipacker that unfolds behind the implement. They are truly a one pass planter once you have your ground prepped. The key is spraying the field a few weeks ahead of planting so that you're dealing with dead matter that the discs will cut thru and open up the soil for seed contact. The seed box is metered and handles any seed we have planted including beans. Never tried corn. The seed is evenly distributed and drops into the small furrows created by the disc, followed by the cultipacker. Our has been maintenance free going on six years. Can't imagine the Woods product not being the same.

Here's a couple of examples of what you can expect from a one-pass planter. This is our upper lower plot. We sprayed it with gly in late August and let it sit until the last week of September. After one pass with a mix of abruzzi rye and forage radish the plot looked like this. You can see the shallow furrows created by the disc. The seed drops in the furrows and is then followed by the cultipacker.
View attachment 5218

We didn't have rain from the time of planting until late November. Incredibly dry for a long period after planting. This pic was a few days ago of the same plot. Keep in mind, no rain on this plot for almost 60 days.
View attachment 5219

Here's a before and after of our hour glass plot that took a lot more prep. This plot was used as a logging deck for recent logging operation and was heavily compacted. Had we tried a one-pass planting on this plot my guess is that due to the compaction, it would have failed. It was like concrete in places. We sprayed, then subsoiled and then disced. Took a lot of prep to get it ready to plant and then it was still clumpy due to the compaction. Planted in late September with one pass and after a month, thought it was a failure due to the drought.
View attachment 5220

Same plot on Christmas Eve after rains finally came in late November and regularly since.
View attachment 5221

Last pic is an area we had clear cut below the cabin. Removed all the stumps and then planted rye around the 20th of November. You can see how the rye germinates really well in the furrows.
View attachment 5222

wow- looks great- I planted my plots in mid august- we didn't get rain until late september so little growing season for the brassicas I put out. Hope the weather cooperates more next year

Kind of lengthy but hope it helps in seeing how a one pass planter performs, provided you have your plots prepped by spraying first. It is critical to 1st spray with gly weeks ahead of planting. Otherwise, you'll be planting in a mess of weeds and such with very poor results. Based on my experience with the Plotmaster, and having looked at the Woods product, I think you would be well pleased if you decide to pull the trigger on the Woods product.

Back