Leaving up Ladder stands

A lot of the newer stands like the muddy ladders I just bought this year have the black mesh synthetic material for the seat and back rest. Anybody have any history of those deteriorating rapidly if left out season after season? Straps are easy to replace and was just concerned about the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

A lot of the newer stands like the muddy ladders I just bought this year have the black mesh synthetic material for the seat and back rest. Anybody have any history of those deteriorating rapidly if left out season after season? Straps are easy to replace and was just concerned about the seats.
Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

After 4 or 5 years they will start to break down. I have an older one that has been out for about 4 years and I am seeing some significant deterioration. We have a new Hawk ladder out and I plan to take the seat off after the season.

I have three ladder stands that I built out of treated 2x4 and put up over 20 years ago. They have never been moved. These ladders are 16 feet high, with 16 feet 2x4s being the legs. I did use 1x4s for the steps and part of the platform.

Back then I was man enough to put them up by myself. But two years ago I decided to do another one and had to call someone to come and help me...:D

Last edited:
After 4 or 5 years they will start to break down. I have an older one that has been out for about 4 years and I am seeing some significant deterioration. We have a new Hawk ladder out and I plan to take the seat off after the season.
I will probably do the same then.

I put up my ladder stands yesterday ..barely ..plum wore me out ..nice and cool ..like 82 degrees and lower than normal humidity ..but if it had been the the normal temp and humidity I would have only gotten one up (maybe)before I timed out!
70 years old, 3 shoulder surgeries, a missing disc and 2 knee surgeries are telling me putting up and taking down ladder stands is not much longer in my future ....It's probably even telling me it's time to stay out of tree stands ..but I'm an addict ..the thought of acorns falling ..deer acting like hogs and me in a tree stand watch'in it all ..picking and choosing my bow shot ...so any way++++++++++++++++++

How bad would would it be if I left my steel painted ladder stands up ...but relax the straps for tree growth and camo tarp them at end of season .. any other thoughts are appreciated

By the way ..I quit using all the ladder sections and only use 2 now so my butt sits about 10 feet off the ground ..I'm in a gillie suit top and have a skirt of camo mosquito netting around the lift up shooting bar ..There has been zero ...zero changes in the deer's attitudes ..I do hunt the wind though

Bear

the question I have is why take them down? And what do you do with them when you take them down ? Build or buy stands that can take the elements IMO.

Back