Lak with too much time on his hands

lakngolf

Well, I thought we still needed to keep things in perspective. I have upgraded, revised and renamed based on your suggestions from the other forum. So here are

Stages of DeerHunterForum Member

1. Deer Hunter: Avid deer hunter enjoying the experience of chasing whitetails in the woods and an occasional food plot. These guys on forum like deer hunting, I think I will join in.

2. Tree Grower: Oh My!? Look at all these places that could use a new tree. I could gather a ton of acorns and other seed, start my own nursery, grow some seedlings, and fill that area with mast producing trees. Wow! Look at the price of those trees at Walmart, Lowes, TSC. These are a steal. This is going to be easy, and I will have deer coming from miles around to check out my new orchard. I wonder if anyone on the forum has ever grown trees? Whoever heard of growing a tree in white tube? Or maybe I could learn how to graft some persimmons onto this sweet gum!

3. Brush and Bush: What? You say all my trees look too much like a Park and I need to cut some down. You do know that my Grandpa and I sat on the ground next to that old oak when I killed my first buck. And NOW, it would be best to cut it down, to make room for brush and bush? Well, give me that chainsaw and here goes. But surely I could get some money for these beautiful trees. Let me check the forum to figure out what TSI means and what I need to cut

4. Heavy Machinery Operator: Well, if we are going to cut those trees then at least I can push some open areas to create some remote food plots. I wonder what equipment I can rent to do that. Do you think my 20hp tractor would push that 100 year old tree? I bet someone on the forum has done this.

4a . Well Digger These deer need water. I know they have found it ok for all these years, but maybe I should build a few mud holes so they can drink water closer to my game cameras. Should I use a tub, or a liner, or just use this excavator and dig a pond. Wow, love to see the pictures of deer using the water hole, but WHY did all these hogs show up? Oh Well, bacon wrapped tenderloin would taste mighty good.

5. Tree House Builder: I think I need some new blinds to hunt these orchards and remote food plots. I wonder who has the best plan for these? How big is big enough? Sliding windows, should I install heat? cable? If I still had that old oak tree I could put one up against it. We had good luck from the ground there, so surely a Taj Mahal would be even better. Surely someone on the forum has built one.

6. Farmer: You know, if I would upgrade to about 80hp and get a hydraulic disk, or better yet a 7 foot tiller, I could knock out some food fields that would make Whitetail Institute proud (and richer). I can plow that field so smooth, create a Youtube video quality seed bed, fertilize, broadcast seed, pack and sit back and watch the deer flock to the new fields. Soil test says I need 14,000 lbs of lime per square foot, so I will probably need this new spreader that I found on Craigslist. Maybe a forum guy has a better idea.

7. Agronomist: I have the most comfortable tree house around, all the amenities. I have the most beautiful food plot that looks like Augusta in early April But when I sit here I notice that the deer are always eating whatever is growing in the path I bush hogged thru the old field. What is up with that? No lime, no fertilizer, no 7ft tiller. It is just dirt that has been there for years, the weeds and grass have grown up, I cut it down, many times it just creates a thick mulch. And that's where the deer like to eat. Maybe they did not see the BOB bag that I used to plant this field. Or maybe I need to figure out what it is about the path thru the field that they like so much.

8. Naturalist: Well, except for running that bush hog a few times each year, and eating an apple or two from the orchard, there is not a whole lot to do on this old farm. This habitat stuff is pretty easy. I am so glad to see that this oak tree is about big enough for grandson and me to sit here next year and see if a young buck will show up. He is ready to kill his first one, and this looks like a good spot to sit.

Good stuff Lak. You left one out though- Land Investment Advisor: One who spends tons of money and time to improve the habitat and convinces his wife it is an investment in property value and future profit (even though you never intend to sell the property) :D

Good stuff Lak. You left one out though- Land Investment Advisor: One who spends tons of money and time to improve the habitat and convinces his wife it is an investment in property value and future profit (even though you never intend to sell the property) :D
I'm guilty of this one too Flyfixer.

I'm guilty of many of these. Also another one could be spending hours and hours helping friends with their habitat work.

Lak before you write that song for Native Hunter answer me one questions.

Will they allow you to sing in the shower or do they leave the house when you do? :rolleyes:

They don't like it when I sing in the shower. Guess I should get my feelings hurt - but I just keep singing.

Lak before you write that song for Native Hunter answer me one questions.

Will they allow you to sing in the shower or do they leave the house when you do? :rolleyes:

They don't like it when I sing in the shower. Guess I should get my feelings hurt - but I just keep singing.
I have an outdoor showerR

Sitting in airport in Bloomington, IL getting ready to head home and folks around me are wondering why I'm laughing. Good stuff Lak!

Back