Killing Japanes Stilt Grass ??

Double L

I have a couple questions about how to go about killing JSG.
1 pre-emergent 'what kind"
2 will it kill everything else in plots now?
3 when to start spraying?

That's not how I would attack it. I would use a grass selective post emergent herbicide every year until I exhausted what was in the seed back - doing an occasional spot spraying thereafter if necessary. That way I would be killing two birds with one stone - taking care of JSG, plus other unwanted grasses at the same time.

Here is a good link for you: https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/F-70-11

That's not how I would attack it. I would use a grass selective post emergent herbicide every year until I exhausted what was in the seed back - doing an occasional spot spraying thereafter if necessary. That way I would be killing two birds with one stone - taking care of JSG, plus other unwanted grasses at the same time.

I assume I already know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway...
Is there a Stiltgrass specific herbicide that will kill it in lawns? The crap has taken over my lawn (except for where the broadleaf weeds are).
My lawn is 70% shaded but I'm thinking of converting the other 30% to clover so I can use cleth to kill invading grass.
Stiltgrass is a serious issue in this entire region. Huge acreage has been totally smothered by the sh^t.

Excellent article. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a Stiltgrass specific herbicide that will kill it in lawns? The crap has taken over my lawn (except for where the broadleaf weeds are).
My lawn is 70% shaded but I'm thinking of converting the other 30% to clover so I can use cleth to kill invading grass.
Stiltgrass is a serious issue in this entire region. Huge acreage has been totally smothered by the sh^t.

I'm not aware of one, but I don't stay abreast of all the latest and greatest herbicide advancements.

It's absolutely everywhere around here. Even if you kill it, there is a good chance it will be back again - however it got here in the first place. It's shady spots that aren't mowed often where it seems to be the worst problem.

I'm not aware of one, but I don't stay abreast of all the latest and greatest herbicide advancements.

It's absolutely everywhere around here. Even if you kill it, there is a good chance it will be back again - however it got here in the first place. It's shady spots that aren't mowed often where it seems to be the worst problem.
Our woods are an absolute nightmare to walk in... all caused by Asian bullshit. The Emerald Ash Borer has killed all the ash trees and the ground is littered with dead ash parts of all sizes from little branches to huge trunks. Then, the Stilt Grass has grown like a jungle over the dead ash parts. There's no way to see where there is a secure place to step. It's so easy to stumble, twist an ankle or knee, or do a face plant. a buddy had a chain saw in his hand (they were out clearing access roads from fallen ash parts) and took a header. He injured his shoulder pretty badly and missed over half of our bow season because of it.

I haven't yet had a difficult blood trail thru the stilt grass but I know some day I will. Trailing a minimal blood trail thru grass isn't easy. I assume this crap will be miserable. A doe I shot this year died in Stiltgrass. I saw her go down from my tree so I knew where she was...she still almost disappeared in the tangle of the stuff. I was 3 yards away and still had trouble seeing her between the grass and the dead ask logs.
Our woods have changed so much from invasives. I can hardly remember what the place was like even as little as 10 years ago.

Our woods are an absolute nightmare to walk in... all caused by Asian bullshit. The Emerald Ash Borer has killed all the ash trees and the ground is littered with dead ash parts of all sizes from little branches to huge trunks. Then, the Stilt Grass has grown like a jungle over the dead ash parts. There's no way to see where there is a secure place to step. It's so easy to stumble, twist an ankle or knee, or do a face plant. a buddy had a chain saw in his hand (they were out clearing access roads from fallen ash parts) and took a header. He injured his shoulder pretty badly and missed over half of our bow season because of it.

I haven't yet had a difficult blood trail thru the stilt grass but I know some day I will. Trailing a minimal blood trail thru grass isn't easy. I assume this crap will be miserable. A doe I shot this year died in Stiltgrass. I saw her go down from my tree so I knew where she was...she still almost disappeared in the tangle of the stuff. I was 3 yards away and still had trouble seeing her between the grass and the dead ask logs.
Our woods have changed so much from invasives. I can hardly remember what the place was like even as little as 10 years ago.

Yes, the invasives are a never ending battle. If I ever run upon anything more that will help with Stiltgrass, I will let you know.

Unfortunately there isn't that I know of. It's a real pita & very invasive. To kill it, you've gotta pretty much kill everything it's mixed in with.

I will be fighting this battle along with you Double L. I'm going to try a heavy dose of clethodim in a couple weeks and see what that does.

Last edited:
I will be fighting this battle along with you Double L. I'm going to try a heavy does of clethodim in a couple weeks and see what that does.
I doubt the correct time to spray it with post emergent will be in a couple weeks. It really doesn't emerge completely until later, although your zone (7a) is probably a little earlier than here (6b).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I doubt the correct time to spray it with post emergent will be in a couple weeks. It really doesn't emerge completely until later, although your zone (7a) is probably a little earlier than here (6b).

Really it's going to be more like early Apr so I just "rounded down" and said a couple weeks. LOL. I started seeing growth last year in late Mar and by the beginning of May it looked like this so I thought the beginning of Apr would be a good time to catch it young and get a good kill.
1f882e61062c14176e0e66c889cb800e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tap
Really it's going to be more like early Apr so I just "rounded down" and said a couple weeks. LOL. I started seeing growth last year in late Mar and by the beginning of May it looked like this so I thought the beginning of Apr would be a good time to catch it young and get a good kill.
1f882e61062c14176e0e66c889cb800e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Geeze, I hate that sh*t.

I have a couple questions about how to go about killing JSG.
1 pre-emergent 'what kind"
2 will it kill everything else in plots now?
3 when to start spraying?
I'm not sure why you are asking this again? You and I had discussed this last fall on another thread, now you are asking the same questions again;
Oust XP is the only thing that works good for Japanese Stiltgrass in the woods or along forest roads. It's a preemergent in granular form that can be spread dry or mixed with water. This keeps the seeds from germinating which is the only way to stop stiltgrass while not killing the trees. It's suggested application is early spring before any germination starts, apply on the dead grass from the year before.

My NRCS forester gave me the above information.

Reactions: Tap
I'm not sure why you are asking this again? You and I had discussed this last fall on another thread, now you are asking the same questions again;
Oust XP is the only thing that works good for Japanese Stiltgrass in the woods or along forest roads. It's a preemergent in granular form that can be spread dry or mixed with water. This keeps the seeds from germinating which is the only way to stop stiltgrass while not killing the trees. It's suggested application is early spring before any germination starts, apply on the dead grass from the year before.

Thanks mennoniteman. I never used Oust. I might have to investigate the stuff.
Care to add any other input?

My NRCS forester said that spraying Japanese Stiltgrass with post emergent herbicide is like pouring gas on a fire, it kills the current growth of Stiltgrass and everything else that's growing, letting in even more sunlight to the huge Stiltgrass seedbank that is just waiting to pop up. The only way to control it is to kill the seedbank in the soil with OustXP, this should be done in the early spring after the last snowfall but before the Stiltgrass starts growing. In zone 6b that's towards the end of March.

My NRCS forester said that spraying Japanese Stiltgrass with post emergent herbicide is like pouring gas on a fire, it kills the current growth of Stiltgrass and everything else that's growing, letting in even more sunlight to the huge Stiltgrass seedbank that is just waiting to pop up. The only way to control it is to kill the seedbank in the soil with OustXP, this should be done in the early spring after the last snowfall but before the Stiltgrass starts growing. In zone 6b that's towards the end of March.
Any idea how many years seeds stay viable in the soil?

Will the Oust XP have affect on anything that will be planted later in the spring? How long does it last after applying it, can I just plant as I would normally after wards? Not trying to beat a dead horse, just wanting some more detail on a plan. I had even saved the screen shot of our former discussion but i couldn't find it. Thanks for the advice. I'm totally in the dark when it comes to this level of habitat management. If Im not making sparks on something Im outta my element. LOL

I think there are better options than Oust XP. This will kill and prevent germination of beneficial plants. Plateau is a good option. For rates on stiltgrass, Google Dr Craig Harper's studies on this. This is the second time I've posted about Harper's work on stiltgrass in this thread, so someone isn't listening...You can lead a horse to water...

Back