Killing Japanes Stilt Grass ??

sorry about the confusion on this topic, I may not have explained clearly enough on how simple minded I am on this subject. I have read and reread the articles that have been mentioned on here and the prior posts. If i would have the slightest clue as to what every one was talking about I may not be asking the the same questions again, sorry about this fellas. I still have not figured out as to when I spray either the plateau and or the oust as to when I can plant afterwards and will it kill what I allready have in my plots? [clover]. I have spent alot of time and money on seed and fertilizer to get stuff to grow in my plots, so I just didnt want to risk killing that if i dont have to. I belive at this point with my lack of knowledge dealing with spraying, I need to concede on this project and hire someone to come and take care of this till I get my PHD in chemistry.. As all ways thanks again for the advice, I just am not smart enough to put it to use this time.LOL

sorry about the confusion on this topic, I may not have explained clearly enough on how simple minded I am on this subject. I have read and reread the articles that have been mentioned on here and the prior posts. If i would have the slightest clue as to what every one was talking about I may not be asking the the same questions again, sorry about this fellas. I still have not figured out as to when I spray either the plateau and or the oust as to when I can plant afterwards and will it kill what I allready have in my plots? [clover]. I have spent alot of time and money on seed and fertilizer to get stuff to grow in my plots, so I just didnt want to risk killing that if i dont have to. I belive at this point with my lack of knowledge dealing with spraying, I need to concede on this project and hire someone to come and take care of this till I get my PHD in chemistry.. As all ways thanks again for the advice, I just am not smart enough to put it to use this time.LOL
No need to apologize. Dealing with weeds and herbicides can be pretty complex and the solutions are not alway black and white. I doubt that there are very many guys on this site that completely understand each and every of the dozens of herbicides on the market. On top of that, the brand name is not the active ingredient name. So, guys sometimes think they are referring to 2 different chemicals, but in reality, it's the same stuff. Take Raptor and Clearcast for example...same exact active ingredient, different brand names. No wonder we get confused!
I'm still trying to figure-out what I want to do with my stilt grass issue. I do know that there's no way I could afford to treat all of it. The stuff is so widespread...it's everywhere!

I have had great input on herbicides from Wes Weaver from Keystone Pest Solutions. KPS might be a good resource to begin your search and education about how to kill this stuff.

My impression...like a lot of other miserable invasive weeds, JSG is here to stay. We may be able to clean it out of select areas, but I seriously doubt that many of us can afford to completely, and permanently eradicate the crap.

If you are talking about stiltgrass in a clover plot, why not just use clethodim?

I think there are better options than Oust XP. This will kill and prevent germination of beneficial plants. Plateau is a good option. For rates on stiltgrass, Google Dr Craig Harper's studies on this. This is the second time I've posted about Harper's work on stiltgrass in this thread, so someone isn't listening...You can lead a horse to water...
Plateau will kill and prevent germination of beneficial plants exactly the same as OustXP, read this info from Penn State; https://plantscience.psu.edu/resear...tions/invasive-species-quicksheets/stiltgrass Quote: "add a low rate of the herbicide imazapic ('Plateau' at 1 oz/acre). The imazapic will suppress germinated seedlings while the insoluble herbicide moves into the upper layer of the soil to prevent further germination. This combination allows you to delay application while maintaining selectivity. At higher rates, imazapic would injure most vegetation" The idea behind the recommended spot application in mid-March is that only the seed bank is targeted, because most perennial plants don't have any foliage yet, and don't rely on a seed bank for survival. Also, apply in spot applications on only the dead vegetation of the previous years growth of Japanese Stiltgrass, there is very little else growing in these easy to identify patches. Penn State says this about post emergent herbicide, Quote: "Where well-established, we do not currently have the means to eliminate stiltgrass without treating every year for an indefinite period – which is not a sustainable approach". The only way to really make a difference is to target the seed bank, if someone is serious about getting rid of this stuff you will need to target the seed with very specific spot spraying.

Back