It's been a long time but I started prepping plots again...

Jethro

Once upon a time, on a forum long since gone, I knew a bunch of you guys. I think I went by the name Jethro back then, but not sure. I had a little spot in the woods where I grew trees from acorns, planted food plots, and did some hinging and so forth. I bow hunted in there and had lots of fun. But life kind of got in the way. We had a new baby girl about the time my boys started going deep in HS football playoffs. Then the 2011-13 drought hit and I couldn't keep plots or trees alive. The neighbors came in to redo the fence line and their dozer operator dozed out a bunch of my little trees. I got burned out trying to do too many things at once and basically let my little spot in the woods go to seed.

Well, my daughter is old enough to hunt now (she killed her first doe 3 years ago), and my oldest son is really starting to get into bow hunting. They both want to revive the hidey hole in the woods to the way it once was with planted trails and food plots, all that kind of thing. We have been working this spring and summer opening roads back up from fallen trees, putting tree stands and box blinds up, things like that. Last week when my son was down visiting we got out in the old overgrown food plot and got all the fallen trees and branches out of it where I could drive through it and spray. I got the old 4-wheeler out and cleaned the carb and got the sprayer all working again so I could start burning down weeds in preparation for fall plots.

Johnson grass and marigolds are horrible out there. I flat out hate marigolds when they go to seed. Attacking them with extreme prejudice is my top priority at this point. Saturday morning I went out and started burning things down. It took 3 tanks of spray to hit all the roads, trails, and the food plot with lead-ins to it. I think I got everything pretty good though. We are all pretty excited about it.

There are 2' tall stumps out in those weeds that you can't see, that should give some idea how bad it was in there. There was Johnson grass taller than my head as I was spraying. Good news is those old stumps are rotted enough now I think we can push them out pretty easy next spring. That will make the plotting much easier. We will just run a simple throw and spray (or mow) plot this fall and focus on cleaning up weeds and such. It will probably be mainly rye and brassicas, maybe some AWP.

Good to be back around you guys again, look forward to sharing pics and info.

IMG_3003, on

IMG_3002, on Flickr

Last edited:
Welcome back! Life sometimes gets in the way but it looks like you are well on your way to getting things under control...

Looking forward to following your hunting spot remake Jethro. And glad to see another NY zone 5 guy in the mix as well Nybhh. Welcome back guys.

It sounds to me like you have your priorities in line, both then and now. What better reason for getting back into habitat management than increased hunting interest from your children? Here's hoping we see more pictures of green food plots and smiling young people. :)

You let your plots go and dealt with future plotters. Now you have both. Welcome back. My drive for the habitat work is for my grandkids to have a blast exploring nature and wildlife.
Also, I want to grow pears like native hunter!

Well, like you guys said, sometimes other things take priorities. As much as we all love the deer hunting and management, in the end a guy has to take care of family and business first. I think this time around I know enough about it to work smarter and not harder too. Hopefully I learned from many of my mistakes. There is going to be lots of minimum till going on, lots of throw and mow (or spray) to conserve soil moisture. We do want to get back into trying to grow some trees as well. But it will be on a smaller scale that won't work us to death. Plus having a 25 year old son with a strong back will help me a bunch. I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery last year and have to be careful what I do.

Just got back from a week long trip to Arkansas for a family reunion. Went out and checked on the plot, looks like I got a good burndown. Now I need to see if I can borrow a tractor with FEL or skidsteer from my brother-in-law and get those stumps knocked out. Got about 8-10 that need to come out, but they are pretty soft. Shouldn't take too much to pop them out.

IMG_3044 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156517515@N04/, on Flickr

Man, it will take more than you think to "pop" those stumps out. I have been dealing with a few at home and my little 30 hp tractor is begging to let them stay there.

Mostly these are cottonwoods, and have been cut down about 6-8 years. I kicked at a couple of them and they are pretty loose. I seriously don't think it will take much to get them out. I could be wrong though. But there is one osage orange stump that will probably still be there after I am dead.

I was thinking the same on the stumps. Even the small excavators can struggle with stump removal if the stumps are large enough. I know a good technique for burning them out but they need to be watched over for 24 hours.

If you can get a set of pallet forks on a skid loader, they will make short work of stumps. Just poke them underneath and try to pop them out, might take a couple of pokes to cut the roots.

Once upon a time, on a forum long since gone, I knew a bunch of you guys. I think I went by the name Jethro back then, but not sure. I had a little spot in the woods where I grew trees from acorns, planted food plots, and did some hinging and so forth. I bow hunted in there and had lots of fun. But life kind of got in the way. We had a new baby girl about the time my boys started going deep in HS football playoffs. Then the 2011-13 drought hit and I couldn't keep plots or trees alive. The neighbors came in to redo the fence line and their dozer operator dozed out a bunch of my little trees. I got burned out trying to do too many things at once and basically let my little spot in the woods go to seed.

Well, my daughter is old enough to hunt now (she killed her first doe 3 years ago), and my oldest son is really starting to get into bow hunting. They both want to revive the hidey hole in the woods to the way it once was with planted trails and food plots, all that kind of thing. We have been working this spring and summer opening roads back up from fallen trees, putting tree stands and box blinds up, things like that. Last week when my son was down visiting we got out in the old overgrown food plot and got all the fallen trees and branches out of it where I could drive through it and spray. I got the old 4-wheeler out and cleaned the carb and got the sprayer all working again so I could start burning down weeds in preparation for fall plots.

Johnson grass and marigolds are horrible out there. I flat out hate marigolds when they go to seed. Attacking them with extreme prejudice is my top priority at this point. Saturday morning I went out and started burning things down. It took 3 tanks of spray to hit all the roads, trails, and the food plot with lead-ins to it. I think I got everything pretty good though. We are all pretty excited about it.

There are 2' tall stumps out in those weeds that you can't see, that should give some idea how bad it was in there. There was Johnson grass taller than my head as I was spraying. Good news is those old stumps are rotted enough now I think we can push them out pretty easy next spring. That will make the plotting much easier. We will just run a simple throw and spray (or mow) plot this fall and focus on cleaning up weeds and such. It will probably be mainly rye and brassicas, maybe some AWP.

Good to be back around you guys again, look forward to sharing pics and info.

IMG_3003, on

IMG_3002, on Flickr
Welcome Jethro. I'm a fellow food plot fanatic that's formerly guilty of having life get in the way of creating habitat. I'm looking forward to pictures of your first planting in many years. Allen

8 of the 10 stumps came right out, just using the truck in 4wd and a tow strap. Didn't even try hard. The other two the tops were too rotten and we ended up just pulling parts of the stump off until it was cone shaped. Just couldn't get a good grip. They aren't in there hard either, just going to need something with a blade to push with.

IMG_3089 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156517515@N04/, on Flickr

A single point chisel makes stump removal easier.
Chisel around stump to cut roots.
Those stumps were of the right age to remove without
heavy equipment.
Having to work around stumps is a pain.
Glad you got them out.

Been waiting on rain, like you always have to do growing food plots in the Texas Panhandle. Had a hog/varmint hunting trip down to Ozona TX this weekend, and when I got back Sunday we had gotten 1" of rain, with more forecasted for the next 3-4 days. So I grabbed my stuff and went out to the plot, got my Triticale slung out. Didn't have time to cultipack it though, just had to hope the rain would do its work. I had ripped it all up with a spring tooth harrow about a month ago, so there were little furrows for the seed to fall in. Rain should cover the seed just perfect in that, and be just fine.

Well, it got another 2.5" on it Monday, and probably another inch Tuesday. Good chance of it getting another taste or two in the next 3-4 days. Man did I time that one just right! Really excited about it now. I guess I should go get some fertilizer and also see if I can find some AWP or brassicas to throw in with it. I have the day off Friday and it would be the perfect chance to spice it up some.

This is what I was slinging my seed out on.

IMG_3121 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156517515@N04/, on Flickr

Back