Is both tree tubes and a cage needed?

Rmauch

Going to be putting in some apple trees in, is it wise to to use both tubes and a cage around them.
Please correct if I am wrong on this the tube is to make the tree grow up and the cage would protection against animals.

I don't use tubes and just put cages around my fruit trees,I also take window screen and put around trunk around 12" up for rodent protection.Just staple and done

We don't usually get much snow anymore but do agree it needs to be taller than any rodent can be.Whats your thoughts on tubing fruit trees?I tubes some crabs several years ago and they got a white fungus

If I am caging fruit trees then I am not using a tube. Like stated though metal window screening is a must. Yes, the tube causes the tree to grow taller as it reaches for sunlight but after a few years you won't see a difference so if it was me I wouldn't waste a tube on a caged fruit tree.

We don't usually get much snow anymore but do agree it needs to be taller than any rodent can be.Whats your thoughts on tubing fruit trees?I tubes some crabs several years ago and they got a white fungus

I have had poor results with tree tubes on fruit trees here.

I'm planning on screen around the first 24" and a cage either out of fence wire or pallets screwed together for my trees this year. Also weed barrier and maybe a bucket per tree with some holes in it to easy fill with water when watering is needed to help with run off and wasted water.

I guess I am in the minority and don't really know why people don't like tubing fruit trees but I have lots of crabapples, apples, pears, and persimmons that are in tubes and have done absolutely great. I read this all the time on this forum and the previous QDMA forum. Has anyone on here had problems tubing fruit trees?

One thing I didnt like was the spindly growth, my trees lacked caliper in the tubes. Also had issues with mold inside the tubes even though I live in a fairly dry climate. They would get packed with leaves from the growing branches and had poor air circulation (tubes were the vented style).

I put a tube and cage around my pear tree last year but this year i'm gonna do 2ft cage around trunk with the bigger cage outside of that.

Fire ants,mice,weeds,and coons love my tree tubes inspite of my best efforts with nets,herbicides,etc

I am moving to cages and mats this year

bill

Has anyone done testing with time release pesticide and or herbicide ie as long as it doesn't affect the tree?

Back