Interesting Perspective from a Landowner

Paradise725

Yesterday I ran into the landowner of a property I hunted a lot growing up and in college. It was a couple miles from my house and around 120 acres of mostly crops. She told me that I was welcome to come back and hunt anytime, just to give her a call beforehand. She explained how they had let numerous people hunt the place since I stopped hunting it and finally had to close it to hunting altogether. One man they let hunt had a tree stand accident and had to be life flighted out of their crop field (he’s fine now). Then they let the farmer who leases the ground for crops hunt it and here is where it gets interesting:

She said there were two things that drove them to close the property to hunting. The first was that the farmer basically let too many people come and hunt the property, and they always parked in a very visible spot that made the landowners feel like the property was being overused. The most interesting point she made was that the hunters would always be driving very nice expensive trucks. The landowner stated that “if they can afford to drive around in trucks like that then why can’t they afford to buy their own farm to hunt?” That’s a perspective that I’ve never considered. For people hunting for free/ permission only, if you roll up in a $60k truck with lift kit, wheels, exhaust, etc you might be making the wrong impression. I don’t think the expensive trucks were necessarily the straw that broke the camels back, but it definitely made it easier for them to cut those people off knowing they had the means to buy or lease their own ground for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My '96 F150 will give you a run for your money! It was even a low end trimmed model when new!!! And it's my daily! But I have also been suspected of being homeless before as well....

As for the land owners position....if I was in their shoes....I would prefer to let someone hunt that NEEDS the meat vs someone out for the antlers....

Free hunting bit the dust here about the same time smokeless powder was invented. :D Even the public land isn’t free, got to have public land permit.

Actually, when I was a kid you could hunt just about anywhere, but that was before there were any deer in East Texas. Once a pretty good deer herd got established, I’d say in the ‘70s or so, free slowly went out the window. I feel privileged that we only pay about $400 each for five of us to hunt around 400 acres here.

It doesn't take a lot for a land owner to feel that he is being taken advantage of.
I went through a period of not hunting and allowed a coworker to hunt my land.
A few examples, putting tree stands up on the property line, spraying without permission, chasing deer with a 4wheeler. Stupid crap that they don't even consider. Needless to say they no longer hunt the property.

Yeah the logger that drove the 50k truck and proceeded to tell me how much timber he needed to cut in a day to stay profitable didn't get the job either. But the guy in the beat up chevy s-10 did.

My gd wife wants to triple the size of our house and double the price, and right now we don’t even have the 20% for the down payment of the house she’s looking at. “But we make good money” is the dipshitty rationalization that many folks make to spend a bunch of money that they don’t have yet. “We can afford that” really means “we can afford the payments.” Am I the only one that doesn’t want to be in debt to a gd bank forever? I’m two months from paying off my student loans, and her dumbass can’t wait to pile on more debt because “we make good money” and we need to “live a little”. How about we go on a trip or go out for a really nice dinner instead of signing up for an enormous f***ing mortgage?!?

Sorry to derail....

To relate it to this thread, most of those bros with $50k trucks are just making the payments, they can’t really afford it.

My gd wife wants to triple the size of our house and double the price, and right now we don’t even have the 20% for the down payment of the house she’s looking at. “But we make good money” is the dipshitty rationalization that many folks make to spend a bunch of money that they don’t have yet. “We can afford that” really means “we can afford the payments.” Am I the only one that doesn’t want to be in debt to a gd bank forever? I’m two months from paying off my student loans, and her dumbass can’t wait to pile on more debt because “we make good money” and we need to “live a little”. How about we go on a trip or go out for a really nice dinner instead of signing up for an enormous f***ing mortgage?!?

Sorry to derail....

To relate it to this thread, most of those bros with $50k trucks are just making the payments, they can’t really afford it.

Okay g. Stop holding back. What do you really think?
Save, save, save. Life gets expensive.
On topic. I think people that don't own land, don't know the emotional attachment we have for it. What we consider disrespect and abuse, just seems no big deal. I've been on both sides. I meant no harm by my actions, but looking back, I made some bad decisions.

Sorry to derail....

The problem with a really nice house, is that you have to live in it, cause you won't have money to do anything else.

We lost hunting land to license plates. Expensive trucks from the next county over (city guys from the Wichita area) were always parked in the ditch and hunting wherever they wanted. They would run off a group and a new group would show up the next weekend. Landowners eventually told us "sorry, but the sheriff has been told to ticket everyone they catch... nobody has permission". The crazy thing is, all they wanted was a knock on the door and to be asked if it was ok to be there. In my entire youth I don't think they turned away a single person who asked.

Dang, I just bought a new truck. :(
Well, it's an 14yrs old but it's new for the stuff i drive. Hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

To me a sad commentary to judge a person by what they have or don’t have. Some of the best people I’ve known have had buckets of possessions and some of the best I’ve known didn’t have a pot to piss in. And some of the worst I’ve know have fit Into Those two categories also.

I’ve never asked to hunt a property but I’ve been asked to hunt numerous places that I was the only one allowed. The complaint of the owners of those thousands of acres of others that had hunted their places in the past was mainly were lack of respect for the permission given inviting others and lack of good hunting ethics.
I’ve become friends w each of these landowners being served many a dinner or breakfast by them. Time spent before or after the hunt jst sitting on their porches chewing the fat and caring and appreciating the permission given me.
Respect. That’s what it’s about. Not the damn truck you drive.

Back