In search of the perfect trad bow ladder stand...

I can see where you would like to be a little higher, but how hard can it be to add 3’ to the ladder ? I did it on a couple different tripods with no ill effects whatsoever. You can make an extension that slides over the original and drill a hole through both layers, then pin it. That way you could remove it for transport if need be.

I can see where you would like to be a little higher, but how hard can it be to add 3’ to the ladder ? I did it on a couple different tripods with no ill effects whatsoever. You can make an extension that slides over the original and drill a hole through both layers, then pin it. That way you could remove it for transport if need be.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a lot of extra climbing sticks laying around. Are they the same dimensions as a store bought sticks?

I was thinking the same thing. I have a lot of extra climbing sticks laying around. Are they the same dimensions as a store bought sticks?
No, they are not the same size as common ladder sticks. They are more like 1.5 x 1.5 inches. Much bigger diameter. A hang-on stand with a ladder stick is much more versatile, in terms of varying height. At 64, these are just much easier for one person to carry in, unfold the ladder stick, slide the base into the platform, and simply lean against the tree to secure than putting up the stick ladder and then hauling up the hang-on. Let's let a couple of months go by where I know I will have up close and personal encounters and I'll reply with my experience.

Looks good Triple. You still going to install a safety climbing line? Those steps are angled to look good for a steer maker if one happens to slip. You guys do disgust me with your flat land set ups tho. :) Good luck with your season.

Looks good Triple. You still going to install a safety climbing line? Those steps are angled to look good for a steer maker if one happens to slip. You guys do disgust me with your flat land set ups tho. :) Good luck with your season.
Always a lifeline when I leave the ground. Don't wanna start singing soprano. Oddly enough, the lean of the ladder stick is easier to climb than a straight ladder stick against the tree. Kinda like climbing a ladder with lean vs a vertical ladder.

btw, do you use bow stabilizers while shooting? just got interested, such ladders seem to be not very stable, especially if you have problems with your eyes. I mean, I'm the hunter who has -4 and I don't see flying, running or any moving things in ratio of 20 meters. Thus, I try to use my bow stabilizer as often as possible to make more accurate shots, however mine is of just awful quality. I was thinking of getting the one( nap, perhaps) from hibipod.com, however not sure if the quality is the same as it was back in 2010-s. Have u used nap? is it comfortable to use? any other suggestions? thanks in advance for contributing ;)

Last edited:
Sorry Cameron. Haven't checked this thread since last year. And no, I don't use any type stabilizer on my trad bows.

Update on my search for the perfect trad bow archery stand. These small Apollo stands are just to close to the ground. With the platform being only 9 ft from ground level, about the only tree I feel anywhere near comfortable is in a cedar with lower branches hiding me. Last season, after leaf drop, I didn't hunt any of these I placed in hardwoods.

The Rivers Edge Lockdown Bowman Pro is ideal. But, they don't make them any longer. I think I've found what will be my replacements going forward - Family Traditions L14 ladder stand with the 41" extension. Places the platform at 15 ft which is about perfect for traditional archery. Built like a tank as you would expect from Family Traditions. And very, very easy to assemble. Took me 15 minutes. With 2 people, I think it would be a 10 minute assembly. I bought 2 of these 3 weeks ago.

Back