Illinois Deer Harvest Numbers

I 100% agree with the three day system. Even a 2 gun and 2 archery doesn't break my heart. Just don't allow people to keep going back for archery tags. It is ridiculous that a person could go out and kill an unlimited amount of deer as long as they buy the tag. Upping the price as they go would definitely slow that down too.

I have no issue with taking multiple deer to eat them. Struggle a bit with those killing 6-8 deer and just donating them or giving them away.

On one hand, people are getting good quality meat at a low cost... on the other hand easy excuse to whack another deer.

I'd like to see a two tag rule (antlerless/either sex) and a choice to buy a third either sex tag.

Max two bucks and max three deer.

This should appease most everyone that is hunting. You could also hunt 3 seasons this way, bow, firearm, muzzle loader.

I think the 3rd tag should be more expensive also. They can make up some money that way. Make it double the cost of a previous tag. Then you really have to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
People would just buy tags in a relative's name. Too easy to cheat.

The unlimited harvest of any resource usually leads to problems. The most extreme cases involved the American Bison and carrier pigeons. Ducks, geese and swans got hammered pretty hard until the feds stepped in with treaties and greater regulations. If everybody shot 7-10 does each year, the deer population would probably decline dramatically over time. If it's a sport - and not a means of essential subsistence - a moderate upper limit (tags for a single individual) seems appropriate.

People would just buy tags in a relative's name. Too easy to cheat.
If they do that then they would at least be breaking the law. Right now there is nothing that can be done but watch the deer herd slowly diminish because our state allows people to kill all they want.

I guess I just don't understand from a hunting standpoint what it proves to go out and kill 10 doe a year. It really isn't anything to be proud of in my neck of the woods. I would think that just about anyone with a bow could achieve this feat. Sitting on a good food source you could take two an evening if you really wanted to. But, if they keep it up they will have to learn to really hunt to just fill their tags because they won't be there to kill anymore. Kill mongers will be the death (literally) to our beautiful Whitetail Deer herd.

Back