I Mowed "A Little" Radish

Semisane

I'm in S.E. Louisiana. The picture below (taken last Saturday) is of one of my small plots that was planted last October with a mix of wheat/oats/clover/chicory/radish. The radish went crazy and is now in flower.

47287226052_91d14260bd_o.jpg

I decided to mow it to see if the clover has survived being shaded out by the taller stuff. I cut it with by home made plot cutter that the guys in my hunting club call "The Batwing".

47287225892_4f51b83b8f_o.jpg

It doesn't appear as though much of the clover survived. It will be interesting to see what the plot looks like in another month or so.

47287225662_2af9a27e82_o.jpg

It took about twenty minutes to mow this 0.4 acre plot. This is the final result.

47339781481_fa123550c4_o.jpg

Last edited:
Must be a lot warmer over that way...ol man winter still hasn’t released us here in Oklahoma...

Beast of a mower you built, pretty cool. You could overseed a clover into that plot now and get some good growth by summer if you wanted.

I was concerned that if I let that much seed develop I would end up with a pure radish plot next Fall. I didn't think about trying to harvest the seed.

Well anyway, I have another 1/4 acre plot with radish approaching the same growth level that I haven't cut yet. I think I'll let the seed mature on that one and see if it's possible to harvest some.

It's pretty easy to harvest them, but I had deer eat most of mine when I would do it. I know our honeybees love the flowers.

Back