I have a question !

Drycreek

I’m about to convert a roller into a crimper, actually a drag roller into a three point crimper. I have a good friend who is a great welder/fabricator so I have that part handled. My question is; how far apart do the “fins” need to be on the drum ?

I put this in the food plot subforum because I figured it would get more attention from someone who can answer this. If it needs to be moved, admins feel free to do so.

I'm not sure there is a good answer to this. In general, you only need 1 crimp to terminate WR (which I presume is you target. Of course, one fin would clomp through the field very unevenly and would not be practical. On the other end of the spectrum, with fins adjoining each other, and you have a larger diameter roller. So, I think the answer may boil down to the equipment you are converting. More fins (ie. closer together) will make it roll better and easier. Weight may come into play. If the unit is light, you want the weight to be on one fin at a time as it rolls (argument for further separation). If the unit is sufficiently heavy, having all the weight on one fin at a time when it turns is less important.

If I were you, I would simply take a look at spacing on commercial crimpers and then look at the equipment you are converting, and see what makes sense.

681e77e4b1e712dd18e43a1d00dd0696.jpg

Roller Crimpers.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wondered why the chevron pattern. It makes sense. I’ll check out both sources, thanks guys.

I wondered why the chevron pattern. It makes sense. I’ll check out both sources, thanks guys.
Those are both great sources, especially if you are dong a build from scratch. They also provides some examples you can consider if you are modifying an existing roller.

Back