how to ship a large heavy item via contract carrier ?

JFK52

I could use some advice on how to ship a large and heavy (420+ pounds) item, specifically a single row tree planter. I have never shipped an item of this size. The planter currently sits on a "sled" that I made out of treated 2x4s that were part of a homemade tree stand ladder. It keeps the planter upright and locked in place. I guess I would need a good sturdy pallet or two or a custom made pallet because of the length of the planter. Where do I find a contract carrier who handles items of this size? I don't think UPS or FedEx would be any help. I can move the planter to Stevens Point or Madison WI to start it's journey to a new home.
Any help, suggestions, or your experience with this kind of shipping would be greatly appreciated.

A couple options;

Forward air, they have locations in most cities, drop & pick up the shipment at there terminals, used them several times without issue..
Tractorhouse has a link, I think need a hauler...? I've used a couple times.

I work for FedEx and yes we would ship it but it would be very costly. I bought a canoe last May from a guy in Florida and used uSHIP to have it transported to my house in Springfield Mo. Cost me $200. uShip is a website where you post your item to ship and hundreds of private transporters see your item and can bid on shipping it for you. You select the bid you want and make a deal. I went one step further and called a transporter directly that had bid on my item and further negotiated a price. The transporter I used was bringing a motorcycle to Springfield anyway so for him it was easy money and gave me negotiating leverage. It saved me another $100. I could not have been happier with the way it turned out.

Jeff

Last edited:
Band it or even ratchet strap it to a sturdy pallet.pallet needs to be able to be picked up by forks,then you can use uship or another shipping company.really not a big deal.Wish you were closer I might have a look,Want to trade for a truax nut planter

Mentioned already but one word friend, Uship. I had a 24' boat hauled from Houston to Northern Indiana for $700. Enter the weight dimensions and end to end locations along with some pics maybe and let the bidding begin!

No, I have no interest in trading for a nut planter. Thanks for the offer. I want to sell this unit so that I can use the money to build some sets of stairs to elevated stands on my land. My knees are shot with bone on bone contact due to osteoarthritis and I can not climb up the ladders I built to access my stands 25 years ago. I have been replacing the ladders with stairs, trying to do two or three stands every year. By the time I buy the treated lumber to build a set of stairs to a 14 foot elevated stand, I have spent about $150-200 per unit.
I have contacted uship.com and Fastenal about this shipment.

Fastenal sent me a quote that beat the only bid I go on uShip.com by $260. Granted I have to haul the planter in a wooden shipping box on a pallet to a Fastenal terminal. That is only going to cost less than $20 in gas and some of my time.

Back