How to go about........

struttingfool

Dealing with property line hunters? So I just purchased some land in May, I have not hunted the property in 10 years, but I know it well. I had permission to be on it just not hunt it. Same with the neighbors. So I was out "scouting" and went to locate a tree that I always said, should have a stand in that tree!!!!!! Well I found my tree and got looking around and found one of the neighbors stands about 70 yards from my tree, on the property line face my land. I know why the guy hung the stand their is because on the other side of the property line is thick nasty pines and it all flows out to my property which is an over grown field.

So I an not sure how to go about this? He is right on the boarder, and I know they hunted it last year because I have pics from trail cameras.

I plan on posting the property soon (as soon as this heat goes away). Do I put a posted sign on that tree? Do I add a note at the base of the tree and do I put there pic in with the note????

Any suggestions?

Strut

I don't know what your laws are in NY but in Illinois if the neighbor is hunting out of a tree on his property or even overhanging onto your property as long as the base is on his side, he can face his stand at your farm but can not shoot across the fence. I would put a sign facing his tree as close as you can get and maybe set up a camera pointing at it as well so he thinks he is being watched. Even if it is a dummy camera in case he has sticky fingers.

If you have pictures of him on your property I would definitely let him know that you have them with a stern warning that there will not be a second warning. Make the local game warden aware of the situation now so that he is aware of what is going on, so when the poop does hit the fan you are ahead of the game.

This is the way I have been taking care of things on the ground that I just took possession of.

Id try to contact them and address the problem with them first then maybe post a big no trespassing sign right in front of their stand on the line, maybe throw a game camera up somewhere to watch over it, or even run a stretch of barb wire fence down that portion of the property line.

I'm watching this thread with interest as I am conflicted in this area. Numerous members have commented on the past (QDMA forum) that they like to shoot does (I think) on the property lines. Yet others have contentious issues with neighbors who do that very thing. I've never hunted my lines for neighborly reasons, but if it keeps my interior full of deer I may consider it this year. At this point I'm still conflicted.

Jeff

So its right on the boarder and their is NO way he could shoot a deer on his side of the boarder, WAY TO THICK!!!!! the deer would have to be on my side even to SEE IT!!!!! And I didn't own the property last season, but I had cameras on it.

I think it is time to have a sit down talk. I would let him know that trespassing is not tolerated on your farm because of whatever your property goals may be.

Jeff - I don't see a problem on hunting property lines as long as done legally. Of course the hunter's ethics come into play when hanging a stand. I don't hang stands next to neighbor stands. If they have beat me to the spot I will move on a 100 yards down the line if possible. Here in Illinois we have small tracts of timber or fence rows. When the fence row is where you are sitting typically you are on a property line. Of course most guys don't think to hunt these areas which is what my attraction to them are. I always set my stands up as not to tempt me. I also try to contact all guys hunting adjoining properties if I know who they are. I have been known to tell the guy to shoot me a text to let me know when he is hunting that stand so I can stay out of the area if we are set up close and I do the same for them. These situations are tricky even when you know the neighbor is hunting your land. All you can do is line it with cameras and take care of things when you catch them on your property IMO

Dealing with property line hunters? So I just purchased some land in May, I have not hunted the property in 10 years, but I know it well. I had permission to be on it just not hunt it. Same with the neighbors. So I was out "scouting" and went to locate a tree that I always said, should have a stand in that tree!!!!!! Well I found my tree and got looking around and found one of the neighbors stands about 70 yards from my tree, on the property line face my land. I know why the guy hung the stand their is because on the other side of the property line is thick nasty pines and it all flows out to my property which is an over grown field.

So I an not sure how to go about this? He is right on the boarder, and I know they hunted it last year because I have pics from trail cameras.

I plan on posting the property soon (as soon as this heat goes away). Do I put a posted sign on that tree? Do I add a note at the base of the tree and do I put there pic in with the note????

Any suggestions?

Strut

It only makes sense to place posted signs on trees, fence, etc that mark the boundary of a tract. I think out of courtesy to the neighboring tracts hunter you may not want to put a sign on the tree his/her stand is mounted to.
In my opinion it is essential to establish and maintain a good relationship with your neighbors. In most cases they can be an asset to an absentee landowner/lessor. The person hunting that stand could be a "no-good so and so" or your future best friend. It could depend on you.

So its right on the boarder and their is NO way he could shoot a deer on his side of the boarder, WAY TO THICK!!!!! the deer would have to be on my side even to SEE IT!!!!! And I didn't own the property last season, but I had cameras on it.

I see. My guess is that he is shooting across the line onto your property. Do you think it's possible that the previous landowner was ok with it ? I would agree with others that an introduction is the best place to start. See where it goes from there. I would also post your property lines as well.
I have a new neighbor that moved in just prior to gun season last year. He had a very distorted view of where his property lines were until we met. Good thing as he had planned on hunting a stand that he thought was on his property. My 16 year old was in that stand opening morning. Nice enough guy just a bit clueless. It was his first time deer hunting.

Talk to them, and just tell them that you are aware that it's a good area, but shooting across your line is not permitted and it looks like the way the stand is pointed, that, that is the intention with the set.

Deer shot on the property line will not be able to be tracked on your property. Deer shot from stands 50 yards +, call me and I'll help you look :)

You get any push back or weird vibe, put a dummy cam, or real cam with a large sign that reads : property monitored by wireless cameras. If your picture is take , the authorities have already been called. Point it at his stand. Even if you don't own a wireless cam, the threat of one should do the trick. I am probably going to line our properties with these. Not that there is trespassing during the day, but no clue who may be tracking deer "after hours" in our sanctuary. Just cheap insurance :)

So, no one had permission to hunt this property for the last 10 years. That is why the neighbor hung the stand where he did, right on the border. His only possible shot is across the line

Of course the hunter's ethics come into play when hanging a stand. I don't hang stands next to neighbor stands. If they have beat me to the spot I will move on a 100 yards down the line if possible.
So you would not place a stand in this location on your own land knowing all of the above facts????

So, no one had permission to hunt this property for the last 10 years. That is why the neighbor hung the stand where he did, right on the border. His only possible shot is across the line

So you would not place a stand in this location on your own land knowing all of the above facts????

If my neighbor was hunting legally I probably wouldn't just to be courteous to them. But it is perfectly legal if you do. I try to pick my battles with neighbors. As someone pointed out earlier it is always best if you can befriend the intruding neighbor. If killing him with kindness doesn't work there is always the other option. I have used both approaches but always try the kindness approach first. Knowing the facts I probably would have already taken care of it with a stop by the intruders house. The problem is until you catch him shooting across the fence he is in his rights if your state does not have a law against hunting property lines. Basically the game warden would say you will need evidence that he is actually shooting across the fence. Unfortunately the only way to find out is after he has killed a deer and you will have to be in the area at the same time or be able to locate the blood trail or gut pile and leading back toward his tree.

Contact the guy and talk with him. Your relationship and standings will start there.

Be ultra careful while entering and exiting your stands in the dark. There are guys that will shoot at sound and movement without a positive id.

I don't hunt my property lines. I hunt dead center of our place most of the time due to the fact both sides of our place are deep hollows and on the west side we also have a very close house that belongs to our neighbor. It is in the only place there isn't a deep hollow... I have 1 neighbor with a blind about 75 yards off my fence to the east and that is fine because if they get over on their place they are fair game for them.

I have another neighbor who lets a few hunt and they don't have a stand near the fence but they do like to come set up on the fence and plop down next to a tree with a rifle. They do hunt their side for deer that are headed into our property from theirs. They have not shot our way yet...

I know by having discussions with the AG country guys the property/fence lines is where they all sit because there is nowhere to sit on the interior as it is all fields/crops...

You get what you give. Be nice to him and talk and go from there. If he's a jerk, then you know what you have. If you're jabbing him from the start with notes on his stand its probably going to get testy. I had a new neighbor one time hang a stand on my side of a fenceless line right after he bought the neighboring farm. I was beyond upset. I went and found him and we talked and have been great friends since.

Any suggestions?

Strut
1. Good neighbors are worth their weight in GOLD to an absentee landowner
2. Who owns the stand means everything in the approach (landowner/landowner kin/landowner friend ..etc) establish the owner
3. You've gone 10 years not hunting the ground ..if it is the adjoining landowner himself ..consider giving him the time to modify his ground to hunt it proper and legal ..a good will move might be to allow things as usual this season but that as of 01/01/2017 no deer turkey bear or whatever are not to be shot across the line
4. At many of our absentee farms ..many had been utilized by all the surrounding neighbors because of prior ownership (timber companies,heirs etc) were not present and did not enforce tress pass concerns ..so to counter that ..we determined what was important to our neighbors ..one wanted to ride horses ..we ok'ed it ..for one it was "his" best squirrel woods ..come on we said ...one like coon hunting ..we said don't leave a mess ..and one was a coyote hunter ...Please Please come on !!!

We explained to each neighbor our reason for buying the land (deer etc) ..but welcomed them on an occasional basis to pursue hobbies on our land ..just let us know just like we would ask them if we wanted to utilize their land

Today ..there is never evidence of coon hunter trash ..haven't seen a horse track in years ...the coyote hunter took 11 coyotes off us last winter and thanked us for the hunts ..the poor ole squirrel hunter passed away but I don't know that he ever hunted but in his mind he could ..but he knew he could

In every case those neighbors at one time or another gave us a "heads up" about events on or about our farms ..once a brush fire ..once timber damage by tornado ..couple of times kids n beer ..and once some bad guys casing our barn with equipment (Sheriff sacked them up with outstanding warrants)

So use your noggin and win some friends while you slowly secure you land! Good Luck and have a safe/great season!

Bear

A lot of good suggestions here. Get to know your neighbors first and then go from there. My neighbors know that all they have to do to track a deer on to my land is just a phone call first and vice-versa for me to go on their land. We watch out for each other. That alone is an important understanding to develop.

I have a couple gun blinds on the borders of my place, no bow stands though. The only way I can shoot is toward my own place, there are no windows in the back of the blinds. I do this so I can kill a doe or two without penetrating the middle of my place. I save that until later in the year. Besides, the does are coming off surrounding places to my plots, and nobody around me grows anything. If I'm gonna feed them, a couple of them are gonna feed me !:)

First thing is to know exactly where the property line is. Was it surveyed? Then put up some posters, once you determine the exact line not just an old fence or estimate. Once that is done, being so close to season now I would try and contact them so they have time to adjust. While you are talking to them you will know what your next steps will be. Word of advice, don't believe it when they say they won't go on yours. The only thing after that is catching them in the act with pictures and evidence. It's definitely not fun to deal with if they're a problem so hope for the best.

First thing is to know exactly where the property line is. Was it surveyed? Then put up some posters, once you determine the exact line not just an old fence or estimate. Once that is done, being so close to season now I would try and contact them so they have time to adjust. While you are talking to them you will know what your next steps will be. Word of advice, don't believe it when they say they won't go on yours. The only thing after that is catching them in the act with pictures and evidence. It's definitely not fun to deal with if they're a problem so hope for the best.

Buckly makes a very good point on the property being surveyed. My property was surveyed a few years ago and the surveyor put stakes in the corners as well as every 50 yards down the sides. I replaced the wooden stakes with 6 foot T-Posts from Tractor Supply and hung no trespassing signs according to wear the stakes were.

Back