How much time do you have available to deer hunt this fall?

Well I just officially requested my time off. I have the 3 Fridays before our general firearms season off (10/28, 11/4, 11/11) and the entire 2 weeks of our general firearms season off (11/14 thru thanksgiving)......with a "floater" in my back pocket, for just in case!

See I am a little opposite of J-bird. I hunt hard from 11/1 - to Gun Season 11/18 then will spend the gun season weekend travelling between farms busting trespassers or sitting on the outskirts in a stand just to watch to make sure no one tries to walk in and shoot one of my big bucks (or run them out of the country to be killed somewhere else). I will be lucky to fill a tag gun season anymore but that doesn't break my heart I would rather kill a buck with a bow any day. If it wasn't for being another day I can be in the woods I would rather gun seasons go by the wayside. This is when the trespassers do work around here.

See I am a little opposite of J-bird. I hunt hard from 11/1 - to Gun Season 11/18 then will spend the gun season weekend travelling between farms busting trespassers or sitting on the outskirts in a stand just to watch to make sure no one tries to walk in and shoot one of my big bucks (or run them out of the country to be killed somewhere else). I will be lucky to fill a tag gun season anymore but that doesn't break my heart I would rather kill a buck with a bow any day. If it wasn't for being another day I can be in the woods I would rather gun seasons go by the wayside. This is when the trespassers do work around here.

In our neck of the woods trespassing happens from September 1st to the first week in December... Our deer season opens October 1st but as soon as velvet comes off the deer get mercilessly pursued by the poachers...

J-bird - that sounds Great!

Our rifle season always opens at tale end of the rut...This year it is November 19th - December 4th which is actually pretty early for us. It is always the Saturday before Thanksgiving and runs 2 weeks...

Okie - I have several new farms I don't know much about but have heard from farmers and neighbors that there has been a problem in the past. We will see how it goes I do have the conservation police patrolling my farms and writing tickets for anyone on a farm without a pass.

Illinois gun is weekend before and the weekend after Thanksgiving. 7 days total. Everyone and their cousin will be in the woods those days.

At the fire station we work every third day. 24hr shifts,0700-0700, and then I'm off for 48. I have two evenings and one morning to hunt between days at the station.

With three kiddos 3 and under, my wife will have a lot to say as to when I get to hunt . Understandably so... Luckily, I live where I hunt. I can sneak to most stands and hour and a half before dark and still be on deer most times. Also, the wifey loves her some venison and understands my passion for hunting.

I have some vacation days in October but most of that will be taken up with pecan harvest.

I would love to build a box blind to take my 3 year old this year. Wouldn't be much but sure would love to take him with me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to be one of the 240 max guys, or use or lose. I retired last September and will have to be careful not to burn out my stands on our 120 acres. Last year I became part owner of a 225 acre camp in Ontario, that will help take pressure off my farm.

I am retired. I am obligated to work November 7 to 9th. Otherwise, I can watch the weather forecast and pick good days to chase those bucks. Four weeks from today I will be in a stand in Kentucky chasing one of four shooters.

Guess I don't have any excuses - should get 'er done.

I'm at the one year anniversary of my first real job, so I'm really cautious about how much time I take off. I only get 15 vacation days total per year, and I don't want to pi$$ either of my bosses (home and work) off.

I'm basically a weekend warrior at this point.

Right now I get 14 days off. Wife gets 4 weeks and we both started our respective jobs at the same time.

Had to burn a week for family vacation earlier this year, so I only have 2 or 3 days left for the entire year. Good thing is bow season starts on a Saturday this year. My manager is also pretty flexible as we are salaried and non-overtime, so I can eek out a few mornings or taking off early in the afternoon. I also get to work from home whenever I want, and the farm is about to get fiber internet to the home, so I can go out for a few hours morning and afternoon and still get my work done and be reachable. Won't happen this year as it's still cellular internet.

The short version is I'm saving those 2 or 3 days for perfect days after a cold friend from the middle of October until early November. Who needs time off at Christmas anyways?

I probably get to hunt 20 "sits" during deer season, which adds up to quite a few weekends and a morning or evening during the week when the weather cooperates or activity is ripe. I try to really start focusing on end of October through November, but found I had a high success of seeing deer a week or two after the rut in mid December last year. So I may shift more focus during that week so I don't get burnt out too quickly. I also have 2.5year so I can't be gone all weekend long

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Being retired and only doing some R&D work when I want to do it. I'm able to hunt when I feel like it. Hunting only on my own farm out back makes for quick and fast hunting.
Only health problems holds me back at times. Enjoy what time you have.

Being retired and only doing some R&D work when I want to do it. I'm able to hunt when I feel like it. Hunting only on my own farm out back makes for quick and fast hunting.
Only health problems holds me back at times. Enjoy what time you have.
Welcome to the forum, MK111.

I will say it's never enough. If I get 4 or 5 good, full days of hunting in early November, I am happy. Even thats a stretch sometime.

5 months each year from, Labor Day
(my birthday) until Feb 10 (home to stay starting Valentine's Day ??)
H2O Whitetails,
finishing Whitetail Slam this year

That's a bunch of time...

What is a "Whitetail Slam"?
There are 8 defined areas in North America that have specific ID specie of whitetail deer. Hunter must harvest a buck in any 4 to achieve
Designation. North Dakota this year will be my 4th area. Also plan to get bigger bucks, P&Y, in Ohio & KY, to replace smaller bucks I've harvested. Only 74 hunters have achieved award so far, & I'd be Tha FIRST to qualify using Xbow on 3 and muzzleloader on the 4th.

Retirement starts on September 1st so I guess I will have plenty of time. Having knee replacements in December, but October and November are looking pretty good to me!
I had total knee replacement in
July, 2011; did Doctor discuss option of u getting regular or customized fitted Replacement joint ??
Physical therapy is Most important;
Push to maximum, But do Not do more than prescribed. Never ice > more than 20 minutes at a time.
Voice of experience & Scolded for such. Have not had Any trouble in 5 years since.

I usually spend about 40 days in a tree, some days just a morning or an evening, some days both. Then another 30-40 days chasing birds if I'm lucky. There is seriously no better time of year than September through January.

Back