Homemade Trail Camera Hanger

Mennoniteman

Hanging game cameras to trees with straps leaves a bit to be desired and trying to find a straight tree has frustrated me for years. Plus, the strap is the most visible thing for thieves looking to steal a camera. I've yet to find a simple, cheap, strong, fully adjustable hanger on the market, so I started digging through my bolt bins to make some for free, and found enough parts for a dozen.
The main critical piece of this invention is a GRK 5/16 in. X 4 in. star drive washer head RSS structural screw. These are available at home depot. One 3/8" x 1" carriage bolt, one 1/4" x 1-1/4" pan head machine screw, three extra thick 1/2" flat washers, and one 3/8"& one 1/4" wing nut make up the rest of my cam hanger. Mig welded the 1/4" bolt head to the washers, and the structural screw to the carriage bolt head, bolted the two pieces together, gave it a squirt of rustoleum, and it was finished. It works even better than I expected, the camera is solid, and fully adjustable at all angles.
a55aa0a717fff04a6921c5cb2dd5f74f.jpg
4632425bc634c2ac80bf8d20e3b5bfa8.jpg
9512e3fe7eb00a8e4eb7f42b0f816159.jpg
b7fd485521a336c7b2ee126a6f9a6d11.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We use eye bolts. One is a lag and the other is threaded like the camera. Cut the one threaded like the camera off if needed and then put a bolt through the eyes of them both with rubber in between washers and tighten down. We use a longer lag bolt than what is shown in the picture and we use plain nuts instead of wing nuts .
a4a4c2999a0cbb68e393594485c6df43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use eye bolts. One is a lag and the other is threaded like the camera. Cut the one threaded like the camera off if needed and then put a bolt through the eyes of them both with rubber in between washers and tighten down. We use a longer lag bolt than what is shown in the picture and we use plain nuts instead of wing nuts .
a4a4c2999a0cbb68e393594485c6df43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I used that idea as my inspiration. I wanted a stronger, sharper point to screw into hard trees, or I would just have copied that one. The hardened structural screw that I used has a cut drill point (which happens to be on the backside in all of my pics) making it much easier to screw into wood.

I've done basically exact same thing for ozonics hangers. Look nearly identical. That way can put one with every set i hang around farm instead of buying basically what you made here for $20 pop straight from ozonics.

I've done basically exact same thing for ozonics hangers. Look nearly identical. That way can put one with every set i hang around farm instead of buying basically what you made here for $20 pop straight from ozonics.
I got these three on amazon for $10 and wasn't impressed that the elevation isn't adjustable, that's when I started rummaging thru my bolt bin. I'm surprised that there's not much on the market that's simple yet fully adjustable.

61mT9pss-tL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back