Hand spreader for large seed (buckwheat)

Brian

Season doesn't end here for another 9 days.... so of course I'm already thinking about next years plots. I have a spot that I plan to plant next fall and want to plant a spring crop of buckwheat to start prepping the soil.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a crank spreader that will handle large seeds like buckwheat? I use a Solo spreader for my small seed, but it won't handle anything larger than oats.

I use a Earthway, it has the red bag. We use that for all of our plots and for the most part I can’t complain at all.
Sometimes this is easier than trying to drive an ATV in circles with a seeder on the back. Get 2 of them and you and a buddy can seed a lot of ground in short order. I seed 2 acres at a time with one of these and it is pretty fast to do. We have used it for fertilizer, but you need to spray it off very well so it doesn't corrode anything. We tend to use walk behinds for fert and save the bags for seed.

I have a couple earthways as well. My only complaint is the plastic clip that holds the strap on.
Same here. Not a big deal to jury-rig it though.
My other complaint that I remedied was trying to fill the ploppy bag. Earthway thought they solved the issue with that stupid plastic stay inside the bag. Mine broke, but it didn't work very well anyway.
My solution was to cut out the botom of a 5 gallon bucket, then cut up the side of the bucket. That allowed the bucket to easily be slipped into the bag. The bucket keeps the bag open and upright. Fill the bag, then pull the bucket...seed stays in the spreader. Works like a charm.
I have pics somewhere. I'll look for them later and post them.

Same here. Not a big deal to jury-rig it though.
My other complaint that I remedied was trying to fill the ploppy bag. Earthway thought they solved the issue with that stupid plastic stay inside the bag. Mine broke, but it didn't work very well anyway.
My solution was to cut out the botom of a 5 gallon bucket, then cut up the side of the bucket. That allowed the bucket to easily be slipped into the bag. The bucket keeps the bag open and upright. Fill the bag, then pull the bucket...seed stays in the spreader. Works like a charm.
I have pics somewhere. I'll look for them later and post them.
Those pics are on another thread entitled "Do you hate to fill spreader bags". Search it Not sure how to attach the link with my phone...computer yes, phone...I have no idea.

Those pics are on another thread entitled "Do you hate to fill spreader bags". Search it Not sure how to attach the link with my phone...computer yes, phone...I have no idea.

Here's the pics from the other thread.
I put the Solo feeder there as a comparison to see the difference in filling an Earthway vs Solo. You can't really see in the pics, but the bottom of the bucket was cut out. The bucket has essentially becomes a rigid sleeve that holds the bag upright and open. It sucks to try to fill a floppy bag and opening of the Solo is only about 25% of the bucket method. This solves the problem nicely.

And as others have said, the Earthway can handle large seed. I spread sunflower seed with mine and sunflower is much larger than buckwheat.

1) Place the bottom-less bucket in the bag...
0a2ff6da53b2d058a09a72ef5bc47f46.jpg

2) Pour seed into the bottomless bucket.
36cccd782d50283e2b2add29711f10d0.jpg

3) Pull out the bucket...no spilled seed.
eb2545def9d63b64a014b6b9891e05b1.jpg

Earthway also makes a seeder with a large plastic hopper. It handles large seed, as well, without the problematic strap.

Earthway also makes a seeder with a large plastic hopper. It handles large seed, as well, without the problematic strap.
Had one. Sold it. It was just too large. It orients itself more on the front of the chest and came up to almost my chin. It made seeing where I walked very ackward. The bag style sits more on the hip. Much easier for me to have vision of my pathway.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Had one. Sold it. It was just too large. It orients itself more on the front of the chest and came up to almost my chin. It made seeing where I walked very ackward. The bag style sits more on the hip. Much easier for me to have vision of my pathway.

I agree, it's too large. I use a SOLO or my drill, but some people love them.

I agree, it's too large. I use a SOLO or my drill, but some people love them.
The hopper style Earthway might be okay for a big guy, a really big guy, but they are horrible for a smaller person like me. If I extend the shoulder straps so it hangs lower, then my arms are to short to reach the crank handle when it rotates to the 6 o'clock position.
The bag style Earthway really are nice, except for filling them. But my bucket invention solved that issue. Now I love that spreader.

Earthway bag, all I ever cared to use for seed, I had a little cheap drag behind for fertilizer.

G

The big Earthway is good for large seeds if you can handle it. The bag seeder will work fine for buckwheat, planted one of my bow plots with buckwheat last year with one.
That bottomless bucket for filling the bag seeder is a great idea Tap. I will be using that in the future. I have had a lot of spilled seed over the years with that damn bag folding over in the middle of filling it.

Reactions: Tap
That bottomless bucket for filling the bag seeder is a great idea Tap. I will be using that in the future. I have had a lot of spilled seed over the years with that damn bag folding over in the middle of filling it.
Make sure you make a cut down the side of the bucket. It makes it easier to slip into the bag and it then flexes back to fully expanding the bag after you get it in.

And another use for the bucket is to use it as a shield around sensitive or fragile plants or saplings when you spray herbicide or weed wack around them.
The bucket has multi uses.

Back