Hand cranking tiny white clover seeds

Shufigo

I'm having trouble getting the tiny white clover seeds metered through my hand crank style seeder. The smallest gate setting still seeds too heavily. I can get a decent seed rate by mixing seed with granulated sugar but with sugar at a dollar a pound, this makes for an expensive addition to my costs. Has anyone else experienced/solved this problem?
Shuf

Look at the Solo chest mount hand seeder. It has a better metering system than most of the garden store hand seeders. It has a plastic vessel for holding the seed and a nice weight distribution mounted on the chest. I've used it for all kinds of seed on a small field including clover and PTT which are very tiny.

To be perfectly honest, I don't plant without a nurse crop except for frost seeding, so I the Winter Rye acts as a carrier for my large coarse 3-point mount broadcast seeder for larger fields.

You could always run while you spread it to lower the rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 on the Solo chest seeder. You can crack it just a sliver. Works great for tiny clover and bigger seeds.

I think I have heard really good things about them too.

I have a SOLO spreader. For small seed I tape closed one opening and tape a piece of card stock with a appropriate size hole over the other opening for the rate I'm looking for. It is more likely you will put it on too heavy than too little. I shoot for 2 passes . North South then East West.

Last edited:
Get an extreme blower spreader. Should be able to outfit one on a blower for under $150 all in. Bonus if you already have a battery tool platform. You'll never buy another disposable seed spreader the rest of your life (for small seeds).

**I did not invent the extreme blower spreader**

Can you plug the hole so you can still use it as a normal blower?

Can you plug the hole so you can still use it as a normal blower?

Yes. You can close the opening just like any other spreader, and even take the hopper off in 3 seconds and use as a blower without that hefty thing up there.

Back