Hack n Squirt Update...

Triple C

I previously posted pics back in late winter of my 1st attempt at using the hack n squirt method for killing unwanted trees. I used a small hatchet, small hand sprayer and straight gly. Now that everything has leafed out, I went back in to the areas I used this method on and am very pleased with the results. Looks like I got a 100% kill on every tree, ranging from oak, sweet gum, winged elm and hickory. And some of these trees were quite large.
hack n squirt.jpg HnS VIII.jpg HnS I.jpg HnS II.jpg HnS III.jpg HnS IV.jpg HnS V.jpg HnS VI.jpg HnS VII.jpg HnS IX.jpg

Impressive!! Are you just opening the canopy to allow other trees spread their limbs or promote understory growth??

Side note .. reading a book while on lockdown on early frontiersmen that went into western VA WV OH KY IN IL and the tomahawk / hatchet scalping by both the Indian and White man was pretty routine and gruesome. Hopefully you not practicing a new art???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impressive!! Are you just opening the canopy to allow other trees spread their limbs or promote understory growth??

Side note .. reading a book while on lockdown on early frontiersmen that went into western VA WV OH KY IN IL and the tomahawk / hatchet scalping by both the Indian and White man was pretty routine and gruesome. Hopefully you not practicing a new art???

Releasing target oaks where the crowns were being encroached by other trees along with thinning a few of the smaller under story trees. As for the hatchet...gonna do my best to stick to trees. FWIW...Fiskars makes a really nice hatchet. What's the name of the book your reading?

Looks great. Di you do 3-4 hacks on the larger trees?
I'm looking forward to quite a bit of H&S on my place. I was just waiting until the sap flow slowed down a bit.

Looks great. Di you do 3-4 hacks on the larger trees?
I'm looking forward to quite a bit of H&S on my place. I was just waiting until the sap flow slowed down a bit.
Great question. This was my first ever attempt at hack n squirt. I've girdled trees in the past without treating with mediocre results so I was anxious to see how this method worked, particularly on larger trees. On the larger trees, some I completely girdled and then sprayed. Others, I made 6 to 8 hacks depending on diameter and sprayed. Surprisingly, so far they all appear to be dead. I used straight gly and soaked the hacks until the gly filled up the cut.

On the smaller trees that I could have easily just whacked down with a couple swipes of the hatchet, I just made a single hack and then applied the gly. All appear to be dead.

I've read that this method is effective any time of year except during the spring when sap is flowing at it's highest capacity. Now that I see the results, I will continue down the same hardwood draw in late May and see how effective it is during that time of year.

I’ve killed many a tree, some very large, by drilling 1/2” holes on four sides and filling with straight gly. Hardest ones i’ve had to deal with are hickories by far.

Releasing target oaks where the crowns were being encroached by other trees along with thinning a few of the smaller under story trees. As for the hatchet...gonna do my best to stick to trees. FWIW...Fiskars makes a really nice hatchet. What's the name of the book your reading?

Book was recommended to me by a friend made on the old quorum site I still stay in contact with from Ohio.
Called The Frontiersmen and as said was especially interest to me as part involves some my old stomping grounds in WV and Ohio. Also involves the other states I mentioned. A historical account written with footnotes of sources , as story of a Simon Keaton aka Butler that helped explore and settle much the new territory at similar time as his friend D Boone. Good read but 500 + pages. I’m half done. Makes one realize that I know no one who is tough enough to exist back then. At least not as an explorer. Bought on Amazon
4f2971eece1d81364b34becb8167db79.jpg

Book was recommended to me by a friend made on the old quorum site I still stay in contact with from Ohio.
Called The Frontiersmen and as said was especially interest to me as part involves some my old stomping grounds in WV and Ohio. Also involves the other states I mentioned. A historical account written with footnotes of sources , as story of a Simon Keaton aka Butler that helped explore and settle much the new territory at similar time as his friend D Boone. Good read but 500 + pages. I’m half done. Makes one realize that I know no one who is tough enough to exist back then. At least not as an explorer. Bought on Amazon
4f2971eece1d81364b34becb8167db79.jpg

I was once an avid reader, always reading something most every day. Sad to say, with the onslaught of technology and instant knowledge via the Gore created internet, I don't read anywhere near as much as I once did. Gonna give that one a go.

I’ve killed many a tree, some very large, by drilling 1/2” holes on four sides and filling with straight gly. Hardest ones i’ve had to deal with are hickories by far.
Tommy, I'm thrilled with the results so far, particularly on the larger trees. When I was squirting the gly in the hacks, I thought...no way is this going to kill this big ol tree. So far...smoked em all. Plus, pretty good workout swinging that hatchet for a couple hours at the time.

[QUOTE="dogghr, post: 103029, member: 29]Makes one realize that I know no one who is tough enough to exist back then. At least not as an explorer. [/QUOTE]

Sure would like to see some of today’s democrats try.

Back