Gut pile and carcass uses

j-bird

anybody use the guts or carcass from their deer for plotting purposes? The only reason I ask is that it seems like a waste to toss out those piles that may be of benefit in our plotting efforts. I never have and don;t have any suggestions as to how one would do such a thing.....just asking. We harvest between 3 and 5 deer a year off my place and if I can find a reasonable use and method for that stuff then ......why not.

Stake them down with a piece of fence and some rebar or t posts so critters can't run off with very much. Put a camera on it whether you hunt it or not.

I figured it would attract critters - I just wasn't sure if it would be of any value to soil building for food plots or fruit trees or the like. I guess I envisioned maybe some sort of "composting" potential......not that I do that, it was just a thought.

I figured it would attract critters - I just wasn't sure if it would be of any value to soil building for food plots or fruit trees or the like. I guess I envisioned maybe some sort of "composting" potential......not that I do that, it was just a thought.

You could compost it in some sort of cage or bin with a lot of wood chips or other compost. But the carcass and gut pile would be a limited amount of the total material required. I bent a cattle panel in a U that is about 6" wider than my loader bucket. It handles some hobby farm level mortality but I've never done anything over 30 lb in a 400+ lb pile. I'm sure there's ag information available but that's a bigger scale than most of us need.

Back