Grading tips?

35G Maintenance. - I decided it was time to do some maintenance on the 35g.

Actually, I screwed it up a week or so ago. I'm not sure how I did it. I bent the bracket that hold the hard-pipe where it connects to the aux hoses for the thumb. Last time I used it, I can't recall doing anything that would have caused this, but I noticed hydraulic trickling down the thumb. It wasn't bad, so I just continued working and figured I'd deal with it when I was done. When I finished up. I noticed the connector to the thumb was loose. I simply tightened it back up and there was not more leak. I checked the fluid and it was a bit low, so I topped it off. I didn't think anything more of it. Then the other day, I happened to look more closely at the boom and found that bent bracket. Of course since the bracket bent, so did the hard pipe that runs up the boom. I check with JD and they want $465 for the hard pipe and $50 for the bracket! Ouch.

Well, since there are no operational issues, just a greater chance of that hard-pipe getting hit again since it stick out a bit now, I decided just to use it as is for now. If issues arise down the road, I'll deal with it.

But it does need some routine maintenance. I ordered a filter kit from Amazon. It came about a week or so ago and everything looked fine at first. The outer air filter was pretty clogged, I tried blowing it out but decided it was too far gone to reuse. The inner filter was pristine, so I reused it. I had no issue with the air filter that came with the kit. I just put the inner filter on the shelf for later use.

Next, I was going to change the oil. I grabbed the oil filter and a filter wrench that fit it and headed out to swap filters. The wrench did not grab the filter. I took a closer look, and the filter was not the same size, neither was the fuel filter. So, that ended that attempt. I checked with Amazon and they said that since it came from a 3rd party I needed to deal with them first and they they would "see" if I qualify for a refund. So, I messaged the seller. I checked the add, and the listed filter part numbers were different than those on the filters. We will see what happens with this.

Next, I tried to change the final drive oil...yes, tried. I opened up the top hole cover just fine with a 5/16 hex wrench. I went to open the middle hole next and the wrench was way to large to fit. I have no idea why they have a different hex size for the middle hole but it is smaller. I could not find a hex wrench to fit. I found one that was close, but too loose. That made me think that for some reason the middle hole cover hex might be metric. I have a set of plastic handled hex tools that I use on bows. You can't get nearly enough torque for taking off the middle cap, but a 4.5mm fits perfectly. Why in the world would they use SAE on some of the hole covers and metric on others?

I could not find a 4.5mm at lowes locally, so I end up ordering a 4.5 and 5/16ths hex bits for my 3/8 socket driver. Looks like changing final drive oil will need to wait for them to come in.

Some days everything goes right!...Today was not one of those days...

Take it for what it's worth, but I wouldn't run junk Chinese filters in an expensive JD machine. I know they're expensive from JD, but not as expensive as the repairs could be from using junk. Some stuff from amazon may be ok, some, not. Even if the outside looked the same size, is the inside good? Your "luck" isn't always the greatest...

Take it for what it's worth, but I wouldn't run junk Chinese filters in an expensive JD machine. I know they're expensive from JD, but not as expensive as the repairs could be from using junk. Some stuff from amazon may be ok, some, not. Even if the outside looked the same size, is the inside good? Your "luck" isn't always the greatest...
You are right! I did not know these were Chinese knockoff's when I ordered them they were JD OEM part numbers. It looks like they stamped JD part numbers on knockoff parts and there were not even compatible parts. I plan to send it all back and start over.

Just on
You are right! I did not know these were Chinese knockoff's when I ordered them they were JD OEM part numbers. It looks like they stamped JD part numbers on knockoff parts and there were not even compatible parts. I plan to send it all back and start over.
Just one more way the Chinese are screwing us on a daily basis. It wouldn’t be nearly as bad if they were upfront but they use subterfuge to push their products. Sadly, we are helping them ! Us, the USA, is helping them. I’m guilty as well.

Cheap filters let up to 50% of oil bypass the filter altogether. I fight that battle every day with customers. They've got half million dollar plus machines, and they're trying to cut corners with napa filters. Filters, fluids, and operators are the factors that determine if your machine produces value or bills. You definitely get what you pay for in parts and fluids. Some are out there trying to produce the best, and others are out there trying to produce the cheapest.

Cheap filters let up to 50% of oil bypass the filter altogether. I fight that battle every day with customers. They've got half million dollar plus machines, and they're trying to cut corners with napa filters. Filters, fluids, and operators are the factors that determine if your machine produces value or bills. You definitely get what you pay for in parts and fluids. Some are out there trying to produce the best, and others are out there trying to produce the cheapest.
Yes, I just went through trying to figure all that out. The problem is that I could find no reliable source that could differentiate quality for air filters. I found a pretty good video on oil filters where they disected a bunch of brands for comparison. I could not find similar stuff for air filters, especially for excavators. The one that was on the machine was evidently doing a pretty good job. There is an inner and outer filter on the 35g. The outer filter was very dirty and clogging, but the inner filter was pretty much dust free. I blew them out with a compressor. I do that every so often.

Yes, I just went through trying to figure all that out. The problem is that I could find no reliable source that could differentiate quality for air filters. I found a pretty good video on oil filters where they disected a bunch of brands for comparison. I could not find similar stuff for air filters, especially for excavators. The one that was on the machine was evidently doing a pretty good job. There is an inner and outer filter on the 35g. The outer filter was very dirty and clogging, but the inner filter was pretty much dust free. I blew them out with a compressor. I do that every so often.

No need to try and differentiate, buy JD.

No need to try and differentiate, buy JD.
JD doesn't make them, just rebrands them. Not only are they much more expensive than equivalent from a quality maker, I have to drive to the JD dealer to get them or pay pretty high shipping. JD keeps obsoleting supplies by part number assigning new part numbers. When I find one that fits my unit on their website, it is no longer available. That doesn't mean they don't have a new part number for the same filter. I just have to go to JD to get the cross referencing. PITA...

Having said that, I do look for OEM when I can find it online.

35G Maintenance. - I decided it was time to do some maintenance on the 35g.

Actually, I screwed it up a week or so ago. I'm not sure how I did it. I bent the bracket that hold the hard-pipe where it connects to the aux hoses for the thumb. Last time I used it, I can't recall doing anything that would have caused this, but I noticed hydraulic trickling down the thumb. It wasn't bad, so I just continued working and figured I'd deal with it when I was done. When I finished up. I noticed the connector to the thumb was loose. I simply tightened it back up and there was not more leak. I checked the fluid and it was a bit low, so I topped it off. I didn't think anything more of it. Then the other day, I happened to look more closely at the boom and found that bent bracket. Of course since the bracket bent, so did the hard pipe that runs up the boom. I check with JD and they want $465 for the hard pipe and $50 for the bracket! Ouch.

Well, since there are no operational issues, just a greater chance of that hard-pipe getting hit again since it stick out a bit now, I decided just to use it as is for now. If issues arise down the road, I'll deal with it.

But it does need some routine maintenance. I ordered a filter kit from Amazon. It came about a week or so ago and everything looked fine at first. The outer air filter was pretty clogged, I tried blowing it out but decided it was too far gone to reuse. The inner filter was pristine, so I reused it. I had no issue with the air filter that came with the kit. I just put the inner filter on the shelf for later use.

Next, I was going to change the oil. I grabbed the oil filter and a filter wrench that fit it and headed out to swap filters. The wrench did not grab the filter. I took a closer look, and the filter was not the same size, neither was the fuel filter. So, that ended that attempt. I checked with Amazon and they said that since it came from a 3rd party I needed to deal with them first and they they would "see" if I qualify for a refund. So, I messaged the seller. I checked the add, and the listed filter part numbers were different than those on the filters. We will see what happens with this.

Next, I tried to change the final drive oil...yes, tried. I opened up the top hole cover just fine with a 5/16 hex wrench. I went to open the middle hole next and the wrench was way to large to fit. I have no idea why they have a different hex size for the middle hole but it is smaller. I could not find a hex wrench to fit. I found one that was close, but too loose. That made me think that for some reason the middle hole cover hex might be metric. I have a set of plastic handled hex tools that I use on bows. You can't get nearly enough torque for taking off the middle cap, but a 4.5mm fits perfectly. Why in the world would they use SAE on some of the hole covers and metric on others?

I could not find a 4.5mm at lowes locally, so I end up ordering a 4.5 and 5/16ths hex bits for my 3/8 socket driver. Looks like changing final drive oil will need to wait for them to come in.

Some days everything goes right!...Today was not one of those days...
I wonder if you parked with the hole that's supposed to be on the top so that the plug you could open would be on the side instead of the top and just add fluid in that position until it starts to come out? If you can make sense of my babbling that is. Don't know what things look like on the inside of the drives but if it's just open and not multiple chambers in there it should work no?

I wonder if you parked with the hole that's supposed to be on the top so that the plug you could open would be on the side instead of the top and just add fluid in that position until it starts to come out? If you can make sense of my babbling that is. Don't know what things look like on the inside of the drives but if it's just open and not multiple chambers in there it should work no?
Thanks for the idea, but I got it changed finally. It turns out I was reading the Harbor Freight T-handle Allen set incorrectly. It was actually the 5mm that I needed for the middle plug and those are available at the local lowes. I grabbed a 5mm hex bit for my 3/8 socket set. It took quite a bit of force. I actually had to put a pipe over the wrench handle, but I was able to crack both open and successfully changed the final drive oil.

The only thing left is the fuel screen. I'm still waiting on delivery of that. The engine oil/filter, air filter, and final fuel filter are done as well.

As for the bone head move I made, I spent more time looking at it. I did not hit the hard-pipe. I bent the bracket the hard-pipe connector was one. It is bolted on and I sheered one of the bolts. That bracket bent the hard pipe.

For now, I plan to do nothing since everything work fine. If I do have an issue in the future, I have a plan. Other than protection, I can see no reason why it has to be a hard-pipe there. My plan would be to get a hose built with the same connectors the hard pipe has. I would then disconnect the hard-pipe and bend it back into shape. I could then re-secure it in the bracket along the stick that it popped out of. I'd connect the hose and then cable tie it to the hard pipe. That has to be much less expensive than replacing the JD pipe.

Thanks for the idea, but I got it changed finally. It turns out I was reading the Harbor Freight T-handle Allen set incorrectly. It was actually the 5mm that I needed for the middle plug and those are available at the local lowes. I grabbed a 5mm hex bit for my 3/8 socket set. It took quite a bit of force. I actually had to put a pipe over the wrench handle, but I was able to crack both open and successfully changed the final drive oil.

The only thing left is the fuel screen. I'm still waiting on delivery of that. The engine oil/filter, air filter, and final fuel filter are done as well.

As for the bone head move I made, I spent more time looking at it. I did not hit the hard-pipe. I bent the bracket the hard-pipe connector was one. It is bolted on and I sheered one of the bolts. That bracket bent the hard pipe.

For now, I plan to do nothing since everything work fine. If I do have an issue in the future, I have a plan. Other than protection, I can see no reason why it has to be a hard-pipe there. My plan would be to get a hose built with the same connectors the hard pipe has. I would then disconnect the hard-pipe and bend it back into shape. I could then re-secure it in the bracket along the stick that it popped out of. I'd connect the hose and then cable tie it to the hard pipe. That has to be much less expensive than replacing the JD pipe.
I have a similar issue with the final drive on my mini ex. I was going to do some service but I can't get any of the plugs to move. I've got back problems so the height of the damn things is an issue for me just to try apply enough torque to break the plugs/caps at that height isn't a very good feeling. Doesn't help that I'm taller either. Said to hell with it and just called John deere and scheduled service on everything I have. I t will cost way too much to have them do it but at least it will get done....if they ever come out and do it that is. Like most places around here they are having a hard time finding enough help too. Hopefully they can come out before the temps drop too much.

Was going to add that for the hard pipe issue is that someone with some skill(not me) has a decent chance of brazing those lines and saving you the ungodly high cost of replacement with new. Worth a shot as long as it's not a 5 hour job to take the line off and put it back on only to find out that the "weld" didn't hold.

I have a similar issue with the final drive on my mini ex. I was going to do some service but I can't get any of the plugs to move. I've got back problems so the height of the damn things is an issue for me just to try apply enough torque to break the plugs/caps at that height isn't a very good feeling. Doesn't help that I'm taller either. Said to hell with it and just called John deere and scheduled service on everything I have. I t will cost way too much to have them do it but at least it will get done....if they ever come out and do it that is. Like most places around here they are having a hard time finding enough help too. Hopefully they can come out before the temps drop too much.
I can empathize with your back and then in early Sep I buggered a knee, so I'm a mess right now physically. I've always taken my tractors in for basic service because I was too busy to deal with it. We retirement nearing on the horizon I figured I try to do the easy stuff myself. I was concerned about stripping the hex openings. I first cleaned out the hex openings with a screwdriver. I then took the hex bit and tapped it in with a hammer before connecting it to the socket wrench. I actually broke one of the hex bits (large ones) when trying to open up one of the hole covers. The bit came out of the socket holder. I had to get a new one, but the hole cover did come off. I was careful not to overtighten them when I put them back on. Like I said, I put a 2' pipe over the socket wrench handle to give me more leverage. My next step as to heat the head up with a torch, but fortunately, I did not have to go that far.

Was going to add that for the hard pipe issue is that someone with some skill(not me) has a decent chance of brazing those lines and saving you the ungodly high cost of replacement with new. Worth a shot as long as it's not a 5 hour job to take the line off and put it back on only to find out that the "weld" didn't hold.
Actually, there is no break in the hard pipe, it is just bent a bit and sticks up where it is more likely to catch on something. I can't see messing with trying to bend it back and weld it if it cracks when I can have a soft hose made up at NAPA for a fraction of the cost JD wants for a hard pipe.

Soft line works well it's just that the hard lines stay in place and close to the machine so they don't get hooked on something and the hard line can take more rubbing. Not telling you anything you don't already know. I do like the way all of the lines and piping can be replaced in sections and seperate pieces. Wound up buying a cab lift/jack for tilting the cab for work that needs to be done there. I bought the lift tool from the dealer(only one they had) and it cost about $600 bucks if memory serves. Then when they came out for service they had to borrow my lift tool. Should have rented it to them for a "FEE". Somehow at the time I was the first and only person to buy an excavator from them. They have sold a few since then. Lately I've been thinking about trading in my 50G for a new one the same size but with a 6 way blade instead of the up and down only blade. Now they are a 50P whatever the difference is between a 50g and a 50P? Have researched the changes YET. Don't know how I managed without an excavator before. Once you start playing around you can find an endless amount of projects for an excavator. It's addicting.

Yes, that is why I was thinking of leaving the hard pipe in place after disconnecting it, so I could cable tie the soft line right along it. That would not still out much if any.

Your story about the cab lift jack is hilarious! Kinda sounds like what our local JD dealership might do.

6-way blade is the cat's meow! I wish I had one!

I have checked many a final drive on a dozer and the standard recipe for getting the plug unstuck is to smack it smartly with about a four pound shop hammer. That usually loosens them up enough to get them out.

Back