Got Mineral out today

horntagger

I hear this from different sources every year. “There are no studies that have proven that mineral licks have benefit to deer” Or better yet guys are putting a 20 lb bucket out in September or October and say that the result of deer being a stud on his property.

Well I believe that the first part is true – When you are putting 20 lb. block or bucket once or twice a year, really what effect can that have. Second part just lack of knowledge.

Now change that to 1,200 lbs. of mineral in a years’ time or 8,700 lbs of mineral in 10 years you bet that will make a difference.
But again this is my opinion and I know what works for me.

But you have to keep in mind that, it’s not the magic bullet you still have to manage your timber, food plots, natural forage, cover, water and etc. It’s an all around effort.

But minerals can play a role but not in a 20 lb effort but maybe in a 200, 400 or 800 lb effort.

Only running behind about a month but at least it is out. It happen a few years ago all sudden 200 lbs in one hole just disappeared along with alot of soil ended up increase to 400 lbs only problem now is I really need to find some good clean dirt and add dirt to holes also, big bolder that started out 12 to 14 inches below ground are now exposed.

Mineral Lick One - 400 lbs added today - Spring 2017 running total 4,800 lbs

20170526-114912_orig.jpg

20170526-115348_orig.jpg

20170526-115751_orig.jpg

Mineral Lick Two - 400 lbs added today Spring 2017 running total 3,900

20170526-121355_orig.jpg

20170526-121749_orig.jpg

Last edited:
The best place for deer to get the minerals they don't synthesize naturally is through plant uptake and ingestion. I'm torn between the potential mineral value provided to gestating and lactating does and the point source disease risks, but I do still put out minerals. I remind myself that deer have evolved with natural mineral licks, so creating an artificial one can't be a horrible idea, especially if it's more than just a block or rock.

The best uses for mineral stations are to provide the sodium deer lose when taking in a diet high in fluids, which causes excess urination and sodium loss, and for taking pictures of your deer for a herd survey. I favor the baiting method for a survey, but YMMV. IF (big IF) deer body size and antlers benefit from mineral stations, it is because Momma is healthier during the key stages of a deer's life, and fawns get off to the very best possible start in life. I suppose having those minerals readily available throughout their life is also useful, but a diverse plant life on any given property is still probably the best overall solution.

I know what the experts say, but I also know, that if I want to get a picture of every buck on my farm, I put my cameras over mineral licks.

I know what the experts say, but I also know, that if I want to get a picture of every buck on my farm, I put my cameras over mineral licks.

Is there a preferred time frame for that to occur? I've found that deer hit a mineral lick during spring and early summer, but after that, utilization becomes much more variable.

Interesting observations from some of the southern guys...I wonder if that's because of the heat down south, deer have to take in a lot more water, creating the excessive urination and sodium loss that us northern guys see in the spring and early summer?

Yep, for me it is late July and into August. Usually up to around Labor Day. Towards the end I'll have most all the bucks in hard antler. Once acorns start falling they tend to come by less and less.

Interesting observations from some of the southern guys...I wonder if that's because of the heat down south, deer have to take in a lot more water, creating the excessive urination and sodium loss that us northern guys see in the spring and early summer?

Maybe. Pure salt lick use is usually much higher in the spring here than other times. Mineral is in July and August as I mentioned.

July and August are the peak times for me in Arkansas as well. I keep mineral blocks out year round in the same location and have for the past 5+ years. As noted above, definitely a good way to a evaluate what kind of bucks you have running around if you put a cam on the mineral site

I have made and sold mineral locally for several years now and until I started this adventure, I just used it for surveys. Disease is always an issue when you have deer using the same food/mineral/whatever.... I have noticed in ALL of my testing and usage pictures(24/7/365), that it is either one deer or a family group(doe and fawns) using a mineral site and only them. The other deer that are not related or lower on the hierarchy, wait their turn. What ever deer is using the mineral at the moment is the only one there and will not let another deer come close, unless it is a "higher ranking" one and they will submit the mineral to them and wait their turn again. Does will use mineral year round, usage increases as the weather warms and the fawns start requiring more nutrition from the mother, drawing from her reserves and it drops off once the bucks start pushing them around. I see bucks start using minerals shortly after the first velvet bump appears on their head, their usage will increase drastically in July and continue until September when the velvet finally comes off. They will continue to visit the site for a short time after that, but other things are on their mind and they tend to go look for trouble. This year is the first year that I have had bucks that live on the adjacent properties coming to the mineral this early. I usually see a hand full of bucks using the mineral now that either live on the property or the neighbors. Every year, so far, I get pictures of bucks July through early September that live 2-3 properties over(1-3 miles) at my mineral sites. It will get you excited until you figure out that you probably won't see them but once or twice, if at all during season.

Does it help? It doesn't hurt. I see differences in the deers physical appearance(coats) the more they use it. I think of it as a prenatal vitamin for the doe and her upcoming fawn. I think it increases fawn survivability from being born healthier. Do bucks grow bigger antlers from using it? I think it helps their bodies get some of the added nutrition it needs, so the excess nutrients can go into antler production, but age helps more than anything. No study has proven that minerals truly help increase antler production, but none have disproved it either.

"I think of it as a prenatal vitamin for the doe and her upcoming fawn." -- That's the best argument for mineral supplements I've heard and is the only reason I'm willing to risk putting it out.

Science hasn't proven mineral stations result in bucks with larger antlers, but we DO know how and why bucks grow larger antlers: As a rule, they grow larger antlers when all of their other physical needs are met, with a surplus, allowing them to direct minerals from their skeletal structure into the formation of larger "bones" on top of their head. There is more to it than that, but suffice to say that a buck who wants for nothing, in terms of nutrition, is one that is most likely to express the health of his environment by sporting impressive head gear.

Lest anyone misunderstand my intentions, I focus on trying to provide that healthy environment and measure the success of those efforts with a scale, not a tape measure. I would much rather shoot a huge-bodied buck that makes his rack look small, than a buck that appears to have huge antlers, but only in comparison to its body. (A trip to Saskatchewan is on my bucket list!)

Bucks are just now really starting to use mineral blocks here and from now until white oaks start dropping they will be on them. Does are using as well and they really hit them hard while nursing.

302e39304285e0d486cf10591f1bc9cf.jpg

79818c87a02fbb6cad9b17231b98cf3e.jpg

85cabb40c22d06555fe041c0f347d946.jpg

9f600f1d28854c850c627d60bb7f8198.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back