Forage Soybeans, which one?

If you have any commercial ag neighbors, find out when they are going to plant and put yours in a couple of days behind theirs.

May have hogs? Shucks son, they like family. We have quite a few, but not as many as in the past. We do a lot of trapping and let some fellas come in about March and catch what they can with dogs.

Usually, if there is plenty of food in the woods, the damage to our plots is a minimum....usually. Believe it or not, we still have acorns. When you go to planting $100 beans, yeah I can see your point.

Gonna give it a go despite the hogs.

I don't know where you are in SE Texas, but I hunt one place near Groveton that has hogs galore. I can't plant beans but I can plant IC peas. Go figure. There's just not that much difference in the size of beans vs peas.

I've never tried it, but I've been told you can pour corn out around the plot for a few days to feed the hogs until your seed germinates, thus saving the crop. Might cost a guy a few dollars though at $6/$8 a sack.

I don't know where you are in SE Texas, but I hunt one place near Groveton that has hogs galore. I can't plant beans but I can plant IC peas. Go figure. There's just not that much difference in the size of beans vs peas.

I've never tried it, but I've been told you can pour corn out around the plot for a few days to feed the hogs until your seed germinates, thus saving the crop. Might cost a guy a few dollars though at $6/$8 a sack.

I could see that working - especially if you guarded the corn pile with an AR15 and night vision.;)

We are in Newton County. I have seen the same thing with deer. Planted ICPs in the past and deer showed very little interest. SB, they eat like they are going out of style.

Hogs ate up my eagle seed bean seed the first two nights last year in one of my plots that I have been planting with beans for about six years - and the deer love them. I planted some Tecomate Lablab plus- it is mostly ebony pea. That stuff was a jungle. Grew to the top of 12 ft tall coffee bean. I couldn't see were the deer touched if for three months. Next door neighbor ag farmer's 600 acres of ag beans turned brown and dropped their leaves and the deer pretty much ate that jungle of Tecomate to the ground in late fall. Ate every bean pod.

Hogs ate up my eagle seed bean seed the first two nights last year in one of my plots that I have been planting with beans for about six years - and the deer love them. I planted some Tecomate Lablab plus- it is mostly ebony pea. That stuff was a jungle. Grew to the top of 12 ft tall coffee bean. I couldn't see were the deer touched if for three months. Next door neighbor ag farmer's 600 acres of ag beans turned brown and dropped their leaves and the deer pretty much ate that jungle of Tecomate to the ground in late fall. Ate every bean pod.

That sounds like a crop that would work for summer and fall. I have zero ag anywhere I hunt as this is pine timber and cattle country. I'm pretty sure "my" deer wouldn't let it get to jungle stage.

Wont be long now, 4 more weeks and they go in the ground.
What kind of ground do you have. I am 300 miles north of you and if it quit raining today, I am not sure I could walk across my beanfield in four weeks without sinking in to my ankles - let alone run equipment across it. Havent seen the sun in a week, raining today, two inches forecast for tomorrow, and on and on.

What kind of ground do you have. I am 300 miles north of you and if it quit raining today, I am not sure I could walk across my beanfield in four weeks without sinking in to my ankles - let alone run equipment across it. Havent seen the sun in a week, raining today, two inches forecast for tomorrow, and on and on.

He’s being optimistic. Hell, ain’t we all ? Realistically speaking, I have plots I could plant today if the ground wasn’t so cold. I imagine my peas will go in the middle of May or a little earlier, maybe last of April. Can’t tell in Texas though, sometimes weird weather happens.

First off for full disclosure, I am a small time Eagle seed dealer. I use and recommend the Northern Manager mix for all my clients in Wisconsin. They take the browsing pressure well and 20% of the soy beans in them actually produce pods. Of course, the are RR which is a must for me. I also recommend that everyone who buys a bag of beans buy the $6 inoculant per bag each and every season. Just cheap insurance when you have spent quite a bit on the bags already why skimp on the inoculant?
I plant between 5 to 8 acres or RR ag beans every year for an over winter food source. This allows these beans to develop the most bean pods on them by deflecting the browsing pressure to the Eagles. Eagle makes different mixes for those who don't live so far North as myself. I have no personal experience with them.
I don't have hogs and from the comments in this thread never want to see them on my land.

Sandy loam, 2 plots on a hill and ridge. 1 on the side of a ridge on a saddle. Lack of rain affects me more than too much rain. Rain only affects my time to put seed in the ground.
I have a lease close to my house and it would be very difficult to put seed in the ground right now, it is all flood plain, so I understand both sides of that coin.

First off for full disclosure, I am a small time Eagle seed dealer. I use and recommend the Northern Manager mix for all my clients in Wisconsin. They take the browsing pressure well and 20% of the soy beans in them actually produce pods. Of course, the are RR which is a must for me. I also recommend that everyone who buys a bag of beans buy the $6 inoculant per bag each and every season. Just cheap insurance when you have spent quite a bit on the bags already why skimp on the inoculant?
I plant between 5 to 8 acres or RR ag beans every year for an over winter food source. This allows these beans to develop the most bean pods on them by deflecting the browsing pressure to the Eagles. Eagle makes different mixes for those who don't live so far North as myself. I have no personal experience with them.
I don't have hogs and from the comments in this thread never want to see them on my land.

No sir, you do not want them on your land. A few are ok, but a few turns into too many. Every 3 months 3weeks and 3 days they can drop a litter.

Really hard to beat Eagle-I use the Game Keeper here in oklahoma. I like the variety it provides. If the deer allow them to mature you will also have beans through the winter.

todd

Back