Foodplotting In The Mountains...The Sequel

I was once asked in here what my suggestions were for a new property owner for their land management beginnings that I had learned. While I don’t think I mentioned equipment I will heavily suggest if you can afford it a tractor of any size or year. Particularly if you work alone it can be like having couple muscled guys at your disposal. For some reason global warming has caused all things to be heavier such as logs , rocks , fence posts, trailers etc and I need the extra grunt??!!

I moved some trees , some road repair , drainage upkeep, and hauling ,all in a few hours that would have been much more sweat and time related wo one. Plus it’s just plain relaxing!!

a3a8f418dbb48f9d2474767f8a05236c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must reflect on my Random Clusters that I have talked about so much. The logging operation is will certainly make changes in their function perhaps but here are some observations of the RCs.

No doubt the 4 major ones I did from the lower property to the back ridge certainly changed deer movement. Buck and doe travel and bedding was increased in each of the Clusters. Two areas that never saw bedding or buck movement almost immediately did so w hinge cut trees. Especially w the upper ridge #4. I now almost always see or jump bucks from this area and it is a regular pathway morning and evening of deer from a neighboring prime bedding area.

The other 3 Clusters also show bedding and numerous rubs as deer transition toward the back ridges. I think also the fact they exist several hundred yards down wind of my plots also attribute to movement

It’s my intention that the selective logging and the chosen areas of heavier timbering will in the near future will embellish the minor clusters I had developed. It will take a few years for these to develope with undergrowth properly. Time will tell and I will certainly let you know of my success or failure.

Had fun this week while working some downed timber with this busted up little buck. Followed me around most the day in a once neglected part of farm. And these open areas should be thick soon as nature does her stuff.

Let the land dictate your actions and success is more predictable. Deer survived quite well long before Man decided he knew more than nature. Just some ramblings from a mountain man. Enjoy your land and be thankful. Peace

“The land knows you, even when you are lost.”—Unknown

fe0bd2068560960a413a562a4b9eed96.jpg

d3d2ea783a22dd080672f096feb8d343.jpg

Last edited:
I must reflect on my Random Clusters that I have talked about so much. The logging operation is will certainly make changes in their function perhaps but here are some observations of the RCs.

No doubt the 4 major ones I did from the lower property to the back ridge certainly changed deer movement. Buck and doe travel and bedding was increased in each of the Clusters. Two areas that never saw bedding or buck movement almost immediately did so w hinge cut trees. Especially w the upper ridge #4. I now almost always see or jump bucks from this area and it is a regular pathway morning and evening of deer from a neighboring prime bedding area.

The other 3 Clusters also show bedding and numerous rubs as deer transition toward the back ridges. I think also the fact they exist several hundred yards down wind of my plots also attribute to movement

It’s my intention that the selective logging and the chosen areas of heavier timbering will in the near future will embellish the minor clusters I had developed. It will take a few years for these to develope with undergrowth properly. Time will tell and I will certainly let you know of my success or failure.

Had fun this week while working some downed timber with this busted up little buck. Followed me around most the day in a once neglected part of farm. And these open areas should be thick soon as nature does her stuff.

Let the land dictate your actions and success is more predictable. Deer survived quite well long before Man decided he knew more than nature. Just some ramblings from a mountain man. Enjoy your land and be thankful. Peace

“The land knows you, even when you are lost.”—Unknown

fe0bd2068560960a413a562a4b9eed96.jpg

d3d2ea783a22dd080672f096feb8d343.jpg

Any recent or semi recent pics of your clusters? My grandad years ago did clear cuts and a few of them still look great. One has absolutely been taken over my silver and stripped maples unfortunately. The task of getting rid of all of them is too daunting for me.

Any recent or semi recent pics of your clusters? My grandad years ago did clear cuts and a few of them still look great. One has absolutely been taken over my silver and stripped maples unfortunately. The task of getting rid of all of them is too daunting for me.

I’ll try and find some but it may take Sherlock. Some are posted on an old thread of mine in Habitat I think titled Random Clusters. But nothing recent. I’ll try some updates on here

Try this hookup for some old pics. Just a bunch of unsubstantiated random thoughts of a crazy man

Here a few pics from parts of early cuttings on perimeter of a cluster. Initially I cut and then each year would expand the cluster with additional cuttings. Usually in the winter which improves the area but also drops feed for deer in mid winter.

As the random clusters exist for several years I begin to see more bedding within them especially against the structure created by dropped trees.

Some are more brushy and some , like this one, become more of a Savannah type understory grassland.

5b6d09c7e1418698ca0d284ad45da62b.jpg

96e9be99d259c87d2d1d870520bb5405.jpg

a6f0e0e2efca5927d27e2a0b87438a59.jpg

7d5119c25d366d9126ebf14f6b870732.jpg

I usually am doing my hingecutting during these cold months but w logging still in place there is no need for me to do such

Weather has been crappy as with most of you so I went for a day of skiing. It’s one of the few sports that I’ve never broken a bone and hope my luck doesn’t run out. Sure helps take care of the winter doldrums. At nearly 3 score 10 I’m happy I still have no fear which can be a bad thing sometimes

Did go down to farm after most of snow melted yesterday and put out some mineral licks. Just used the brown blocks from Tractor Supply. Cheap and I’m not a great believer in them any how.

Pic of tree down is why I don’t enter woods in high winds. Funny, I had it red blaze marked for the logger NOT to cut. I guess God felt otherwise.

I still ski all the slopes I always have. But Omy legs don’t last the whole day any more. Went alone as my skiing buddies have either passed or quit skiing. So I cranked up some 70/80s music to keep me company
Take note of the last pic of the paraplegic skiing!! Don’t ever let the old man in!!

b6435ecdba23e2bbb94d5729b2022a27.jpg

02f0ce73ad193edf9630dacf27255c30.jpg

e7d6764dd149219d7945d9a489fad419.jpg

91167d3a042d198a02237a944f29fd96.jpg

5db8a508dee1e7f52b52bb59ba20e91f.jpg

I usually am doing my hingecutting during these cold months but w logging still in place there is no need for me to do such

Weather has been crappy as with most of you so I went for a day of skiing. It’s one of the few sports that I’ve never broken a bone and hope my luck doesn’t run out. Sure helps take care of the winter doldrums. At nearly 3 score 10 I’m happy I still have no fear which can be a bad thing sometimes

Did go down to farm after most of snow melted yesterday and put out some mineral licks. Just used the brown blocks from Tractor Supply. Cheap and I’m not a great believer in them any how.

Pic of tree down is why I don’t enter woods in high winds. Funny, I had it red blaze marked for the logger NOT to cut. I guess God felt otherwise.

I still ski all the slopes I always have. But Omy legs don’t last the whole day any more. Went alone as my skiing buddies have either passed or quit skiing. So I cranked up some 70/80s music to keep me company
Take note of the last pic of the paraplegic skiing!! Don’t ever let the old man in!!

b6435ecdba23e2bbb94d5729b2022a27.jpg

02f0ce73ad193edf9630dacf27255c30.jpg

e7d6764dd149219d7945d9a489fad419.jpg

91167d3a042d198a02237a944f29fd96.jpg

5db8a508dee1e7f52b52bb59ba20e91f.jpg

I will be watching for you in the next Winter Olympics!

Good stuff, Doug, I like those green up pictures. You would not be able to get me off the nosedive and plunge side of the hill. I really enjoyed my little dose of wintertime here, six inches of snow all down in the creek now.

G

Went Valentines Day to spend the time w the one I love…. My farm. Of course that’s just partially true as my true love was working so I was free most the day. I needed run the chainsaw on some road blocking trees and deer paths from logger debris. And some management of cedar growth.

Cedars in this area can overwhelm a field in no time so I try each winter to reduce their numbers. I prefer longer leaf pines for thickets and cover making for better cover and management.

In addition this particular field is the largest of 3 of my fallow fields that receive nearly no man caused tweaking. It’s on its own for the most part.

I do allow the cedars along my access road for screening as they grow so quickly. I do cheat some as the larger trees I cut but smaller ones are pushed over by the tractor. The latter works best in winter and low sap as they typically will break over similar to a hinge cut and will remain living. Why? To create better habitat for the smaller animals for protection from predators like coyotes and hawks.

I have planted probably a 150 spruce on this hillside of which maybe 10 have survived deer browse and several drought years. But some have survived and even replanted a few others themselves. Slow process.

Last pics are just random of deer and turkey winter feeding in a clover/ brassica/ grain plot that self propagates with only mowing.

Logger is still taking some timber occasionally for his mill. Been pleased with all that process last couple years. Not the drama so many speak of. Glad he and I get to make some money and a couple roads that serve my purpose.

Hang tight my friends , Spring is not far. Time to get down close to those soils , hibernating plants, timber, and seeds and observe, take note , and add to your processes. Just ramblings of a delusional mountain man!

“He who hopes for spring with upturned eye never sees so small a thing as a Draba. He who despairs of spring with downcast eye steps on it unknowing. He who search’s for spring with his knees in the mud finds it, in abundance”. ——Leopold- A Sand County Almanac

195f43a3f62085ce65ecb3ab55688091.jpg

0833f0010f1501d825fb95de96655ed1.jpg

0e80ad6879409ccdd0ad3a9c1d2519d5.jpg

35785db2140859907ffe0974c467f81f.jpg

d2cee7907917fc0690cd38a93b35ad5e.jpg

It’s spring and I , like many of you , see these early bloomers of Sarvis ,aka Serviceberry ,in bloom. Easy to find on my place in the spring when I tag them but difficult for me to identify within the woods once blooms are gone.
Read if you want , don’t if you don’t , But it will hurt my feelings deeply!

And another early bloomer important to the first settlers

The flowers announcing spring funeral services -- service berry.... Learn something new every day!!

Back