Fertilizer for Established Chestnuts

mattpatt

Curious what everyone is using for fertilizer on their established Chestnut trees. Out of all the dead trees I've had due to drought I do have a few that have survived and are doing well. Some are going on their fourth year now and are over 7' tall. I haven't been giving them any fertilizer and thought I would start this year. First thing that comes to mind is just some good old composted cow manure (which we have a lot of) but not sure how well it would work being applied on top of the soil. We usually work it into the soil in our vegetable gardens. I also have access to chicken manure but you have to be careful with that stuff. Not opposed to chemical fertilizers either just not sure what to apply and how much as I don't want to set my trees back. I'm aware of the Miracle Grow Orchid fertilizer which I use on my seedlings.

Thanks,
Matt

Curious what everyone is using for fertilizer on their established Chestnut trees. Out of all the dead trees I've had due to drought I do have a few that have survived and are doing well. Some are going on their fourth year now and are over 7' tall. I haven't been giving them any fertilizer and thought I would start this year. First thing that comes to mind is just some good old composted cow manure (which we have a lot of) but not sure how well it would work being applied on top of the soil. We usually work it into the soil in our vegetable gardens. I also have access to chicken manure but you have to be careful with that stuff. Not opposed to chemical fertilizers either just not sure what to apply and how much as I don't want to set my trees back. I'm aware of the Miracle Grow Orchid fertilizer which I use on my seedlings.

Thanks,
Matt
I use the miracle grow tree spikes driven into the ground at the drip edge...

I use the miracle grow tree spikes driven into the ground at the drip edge...

How many spikes do you use per tree Johnny? I was told that granular triple 10 or 12 evenly spread was much better. Something about the roots closest to the spikes getting most of the fertilizer and roots further away getting little to none, causing stress and uneven growth.

How many spikes do you use per tree Johnny? I was told that granular triple 10 or 12 evenly spread was much better. Something about the roots closest to the spikes getting most of the fertilizer and roots further away getting little to none, causing stress and uneven growth.
Depends on the size of the tree. I use 2 for trees 4 foot and shorter. 3 for 6 - 10' and 4 for anything taller. I can say I have seen big jumps using this method on some of the Sawtooth oaks...only problem I have noticed is growth is so accelerated that nut production doesn't happen.

That's an issue with fertilizing most nut and fruit trees. Too much causes too much vegetative growth. At least that's what I've heard.

I emailed Chestnut Ridge and they recommend 12 12 12.
Matt, Did they recommend an amount or guideline for an amount based on size? I am sure I can find the tree spikes, but I will be buying triple 10, 12 or 15 for my plots as well so might as well kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

I don't mind the vegetative growth. I actually focus on that early on with my fruit and nut trees in an effort to escape the reach of the deer.

Back