Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) devastation.

Flo1919

I thought Id post a few pics of what the bark looks like when trees are infected with EAB. EAB1.jpg what the bugs are doing to the cambium layer under the bark. Ash tree.jpg

From what I’ve seen the efforts to fight EAB have essentially been a public service announcement to not move firewood. I know that there was some trials of parasitic wasps. I really don’t think that it’s widely appreciated the amount of financial loss caused by EAB, Dutch Elm Disease, etc. Obviously there’s other equally or more important ecological reasons to stop the spread of foreign pests/diseases but it’s always the dollars that get the response. And one thing is certain, we could do a much better job managing bio security here in the USA. If you’ve lived or travelled to, or imported goods into Australia you’ll quickly realize we’re not on the cutting edge of biosecurity. We should take a cue from AQIS and get our act together before we’re losing more species. This is the next one we’ll likely be facing: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/1205193001

Sudden Oak Death already took a toll out west and it’s headed for the Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Reactions: Tap
Our first property is loaded with small ash that's not worth harvesting except maybe for firewood. Any there's more dead trees standing in our area than all the homesteaders in America could burn. Craigslist is full of ads for folks to come cut down dead trees. I've responded by planting massive amounts of diversity over the past five years, but it's a drop in a bucket. Nature will replete, but probably with invasives lol. The deer keep chewing on my plantings, and tubes seem to breed mice and insects. It's a battle. But when it comes back, it's going to be thick. Almost like a timber harvest.

We did pick up a second place this year that's mostly oak and hard maple, so maybe I won't feel like I'm the groundskeeper at a palliative care facility.

I hear ya Keith. It's sickening really. We burn a lot of ash out in Nebraska when we're hunting out there (borers aren't there yet) but I tell you, to me, it's not even good firewood. Burns up fast, not a lot of heat, and no coals like oak, hickory, etc. Beats freezing though.

I thought Id post a few pics of what the bark looks like when trees are infected with EAB. View attachment 16652 what the bugs are doing to the cambium layer under the bark. View attachment 16650

I feel your pain. We've completely lost 95% of mature ash in our region. There are still some occasional mature trees that are heavily attacked but are still clinging to life.

Immature ash don't seem to be attractive to EAB. I've kept a lot of my immature ash alive by hinge cutting it. It stays alive, but it's in the immature state so it's not getting attacked. Time will tell if there is any merit to this approach.
I also cut most of my mature ash while they were still alive. What that accomplished was to keep the root system alive. Stump sprouts from mature ash are desired browse around here.

But losing the ash isn't even the entire problem. We are being totally invaded by Japanese Stilt Grass and it explodes when the ash canopy is removed. That crap is absolutely horrible. It tolerates light shade and it really thrives in sun. Walking through our woods right now is very rugged. The skeletons of dead ash litter the ground, and the stiltgrass hides all the logs and branches. Tripping, stumbling, twisting ankles and knees is a real issue.

Mile-a-Minure is another invasive that thrives in the newly created sunlight since the ash canopy is gone.
We have a host of other blights that are attacking our trees and invasive plants are out of control. I am not exaggerating in the least. If anything, it's actually much worse than I've described.
Our woods are a sick nightmare.

You mean there's an invasive that hasn't hit upstate NY yet? Who knew? The existing list is enough to make you cry. Good to know there's more to come lol. And tough to keep the faith...

Back