Elevated soft side blind

pinetag

Anyone ever tried the working man’s version of an elevated blind? Those hard sided blinds are so expensive so I’m giving this a go instead. I’ll be adding some rubber flooring to the bottom so I would think it should be fairly airtight with the windows closed. Thoughts? Success stories?
5a590d26c1b1a04dd7867df91f45007b.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I build my own elevated blinds. I'm down in zone 7a so heat is more of an issue than cold. Here is an example:

deefaca0-3397-49e0-b36d-1762455c0880.jpg

Back to your situation. One year I was working on one in the summer and something came up and I did not complete it by fall. I only had the platform built. So, that year, I simply put a popup blind on the platform. I'm a fairly big guy and I've always found popup blinds a but more restrictive. Also, you don't get the advantage of having a nice shelf to steady a rifle for longer shots that I get with my permanent box blinds.

I setup like yours is much more mobile. If you don't like the setup, you can move it. I can't practically do that with my permanent blinds. So, I generally start with a popup blind on the ground. You can't put one up and immediately hunt it for turkey with no problem. Deer, on the other hand, take time to acclimate to a blind, so I leave mine in place 24/7/365. I found they don't weather well when used this way. They only last a few years. Once I've confirmed that I like the location, I build my permanent box blinds.

So, you will probably have to compromise between deer acclimation and blind weathering. If you are only rifle hunting it with shots generally beyond 50 yards, deer acclimation may be less of an issue. If you plan to hunt with a bow, crossbow, or traditional muzzleloader, it will come into play.

What you have is clearly a workable solution depending on your situation.

I have an elevated Redneck Ghillie. Using the rubber mat on the grated floor surprisingly holds most of the scent. I have had deer downwind that eventually blow, but seem to think my scent is coming from further or something hanging close by for long enough for a shot.

I've been an avid bowhunter for many years. Most of my bowhunting is done from open stands, not blinds. So, I got in the habit of fastidious scent control. I use binds with open windows. Because we can have quite hot days during our season, I design my blinds for upward air flow. For me, the blind is a secondary form of scent control.

One thing that I finds helps in our hot weather is my new e-bike. I got one with enough power and a thumb throttle. I don't pedal at all when using it for hunting. It allows me to travel quietly, and more importantly, without working up a sweat, even in hot weather.

I build my own elevated blinds. I'm down in zone 7a so heat is more of an issue than cold. Here is an example:

deefaca0-3397-49e0-b36d-1762455c0880.jpg

Back to your situation. One year I was working on one in the summer and something came up and I did not complete it by fall. I only had the platform built. So, that year, I simply put a popup blind on the platform. I'm a fairly big guy and I've always found popup blinds a but more restrictive. Also, you don't get the advantage of having a nice shelf to steady a rifle for longer shots that I get with my permanent box blinds.

I setup like yours is much more mobile. If you don't like the setup, you can move it. I can't practically do that with my permanent blinds. So, I generally start with a popup blind on the ground. You can't put one up and immediately hunt it for turkey with no problem. Deer, on the other hand, take time to acclimate to a blind, so I leave mine in place 24/7/365. I found they don't weather well when used this way. They only last a few years. Once I've confirmed that I like the location, I build my permanent box blinds.

So, you will probably have to compromise between deer acclimation and blind weathering. If you are only rifle hunting it with shots generally beyond 50 yards, deer acclimation may be less of an issue. If you plan to hunt with a bow, crossbow, or traditional muzzleloader, it will come into play.

What you have is clearly a workable solution depending on your situation.

Thanks yoderjac and if I remember you are/were a VA guy? So we have the same weather issues.

I thought about going with a built blind as well, but for the cost this was actually the cheaper route…not to mention I liked the fact that I have the ability to move it in the future if I choose.

ln terms of acclimating, I have used ground blinds in the past and I typically set them out in Aug or Sept and that seems plenty of time to acclimate. I remove them after the season.

This will be my first time using a setup like this so I’ll gauge the success after this season to determine what future setups will look like.

Thanks yoderjac and if I remember you are/were a VA guy? So we have the same weather issues.

I thought about going with a built blind as well, but for the cost this was actually the cheaper route…not to mention I liked the fact that I have the ability to move it in the future if I choose.

ln terms of acclimating, I have used ground blinds in the past and I typically set them out in Aug or Sept and that seems plenty of time to acclimate. I remove them after the season.

This will be my first time using a setup like this so I’ll gauge the success after this season to determine what future setups will look like.

Yes, there is clearly a cost factor for DIY. I was able to build them myself for less than any of the commercial elevated ones, but they are not inexpensive. COVID supply chain issues did drive up cost and I haven't built any since. I started building them to take kids out and for one of our older members that had knee replacements and had a very hard time with treestands. As I've gotten older myself, I realize how thy will extend the number of years I can hunt. My early blinds were mostly 6'x8' so I'd have room for a kid. The last few were one-man and 6x6 which reduced cost. Many have stairs which are expensive. The one in the picture has a "sladder". Kind of a combination between stairs and a ladder. It is permanently attached but at enough angle that I can uses it much easier than a ladder but it is much less expensive than stairs.

I have an elevated Redneck Ghillie. Using the rubber mat on the grated floor surprisingly holds most of the scent. I have had deer downwind that eventually blow, but seem to think my scent is coming from further or something hanging close by for long enough for a shot.

Glad to hear that T-max! Thanks

I've been an avid bowhunter for many years. Most of my bowhunting is done from open stands, not blinds. So, I got in the habit of fastidious scent control. I use binds with open windows. Because we can have quite hot days during our season, I design my blinds for upward air flow. For me, the blind is a secondary form of scent control.

One thing that I finds helps in our hot weather is my new e-bike. I got one with enough power and a thumb throttle. I don't pedal at all when using it for hunting. It allows me to travel quietly, and more importantly, without working up a sweat, even in hot weather.

I have been looking at e-bikes for a while now but have yet to pull the trigger on one. They are more expensive than the blinds! Hopefully I can get one in the future though.

I have been looking at e-bikes for a while now but have yet to pull the trigger on one. They are more expensive than the blinds! Hopefully I can get one in the future though.

Yes, they are expensive if you have hills. You can probably buy one fairly inexpensive if you don't have hills. In my case, we have some fairly steep logging roads in rolling country. If you do have hills, be sure to test drive one. That can be hard to do. Most are sold on-line. I was lucky. I went to an e-bike demo-day in Cville. There is a kind of user group for ebikes there. The club all brought their personal e-bikes to a local park and let attendees test drive them.

The bottom line for me was that I was able to eliminate a number of types of ebikes. Some don't have a throttle, they only have pedal assist. Rear hub drives are less expensive but they don't have the power and don't use the gearing necessary to get up my hills without pedaling. I only go a few miles, per hunt, so all ebikes has plenty of battery capacity for my use.

Yes, they are expensive if you have hills. You can probably buy one fairly inexpensive if you don't have hills. In my case, we have some fairly steep logging roads in rolling country. If you do have hills, be sure to test drive one. That can be hard to do. Most are sold on-line. I was lucky. I went to an e-bike demo-day in Cville. There is a kind of user group for ebikes there. The club all brought their personal e-bikes to a local park and let attendees test drive them.

The bottom line for me was that I was able to eliminate a number of types of ebikes. Some don't have a throttle, they only have pedal assist. Rear hub drives are less expensive but they don't have the power and don't use the gearing necessary to get up my hills without pedaling. I only go a few miles, per hunt, so all ebikes has plenty of battery capacity for my use.

Good to know and I’ll keep my eyes open for a demo day. My property is river bottom so it’s flat, but can be muddy at times. From what I’ve read it would be better to get one without a derailluer as there is less to worry about going wrong in muddy situations.

Good to know and I’ll keep my eyes open for a demo day. My property is river bottom so it’s flat, but can be muddy at times. From what I’ve read it would be better to get one without a derailluer as there is less to worry about going wrong in muddy situations.

I think you are right. If you don't have hills, a rear hub motor would work well without the risk of a derailluer. If I ride through a field, I do get some weeds caught in it. I never shift. I just keep it in the lowest gear, I can it up to 13 mph on the level in low and maybe faster. That is plenty fast for me so I haven't pushed it. I only go that fast on the return trip if I'm trying to outrun rain or something. Normally, I just creep along.

Some of the cheapest rubber flooring I have found is buying the horse stall mat from a farm store,I also use in bed of my UTV

Some of the cheapest rubber flooring I have found is buying the horse stall mat from a farm store,I also use in bed of my UTV

That stuff is nice. I put a floor in a bale blind once and bought those puzzle piece foam gym floor things off Amazon. They worked very well.

Yea, I actually used that when creating my shooting backstop in combination with sand. It’s good stuff

That stuff is nice. I put a floor in a bale blind once and bought those puzzle piece foam gym floor things off Amazon. They worked very well.

This is actually what I’m going to use. I have some leftover from our spare room so I figured I’d use it instead of throw it away.

I have used both types. I find the foam to be softer and therefore quieter when it’s cold out.

I don’t use an e-bike but I do use a golf cart to hunt behind my house. The way I’m situated it’s possible for me to drive within 50 yards of my box blind when the wind is right without alerting deer. When I bowhunted that was the best way to get to my stand without working up a sweat. October is when bow season starts here and summer usually hasn’t quite let go yet.

I don’t use an e-bike but I do use a golf cart to hunt behind my house. The way I’m situated it’s possible for me to drive within 50 yards of my box blind when the wind is right without alerting deer. When I bowhunted that was the best way to get to my stand without working up a sweat. October is when bow season starts here and summer usually hasn’t quite let go yet.
When my old ATV was having issues and was unreliable for a period, I needed something new. I took a real hard look at electric UTVs. I'm pretty familiar with lead-acid technology and knew I did not want to go that route. LI was just starting to provide performance on par with combustion engines, but the cost was just to high for me.

I ended up going with a Honda pioneer 700 for working at the farm and deer retrieval. I then got the ebike to complement it. I use the ebike to go to my stands. If I shoot something, I head back to camp and get the UTV for deer retrieval. I also use the UTV off-season to work at the farm. It is much easier for me to use than the old ATV as I'm aging.

I'm sure in a few years, the cost of performance LI UTVs will come down, but for now, the UTV ebike is a better value. If you are on flat ground and don't need the performance, a golf cart can work well for both hunting and deer retrieval. I have a bad back, so I built a bed-winch for my UTV. I can winch deer into the bed and drive them back to the barn where I have a hoist. This setup makes dressing, skinning, and quartering much easier which should keep me hunting as I get older.

I mostly use my cart for convenience and hunting. I have a CanAm that I use to work with. My spray rig (for small jobs) sits in it and I have a winch also. If I need to retrieve a deer at home and skin and quarter him, my backhoe serves that purpose. Easy to roll him into the bucket and hang him for skinning. I’m aging too at 76 years old and dragging a deer a couple hundred yards ain’t in my game plan. 😉

BTW, this is my third cart, and if you take care of your batteries as you should, they will last 4/6 years before you have to replace them. I had to learn that the hard way, but I have it down now !😁

Back