Egyptian wheat....mowing.....planned grazing

Good job on the fire...I wanted to burn more of our place but have been way too busy lately with the few hours I have off planting and watering trees, staining deck, cutting and stacking firewood and treating stumps in areas I am changing from hickory/post oak to pine...Sunday we had 30+ MPH wind...

Good job on the fire...I wanted to burn more of our place but have been way too busy lately with the few hours I have off planting and watering trees, staining deck, cutting and stacking firewood and treating stumps in areas I am changing from hickory/post oak to pine...Sunday we had 30+ MPH wind...

From the smoke and haze we had in the air in KS, I would say that most of OK burned yesterday.

Nothing had escaped yesterday....so we moved on to other things.

In Costa Rica, we were impressed how they make best use of natural resources. We have lots of rock resources so put in 5 corners to put barbed fence around a pond in receiving/weaning pasture. These are gate posts.
059cc46a2ad9f86a33e95a577a30f8a5.jpg

1bbdde100df7b05df3dce38f8ecb3544.jpg

Final tool to test was bale unroller. Put her in 4 and she will unroll a 5x5 in 5 min!
e930c79d5c645ecd3714961347554a23.jpg

7ae5fbf23fc050f0f8ea47d417edd95b.jpg

43a83bcf4e6d7c085c0d550b14075fa8.jpg

fccf140c05e2a4f3638eabe2e984f137.jpg

Truck arrived late evening.....all unloaded put their mouths down and got quiet. On right side of pic there is a polywire cross fence....no one breeched it.....so that was the first move at daylight to fresh hay and green. They will stay in this lot for another day. They liked the pelleted soy hulls we gave them at dusk for supplement.
e6539d1294267f98d17679aaae551be7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like thing are coming along on the farm and looks like greenup is farther along than here. That hay unroller looks like it did a good job. The only issue will be to not let the hay bale push you down a hill because the weight of that bale is going to out weigh you and the wheeler. Looks like some nice cattle. How many calves do you already have in that package?

10-4 on the lid.

Went to the farm yesterday afternoon and saw one gobbler in the cabin plot and heard one gobble in the distance. With all these warm temps the turkeys could be done before the season even opens here. Rearranged my vacation to the first week of season instead of the last just in case temps stay so warm.

Probably wise move on hunting early season. Lot of gobbles here after 10 AM. We will do the same.

There are 15 calves.

Rain set in just now and will make forages leap given warm soil.

Moved them early this AM......called a few times and they followed. Starting to get in a groove.
88e747ea6386ca66646a9f27df7adb18.jpg

Forage gets better further from the lot.
0ae1b8d7456814f391ee8b365d3c6319.jpg

Wooly pod vetch blooms earlier than hairy vetch....both were in broadcast mix last fall. Wooly pod has a wine color to the bloom.
d8935e02b7e724c586c758b4c4f9e638.jpg

Mineral feeder attaches to front of ATV. Salt blocks are put on back rack to lighten load. The cows eat very little mineral.
39d81e070b2d0e1a81b99cc1645f25d1.jpg

Manure looks great. Cow on left and calf on right. Calves take longer to pass hay and will loosen up in time.
8233d97709f48508ca82613a14583018.jpg

Let them have access to whole pond yesterday.....most of them waded.....that can cause hoof injuries. Ran a short crosswire and put the AN90 energizer at mud line on far bank.....8000 V from 4 D cell batteries! (Grin)

f04599b26763c1a84afb6930cf46ee83.jpg

Cattle who have prior controlled grazing experience instinctively go first to the next cross fence, then graze backwards on the new break of forage and end the grazing bout by bedding on the new break. It is a sign of animal cleanliness. We were well bonded at this point so that afforded time to address habitat need.
b07e7ff165b1a6a1977cab4844d0a76d.jpg

Lost an old post oak in the fire. Looking at how poor the living stump support, such fate was inevitable. Tree is in a good spot to make and haul out firewood. Plenty healthy savanna style oaks adjacent to replace this one.
32d9169e99967ab469713ff5cf7c24b7.jpg

0.4" of rain is enough to knock off the ash so one can see effects of fire.

An area of backing fire burn.
429d7f0565107ef509da2482197767d9.jpg

Backing fire on left.....headfire on right....pond bank vegetation integrity maintained. The green stuff singed then turned yellow forming a residue mat to hold water for emerging NWS plant seedlings.
576374ec58b8424854453a28d6227fdc.jpg

Easier to spot sheds. Notice mouse and rat trail.
ace7886e76f20b912cd3397e02d0c62e.jpg

To spare moisture and nutrients for herbaceous growth, all sprouts/small trees (elm, honey locust, persimmon, etc) in field were cut and stumps treated with remedy/diesel. Fire had top killed some while not affecting others. Trees with sparse hinge cuts are on each flank of field for edge and screening effect. This will be a long and narrow field with suitable woody cover for wildlife. Parts of the field were broadcast seeded with a switchgrass, JG and Korean lespedeza blend to accentuate tall grass effect.
1627aff6ee1d6d21e24d83a577d55ca2.jpg

I also seeded the same mix along burned slash lines just inside buffer were bare soil is considerable. Hopes are to have a tall grass screen line where we would normally have a hinge cut row. We will still hinge a few trees along this line....yet have tall WSG grass screen when supply of hinge candidates becomes exhausted or are consumed by future fire.

Sap was flowing heavily last week with the start of bud break.....that is a heavy draw on soil water and we are still abnormally dry. I will hinge cut until time to fell and thin timber at full leaf out.

This is 125 d of recovery on a 'pasture plot'.....under half the biomass seen last year at same time. Cows will move through this next week then onto pasture with good fescue so the annuals can get the tonnage needed for high density grazing.
e91a63febb9428056d4ec156ee47fd09.jpg

Why unroll the bale of hay? Seems more wasted under hoof that way?
Or should I be bigly surprised you are dealing with hay at all?

Place and cattle look great. You are way more green than we are at the moment.
That 40 d recovered pasture the cows are in is green but it is 'washy grass'....meaning they have to eat a lot to get full and the nutrient density isn't there (mostly water). When I move them to 100+ d pastures things will change as that grass is near 'boot stage'...cattle will get full on grass alone, energy density is high and water lower, and they will shed!

Why unroll the bale of hay? Seems more wasted under hoof that way?
Or should I be bigly surprised you are dealing with hay at all?

Several advantages to unrolling:

1) hay rings/feeders are communal areas prone to mud and feces loading....that invites a whole host of pathogens, parasites and injury to the animals and detriment to their health.....unrolling hay produces less mud, feces loading and better animal health than rings....udder infections, naval infections, parasites, and trampled calves are the most common anomalies of rings
2) timid animals often get pushed off the ring and don't get their fill of hay.....unrolling hay gives dominant and subordinant individuals equal feed opportunity....many people DO NOT think about 'bunk space requirements' for hay but it is no different than for supplement in troughs or stock density on pasture....animals have space requirements and herd hierachy are always at play for spatial distribution
3) hay rings/feeders/duallys/bale beds are a significant cost that most folks can avoid
4) unrolling spreads animal impact, manure loading, and hay orts for soil OM build over a larger area.....soil tends to become compacted around the hay ring and forage production may be lost for considerable time in the area of ring influence...a detriment to small scale soil health
5) granted, some folks up north successfully 'bale graze' on frozen or snow covered ground.....in zone 6b and warmer/wetter, bale grazing isn't a viable option due to mud/manure and compaction issues
6) I can unroll round hay with an ATV in areas where you can't get a ring, a dually or a tractor very easily!

Several reasons why I wanted to feed a few bales this spring:
1) test new hay handling equipment (bought a Titan hay spear/pallet fork combination for loader), how many bales will trailer carry safely, and test unroller well in advance of normal need next winter for any needed 'bug fixes'
2) 'washy grass' tends to make cattle feces loose and animals may overheat from imbalance of protein/energy.....long stemmed hay improves digestive function/animal health on washy grass...I knew cattle were going onto 40 d grass first turn-out
3) There is nothing wrong with having hay for emergency situations, inclement weather, buying stockpile days, or even to 'plan hay feeding or poor soil improvement' into the grazing calendar....hay, used wisely, is a land/soil improvement tool....during the 'mud pit and wash grass of March' as ex. HEy fed excessively points to overstocking the land and/or poor/no grazing management.
4) cattle were to be 'dry lotted' a few day after receiving and before turn-out for bonding and training purposes....long stemmed prairie hay is one of the best things to offer newly received cattle....palatable and nutrient dense from deep rooted plants just low in N

There is very little 'waste' in a pasture/grazing system which is not burned with fire if you look at the 'whole picture'.....plant material (either standing or stored) is either recycled in the form of manure/urine/saliva/milk froth/shed hair, residuals decomposed as thatch by soil life, or material left standing as uneaten green leaf for solar panels to grow new forage faster. When you insist of the animal 'complete plant consumption' without 'some selection', animal performance and health will suffer.....there must always be some form of 'uneaten residual' to keep the pasture ecosystem functional and the healthy herd performing...most folks err on the side of 'too little residuals' on all fronts from fed feed to grazed forage....then when it doesn't rain in a timely manner they get invited to the 'drought party' or they are dependent on fertilizer/herbicide..

How to increase utilization and minimize waste of unrolled round bale hay or spread out square bale hay:
1) cut net wrap and pin it down with tread-in post behind bale
2) unroll hay (either all in one paddock or across a hot wire(s) if you want to limit bale consumption over time and two or more paddocks)
3) run polywire and a few pig-tail posts right down the middle of the rolled out hay
4) turn 'on' AN90 energizer, step self-grounding stake in the soil, and connect the 'hot' alligator clip to polywire
5) animals can eat hay from either side of polywire but won't lie down in the middle of the roll....baby calves may lay on it and that is fine....just not mature stock
6) very little time/labor is required to do this and you don't need a tractor or a dually to unroll hay (new/used ATV $3-5K....tractor or dually $15-50 K

I have one AN90 and there are two possible uses this week: 1) partition stock water at pond to preclude animals wading leading to foot injury/issue or 2) run string down the unrolled hay to increase efficiency of use. Animals were 'picking' at hay during turn-out....so I chose option 1....would much rather have some 'trampled' hay waste than several cases of lameness or foot rot to doctor.

My point in all of this is simple.....one should look at the 'whole picture' before deciding the best route of action.

That all you got? Ha. I knew you would have it thought thru. Me I need those concentrated areas for good compost couple years later

Our hay costs:

Hay pictured above cost $34 per bale as it was prior hauled and stacked on edge of field.

Hay cost from the same field if we haul right after baling is $25/bale. Figure a 1-1.5 bale reserve per cow needed per year, thus hay expense (not counting the10 mile to road tractor and truck gas cost for 7-10 trailer hauls or mileage tax deducts) is $25-37.50 per cow per year.....or $3.93-5.89 per open acre of pasture land/yr. I can store most of the hay in a 24x36' covered shed on gravel free of cost/depreciation and the rest on pallets/logs on the ground to prevent bale bottom spoilage (another cost savings).

Total invested in hay handling equipment:

- 16' flatbed trailer bought in 2008 - $1800
- 2017 Titan bale spear/pallet fork combo - $575
- 2017 bale unroller - $155
- AN90 + posts/poly - $90

Total hay handling/feeding equipment investment cost $2620....or $18.71/ac open land......or $101.20/yr over 25 yr lifespan. Not all of that is direct hay cost as the equipment can be used for other purposes: trailer can haul many things saving freight/delivery fee in some cases, The Titan can be used to create pilot holes for fence posts or move cut trees from a fence row/lane, the unroller frame can be fitted with inexpensive wheels/axle for a utility trailer or portable hunting blind, and the AN90 can be used just about anywhere and any time a remote temp fence is needed....as examples. The cow herd and revenue from acres owned has to pay for all of that over time....so it is paramount that the small ranch minimize equipment inventory yet increase flexibility of use of purchased equipment....and minimize the need for feeding stored feed via planned grazing management.

Not far from me is a large ranch (1900ac) where the recent purchase of new equipment alone to harvest and feed baled forage to a 300 head cow herd is ~$1,000,000. And that doesn't count the dually, rings, baling supply, hired labor etc! That same $1M would buy a section (640 ac) of good grazing land to run the same number on less input or a larger herd under good grazing management.

A side effect of haying is the seed bank you end up with from the hay you buy...could be good seed or could be bad...my dad always somehow ended up with bad...sericea lespedeza and Johnson grass mainly...

That all you got? Ha. I knew you would have it thought thru.

Lol, I love it when someone asks a question on this thread. I usually end up learning something that I hadn't really thought about much.

We use a truck with a hydraulic round bale unroller. Works slick as can be. Seldom unroll one in the same place twice but might do a string of them end to end over a week or two. It's usually near the road. We could probably place them better for various things but we have a lot of rock that is hard on front ends and tires so venturing towards far fence lines or remote parts of the pasture is inconvenient.

A side effect of haying is the seed bank you end up with from the hay you buy...could be good seed or could be bad...my dad always somehow ended up with bad...sericea lespedeza and Johnson grass mainly...

Well I was rather torqued last year when annual sump weed showed up in the hay feeding areas....deer used it moderately and cattle pounded it so it all worked out in the end...new diversity....new forage!

Weed outbreaks according to the natural model want a highly impacted and compacted bare soil area for germination/dominace.....by unrolling hay you avoid creating most of the conditions which favor weed outbreaks...not so with a ring or manger. So weed seed in hay issue is as much of a feeding management issue as it is a feed contamination issue. Further, if I want to 'go organic' then I have to bring in hay which was 'grown organic'....which means no herbicide residues or commercial fert...the hay which comes off that native meadow has never seen herbicide nor commercial (but would benefit from low rate lime and some broiler litter)!

Quite honestly.....I have seen few 'weeds' which cows (or wildlife) actually wont use at some part of the season....thus contributing to the 'diverse forage base' and in some cases lessening weed reproduction/spread issue depending on how severe the animal use and timing. The key is to train cattle to 'taste test weeds' which is easily done with a small jar of blackstrap molasses and a spoon or a spray bottle with Redmund salt dissolved in tap water....or event bunk train cattle to weeds you harvest by hand (I have better things to do personally...but some with more time have great success with that). Cutting down the grazing area with fence also encourages more plant diversity selection to a point.

Johnson and serecia would be perfectly welcome in the heart of my tame pastures within 800' of water as cattle eat them both, they form an upper tier of forage which increases yield/ac and soil water storage, provide cover for baby calves/fawns, and are manageable if close enough to water to get the impact necessary to keep them in check.

I don't want to see those species in areas 1000' ft from stock water as they become harder to manage as well behaved members of a balanced plant community. One key to that is not to feed hay in the back 40 where cattle rarely go....but you can put mineral feeder in those sites....or supplement there....or sow a more preferred forage seed like switch or clover which is preferred by cattle and can dominate taller undesirable plants.

My 5 way mix of JG, 3 switchgrass varieties, and Korean lespedeza would be perfect for most areas where hay is fed as long as growing season recovery is managed to favor those species and we keep then within 800' of stockwater!

Okie...all this goes back to this 'whole' thing which I keep mentioning and the need to consider just about everything you can think of!

Lol, I love it when someone asks a question on this thread. I usually end up learning something that I hadn't really thought about much.

We use a truck with a hydraulic round bale unroller. Works slick as can be. Seldom unroll one in the same place twice but might do a string of them end to end over a week or two. It's usually near the road. We could probably place them better for various things but we have a lot of rock that is hard on front ends and tires so venturing towards far fence lines or remote parts of the pasture is inconvenient.

Hot dang....I just learned how to put more than one quote in a reply....so it's been a school day for me as well! Now I just have to remember how to do it next week or month....not so easy!

Funny you mention truck and unrolling bales.....I am usually the guy taking the FEL out in spring to smooth over the 'dually ruts' of the feeding truck once everything dries out enough to do that and sometimes running the drill over it to reseed....not the guy who rutted up the field feeding his cows! Then he unrolls the bale about half way and I watch all the timid cows getting their arse kicked for trying to eat the good stuff in the half roll middle or watching them resigned to eating the 'spoiled crust' which first comes off and the healthy cows don't want to touch. My intervention was to unroll the whole bale by hand when the feed truck left and then observe the results which were: 1) all cattle lined up, calm and eating that day, 2) hay orts would have easily fit in a wheel barrow (it was good hay), and 3) all cattle were full and standing/lying chewing their cud the next morning before frost burned off and they would start grazing for green morsels. The unroller I had built can attach to anything with a 1-7/8" ball....truck, tractor or ATV or momma's Cadilac...so there is flexibility in vehicles available for use depending on conditions....another plus of that is I don't need a 4th vehicle which requires fuel, oil and maintenance just to feed cows.

Cat.....when you get into planned grazing and the soil starts to change for improved function there are some new issues which most folks don't talk much about: 1) your soil will hold a lot of water which means when it's wet it is really wet so care must be taken with the GVW : wheel ratio driven over pasture, 2) stay off areas which aren't fully vegetated to support the load and 3) your stock water ponds won't recharge like they did in the past so you may need to haul water in some cases or fence accordingly.

The last picture posted above shows the NRCS cover crop mix in Bermuda pasture project we have been doing for last 4 years. I took a forage grab sample of cereal rye/triticale at each place a soil core last Sunday. The results of that analysis are below. Just under 22% crude protein (%N x 6.25) on no inputs the last two years other than cows under planned grazing, a sharp bushhog blade just prior to drilling, and a diverse fall seed blend drilled with an antiquated 1972 JDVB drill....no fertilizer no lime no herbicide! Planned grazing by far is the best thing we have done for plotting on a budget!
431abb862c43738a1ded4b4c6f8715dd.jpg

Well I was rather torqued last year when annual sump weed showed up in the hay feeding areas....deer used it moderately and cattle pounded it so it all worked out in the end...new diversity....new forage!

Weed outbreaks according to the natural model want a highly impacted and compacted bare soil area for germination/dominace.....by unrolling hay you avoid creating most of the conditions which favor weed outbreaks...not so with a ring or manger. So weed seed in hay issue is as much of a feeding management issue as it is a feed contamination issue. Further, if I want to 'go organic' then I have to bring in hay which was 'grown organic'....which means no herbicide residues or commercial fert...the hay which comes off that native meadow has never seen herbicide nor commercial (but would benefit from low rate lime and some broiler litter)!

Quite honestly.....I have seen few 'weeds' which cows (or wildlife) actually wont use at some part of the season....thus contributing to the 'diverse forage base' and in some cases lessening weed reproduction/spread issue depending on how severe the animal use and timing. The key is to train cattle to 'taste test weeds' which is easily done with a small jar of blackstrap molasses and a spoon or a spray bottle with Redmund salt dissolved in tap water....or event bunk train cattle to weeds you harvest by hand (I have better things to do personally...but some with more time have great success with that). Cutting down the grazing area with fence also encourages more plant diversity selection to a point.

Johnson and serecia would be perfectly welcome in the heart of my tame pastures within 800' of water as cattle eat them both, they form an upper tier of forage which increases yield/ac and soil water storage, provide cover for baby calves/fawns, and are manageable if close enough to water to get the impact necessary to keep them in check.

I don't want to see those species in areas 1000' ft from stock water as they become harder to manage as well behaved members of a balanced plant community. One key to that is not to feed hay in the back 40 where cattle rarely go....but you can put mineral feeder in those sites....or supplement there....or sow a more preferred forage seed like switch or clover which is preferred by cattle and can dominate taller undesirable plants.

My 5 way mix of JG, 3 switchgrass varieties, and Korean lespedeza would be perfect for most areas where hay is fed as long as growing season recovery is managed to favor those species and we keep then within 800' of stockwater!

Okie...all this goes back to this 'whole' thing which I keep mentioning and the need to consider just about everything you can think of!

Cattle left the landscape a long time ago where my dad fed all those years and the 3 pasture plug horses that are left only seem to want to utilize the lowest growing grasses on the place and do not graze sericea or Johnson Grass so it just go's unchecked unless it is sprayed. My 10 acre original property has very little of it but the additional 15 acres of that property I just acquired is going to take some work to get it where I want it...I am fencing the horses out of this...

Goals will not include livestock unless you consider the new fish pond we are going to make as "livestock" because I certainly plan to raise some fine catfish in my older years for tablefare...

Glad you got you some cattle...I had a herd of 32 head of momma cows and a bull back in the 90's...that life is not for me, don't even have a dog...

I understand the horses manage their own grazing.....you can mow all of it now, then when the tall stuff you don't want get's above the lower stuff you want to keep in about July then run a wick-bar with 30% Round-Up in water over it...repeat in 2-3 weeks to get anything residual which is green. I have a couple home-made wick bars for ATV if you want to borrow one. Fire promotes both JG and Serecia....so I would't burn the field until more desirable plants are well established. It will take a couple years to get decent control.

So far the ponds hold water well and ruts aren't a problem. Hot/dry summers take them down a lot but they refill quickly with decent rains. Maybe like you said they won't refill as quick if we can get the soil to hold more water and have less runoff. It seems that in the winter when we hay it's either dry or frozen. When it is wet we just stay on the roads (gravel). The FIL wouldn't mind fixing ruts, but he sure doesn't want to damage grass.

Also don't see the cows fighting over hay or cubes when we feed. They just belly up to a spot and stand there until they are done. The calves mill in and out but they aren't eating feed yet. They just come because mamma does. It funny to watch the young ones chase the truck around and then look at you blank faced when you stop. They know to chase it but don't know why. They learn well from mom.

The cattle love JG here but I can't say I've ever seen them eat serecia. The JG would get out of control if not for grazing. The serecia seems to stand tall when everything else around it gets eaten down.

Back