Easy Way to Remove Persimmon Seeds?

Fishman

I have been removing persimmon seeds from the fruit by hand. I bust the fruit and then pick the seeds out. I then take the seed, usually still in the seed coat, and place it in a bucket with water for a couple of days. After that, I squirt the seeds with the water hose and the seed coat usually detaches. My question is, is there an easier way to remove the seeds from the fruit than just picking them out with your hands? Is there a better way to remove the seed coat? I have grown a few persimmons over the past couple of years, but I really want to ramp up my volume next year. Picking seeds out is not hard, but there has to be an easier and faster way.

Your not gonna like it but I get of mine from coyote scat...cleaned and stratified...
Yep - the old timers here tell you that if you want persimmons trees, you plant the seeds found in coon poop....or shoot a coon that is feeding in a persimmons tree and that is even a messier removal process.

I do similar to as you describe with pawpaw. I remove the "skin" on the seed by hand though.

Other option....collect the fruit, let the critters plant the seed for you. Not sure how you train a coon to poop where you want however!

I have fed a few to my dog, but I am still left trying to sort seeds from the poop. Me picking seeds from the persimmon or picking seeds from the poop, either way my hands get nasty, but they smell better picking the seeds from the persimmon.:)

Last year, I did take a bucket full of persimmons to feed the animals and let them spread the seeds. Unfortunately I have no idea how successful this endeavor was. I will probably do the same thing again this year since it doesn't really take any effort.

I put them in a bucket mash them up with your hands and spray with a water hose dump water out of bucket and repeat a bunch of times until they are clean

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

If I did it wasn't intended....If I wanted to call Okie an "old timer" I would do so directly. I'm not one to play games like that. Besides he is less than 10 years older than me.....so I'm not casting that "old" stone.... The older I get.....the more I redefine what "old" is!

Quit trying to stir up chit Bill.....:D

Speaking of....... in Feb I'm eligible for medicare.........

bill

Place in bucket add water mix with drill and drywall mix paddle pour out seeds will sink to bottom pulp floats repeat til you just have water and seeds at bottom of bucket seeds that float usually aren’t viable same as acorn and float test

I appreciate all the replies. I collected some persimmons last Friday and then some yesterday and tried a couple of different ways to remove the seeds. I think mashing the persimmons in a bucket works the fastest with the least amount of effort. I rinsed the mashed up persimmons with the hose to remove most of the mush. The majority of the seeds were out of their seed coat, but I left them overnight in water and hit them again with the water hose to remove any remaining seed coats. I would like to try the drywall mixer method, but I don't have a paddle.

I did find some dog poop with seeds in the poop, but I think I am just going to leave those seeds alone as a control group to see if they germinate in the yard this winter.

This is the way I get mine...

c08716bcde7fd80fb580077f9ed03cfe.jpg

b3611be65b92f4c3750a16002ce789b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I am not adverse to picking through scat to get seeds, most of the trees that I know about are in an urban environment. Most of the persimmons are not being eaten. They are just falling on the ground and desiccating.

While I am not adverse to picking through scat to get seeds, most of the trees that I know about are in an urban environment. Most of the persimmons are not being eaten. They are just falling on the ground and desiccating.
If you have persimmons that “urban” environment is drawing raccoons and coyotes in the night...look around...you may be surprised...

I know there are raccoons, but people look at me funny enough when I am out picking up acorns. I really don’t want to have to explain to people that I am looking for raccoon poop in their yard so I can get the seeds out of the poop. With all the talk of red flag laws lately, I don’t want to lose access to my guns. :(

Ran accross this thread after cleaning 80 seeds this afternoon. This worked well for me:
Broke them open and saved the fruit for persimmon and apple crumble, with dark rum sauce - - yummm.
Left coated seeds out to dry two days.
Put seeds in colander, a dozen at a time. Rubbed them on the bottom of the colander, one at a time, under running water. Worked fine. Did the same thing in a metal sieve, also worked fine.
Now, how do I plant 80 seeds?? Sounds like another thread to start.

I put them in a bucket mash them up with your hands and spray with a water hose dump water out of bucket and repeat a bunch of times until they are clean

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
I’m growing some of Rogers persimmons, so I know that method works. I just germinated the seeds in peat.

Back