Dunstan vs. Chinese Chestnut

weekender21

Is there any reason not to plant both Chinese and Dunstan or other American Chestnut hybrids in the same plot or on the same farm? I already have some Dunstan trees and was planning to plant Chinese as well and continue planting the tree that performs the best.

We've got both on our place. They are both doing great, pretty fast growth and they've both had a few blooms.
My Accf chestnuts are planted on our other farm away from the hybrids per the Accf.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I thought there was a reason not to plant European and Chinese together, bit I would have to Google why.

From what I've read some European species are not blight resistant, that's reason enough for me to not plant them.

That's pretty cool. Are those trees still being tested for diseases resistance?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Yes, we have to report on them each year about how they're doing.
They want to keep them isolated from other chestnut types too. I've planted a lot over the years and so far only have one tree that's decent size.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Good to know. Have you guys had better luck starting with nuts (seedlings) vs. grafted trees? Or does it matter?

Haven't tried grafts but I can't imagine ANYTHING being easier than just planting nuts. I have had INCREDIBLE success that way.

The only reason I brought up IKB is because the original poster said "other American Chestnut hybrids" and I don't know if there are any American\European Hybrids out there.

I would think to be safe you would not want to plant American\European hybrids and American\Chinese hybrids together. Probably not Dustans and pure European either.

I wonder if the same concern would be applied to American chestnut trees, either ACCF or the GMO type, once those are approved by the USDA and FDA? Meaning, if you have mature Chinese chestnut and decide you want to plant the GMO trees, will there be a cause for concern in kernels not forming properly?

Back