Dugout

IMG_3745.JPG

These are strangest 2 deer that I ever seen. They were born in 2015. Their mother was an old large doe that had a pronounced knot on her neck. These 2 were small late fawns in November. She had another set of late twins in 2016. They were also born late. She never drove these 2 off. The buck was a real ugly 3 pointer in 2016. 2017 the old doe had a large buck fawn, the 2016 fawns around, and these 2. Come November the 2016 finally dispersed like you would expect or I guess they could have been shot. The 2015 fawns were still around now a 7 pointer and his fawnless sister. Knot head disappeared in December and I haven’t seen her since. This deer pretty much was on camera every day, so I think she is probably gone. Now the weird part; the 2015 fawns are still around. Buck doesn’t seem to rut and doe doesn’t raise fawns. They are together all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Looks like a pair of cats in the one pic. The antlered deer.....is there a chance it's a doe? Or the antlerless one may have it's own reproductive issues as well. I used to have a doe that seemed to never have a fawn. I saw her several times, a few years in a row and never a fawn. Always by herself....always. Don't know if it was an issue or just natures way. She got turned into burger.

:Looks good..... looks like some nice kill plots in the woods. I over seeded an earlier planting of turnips with wheat over the weekend as well. Looking for ward to getting in a tree. What "brassica" you plant? just curious.....I have exp with turnips and radish, but that's about it.

Purple top turnip, ground hog radish, and rape(that was in with the bob that I got on clearance). Some of the larger sunnier spots got more brassica and even a few peas. Wheat is the back bone of my winter “planted” food. I find it grows wherever I drop it. It’s cheap. $7 a bag gleaned at the local feed mill.

Purple top turnip, ground hog radish, and rape(that was in with the bob that I got on clearance). Some of the larger sunnier spots got more brassica and even a few peas. Wheat is the back bone of my winter “planted” food. I find it grows wherever I drop it. It’s cheap. $7 a bag gleaned at the local feed mill.

Ok - I have not messed with rape before - or at least not much any way. I woul dbe curious to see if the deer have any preference to it or not. I prefer wheat as well as it survives our winters and it doesn't get as tall come spring. Do the deer attack your brassica there? Mine here only touch it as a last resort. But it's good for the soil and the like and a great insurance food should things be more severe than expected. My turnips are starting to grow some small bulbs already and the wheat went in here last weekend so it will start popping up soon.

I have noticed in crop areas brassicas are rarely used, but my experience in Hoosier National Forest is that they are there one night and gone the next. I think purple top is best because they eat the tops and then eat the bulbs later. Groundhog radish seems to be the least preferred, but will be dug up and ate when there is a lot of snow. I like the radishes for that reason; they last longer. In heavily wooded areas my dream winter plot would be a 10 acre standing beans field that is surrounded and broken up with standing corn with wheat, oats, turnips, and radishes over seeded on Labor Day.

Glad to see you got out for youth season. I didn't have much luck either.....but time with the kids in the woods is always worthwhile.

Question about the metal sided blind......any particular reason to cover to the ground? At first I thought maybe you had a ladder in side and a trap door type entry (to keep the ladder out of the weather and hide the assent of the hunter from ground level).....but then I see the landing and stairs on the back side..... I would suggest - not trying to be difficult - I would suggest a railing for those steps. Once we get wet/cold they will turn slick.....just trying to prevent an accident. I like steps...but they tend to hold any precipitation and become a hazard.....

Back