Drones...

Shaynelv

I have been an avid hunter all of my life. Over the past few years I have emerged myself in drone technology which is ome of the largest growing consumer markets worldwide.

I know there has been an ongoimg debate about the use of drones to track down and locate game. I have mixed feelings and would like to reach out to both old school and younger hunting enthusiasts before I consider utilizing my high end thermal imaging drone commerciallly to assist hunters locating deer or hog.

I recently went on a trip with 3 neighbors on a lease they owned. The property like so many here in Texas is riddled with hogs and the damage is widespread to the entire area.

I was able to use my thermal imaging to fly overhead up to 2 miles ahead of our party and locate areas that contained higher populations and direct the group in their direction. I did not use it for short range and I was flying 1000 ft plus in elevation. This didnt give an exact location but rather just gave an approximation of the distance and direction to assist.

Needless to say, the guys had a more fruitful hunt and it reduced the amount of time we spent drastically.

I am divided and cant decide whether it was a good or bad thing.. I saw it as not much different than hiring a guide or scout who already knows the land and the hotspots for taking game.:

In this day and age where people have less and less freetime. Young people want and need instant gratification (which goes against all ai learned from my grandfather about hunting.) I have seen a drastic disinterest in hunting even from my own step children than Ive seen a decade ago. Lazy people who want to grab a wall mount even pay these days to have game released right in front of them to avoid the cost, time, and effort of a real hunt. It makes me sick.

However, deer and hog are running rampant and putting them in check improves the overall quality of the lands once they are minimized...

If used a general tool to assist in locating a heading for the hunter but not as a pin point device is it really such a bad idea?

What if laws were passed for operators of such drones requiring them to have special training and licensing? Only certain types of game, max amount of hours of use per day/session, minumum distance of say 1000 yards, whatever... To limit the use and impact..

Could it bring interest to the next gen of hunters? Reduce costs of expensive hunts on high priced leases while increasing probability of hunters bringing home trophies but not making it a sure thing?

I am all for assist but not down with completley eliminating the skill and time needed for a successful outing.

My question to all of you is this:
If done with moderation amd respect for wildlife and only to locate the general heading what do you think of drone us in that scenario?

I'm into drones big time right now (in fact I'm working on getting my remote pilots license). My gut instinct is to say "no" to using them to locate game for the hunt, and "yes" to using them for recovery of game. My thoughts on this stem from deer hunting, I could care less if you used one for hogs. I classify hogs as an invasive though.

I'm also leary of property boundaries. I don't like the idea of these flying over private property without permission. In my opinion they should be treated the same as boots on the ground and trespassing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm into drones big time right now (in fact I'm working on getting my remote pilots license). My gut instinct is to say "no" to using them to locate game for the hunt, and "yes" to using them for recovery of game. My thoughts on this stem from deer hunting, I could care less if you used one for hogs. I classify hogs as an invasive though.

I'm also leary of property boundaries. I don't like the idea of these flying over private property without permission. In my opinion they should be treated the same as boots on the ground and trespassing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I mirror these sentiments...

Not sure this isn't just a veiled advertisement but anyways... illegal here to use a drone during hunting season to locate game to hunt. Law was put into affect 2 years ago. Thermal imaging I have used and it is going to recognize a lot of matter besides deer, such as rocks, trees,etc , anything that gives off heat. They work best in cold temps late into night after objects have cooled off. I would have to see how effective that is at that elevation. But I do love drones, I've already crashed a couple. Pics??

I would be for drones for wounded deer recovery, but the problem is that this technology will branch off into negative things. Before you know it there will be people using them for hunting and scouting purposes. The technology is already there to where you can sit on your couch in your favorite pair of underoo's holding your cell phone and fly your drone all over your neighbors property. It won't be long until you'll be hearing about these things being shot down by somebody.

Drones are the next big thing right now in my profession as a land surveyor, so I'm well aware of how much of an asset they can be when used in the right fashion. I just think we need to sit back, take a deep breath, and really think about how we need to start regulating drones.

Many states have already declared drone use to aid in the taking of game to be illegal. Either they have passed explicit laws, or in the case of my state, the DNR has released a statement saying that drone use would fall under an existing prohibition against using electronic devices in the taking of game.

I strongly suspect that most states will have rules or outright bans on drone use for hunting within a matter of a few years.

Grouse

Prolly the worst purchase I ever made! Bought one of the high end Phantom 4 drones and crashed it into pine trees 3 weeks later. Still flies and I really don't know how. Cool for aerial pics but how many aerial pics can you take of the the same plot. I'll prolly be posting more in the coming weeks only because I have it and it still flies even with warped arms but if I had a do over...I'd have that money in the bank.

I enjoy the hunt. I don't even use game cameras, I hunt. If while I'm hunting my solitude was ruined by a drone I wouldn't be happy. However I think drones should be permitted for animals that can be legally hunted from the air like hogs.

I would support use for hogs outside of deer season. That scenario would be similar to the conservation order hunt for snow geese where there are almost no rules. Other than that, no drones.

I would support use for hogs outside of deer season. That scenario would be similar to the conservation order hunt for snow geese where there are almost no rules. Other than that, no drones.
I would be OK with this as long as you keep your drone over your own property or the property you have permission to use it over...

I would be OK with this as long as you keep your drone over your own property or the property you have permission to use it over...
That's one of the main issues that I see right now is people are under the impression that you can fly them anywhere, and that no one owns the air space over your property.

That's one of the main issues that I see right now is people are under the impression that you can fly them anywhere, and that no one owns the air space over your property.
In my mind a drone over my place is no different than boots on the ground. It is there to spy and take photo's and video of my stuff. I will allow the same folks who have permission now to be on my ground to use a drone over it which would be utilities company's, surveyor, or tax assessor but other than that I see no reason to be flying one over your neighbors place...

I would see flying a drone over my place without permission as trespassing as well, and would probably be finding out if shooting it down was legal shortly thereafter.
I wouldn't even check...anyone doing it with a legal reason (see my above list) would be doing it from the county road in front of my house that runs through my property. If it's not coming from there it's got to be a neighbor or something and I will do everything in my power to bring it down!

Love to see them used hor hogs and finding downed game. I'd like to see trespassing laws preclude drone use without permission but do not believe they'll be treated differently than other aircraft in the short term. I'm certain shooting down a drone would get you prosecuted in many jurisdictions.

Love to see them used hor hogs and finding downed game. I'd like to see trespassing laws preclude drone use without permission but do not believe they'll be treated differently than other aircraft in the short term. I'm certain shooting down a drone would get you prosecuted in many jurisdictions.
Bring it on...gotta stand up for yourself or be run over...Hope I get a jury of my peers...the day my neighbor or some other civilian drone fun flyer can tell me what good reason he has for flying over videoing my stuff and family and it makes good sense is the day I change my stance but in the meantime...

Not speaking of you Johnny but my experience is most folks start to view things differently when they find themselves depleting their savings or borrowing money to pay for litigation. This is particularly the case with unsettled law where trial court errors and appeals are most probable.

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

Not speaking of you Johnny but my experience is most folks start to view things differently when they find themselves depleting their savings or borrowing money to pay for litigation. This is particularly the case with unsettled law where trial court errors and appeals are most probable.

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum
True for some - not for all...

Back