Drill Modifications

Buck268

After my first full run of planting with my cut down 6' Great Plains drill, I really like how it works. One thing that I find is a "Big" pain is; for the small plotter that doesn't fill the hoppers full you must constantly stop to sweep the seed over the openers "no augers".
Last night I was thinking that I could; place a board in the bottom of the hopper and drill holes over each opening and attach jugs to them to hold the seed and act as a funnel.
Does anyone have any experience in this area that can share ideas???.

You could go to Home Depot and buy some 4" diameter HVAC sheet metal (or pvc), in whatever length you want, fabricate a small bracket and screw one tube, vertically over each hole.

It would take some more skill, but you could just fabricate some sheet metal, inside, so that all the seed flows towards each opening. You could also paint that with some graphite paint, to help the seed slide.

I believe that's going to be my ticket right there, off season project.....................thanks

Maybe if you give Great Plains a call, they may something off the shelf for you. Check the video out at around 1 minute, 26 seconds
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Those kinds of seed, feed diverter's are sort of common. I don't remember the brand, where that pic came from

Anyway, if it's something you want to try to make on your own, start with a piece of thin cardboard and make yourself a pattern

After my first full run of planting with my cut down 6' Great Plains drill, I really like how it works. One thing that I find is a "Big" pain is; for the small plotter that doesn't fill the hoppers full you must constantly stop to sweep the seed over the openers "no augers".
Last night I was thinking that I could; place a board in the bottom of the hopper and drill holes over each opening and attach jugs to them to hold the seed and act as a funnel.
Does anyone have any experience in this area that can share ideas???.
I have a great plains 1006, it looks similar to FarmerD's picture above, and the V-shaped row dividers in the bottom of the seed box funnel the seed right into the openers. I usually stop a time or two towards the end to make sure that no row is running out before the others. I think a system like this would work better than the milk jug on board idea, although it does sound innovative. Can you post a picture of the inside bottom of your drill box?

Another tip I've seen done if you want to alternate rows, or if say you want 1 row of something mixed in with the rest, but you want it isolated, is to use a plastic jug like a milk jug and cut a hole that fits right over one of the meters and fill it with whatever you wanna plant

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Another tip I've seen done if you want to alternate rows, or if say you want 1 row of something mixed in with the rest, but you want it isolated, is to use a plastic jug like a milk jug and cut a hole that fits right over one of the meters and fill it with whatever you wanna plant

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks, that's kinda what I was originaly thinking. Should be able to post box pictures on Sunday.

Back