Does that mean the oaks are doomed?

As Geo has stated according to this study Dormant Quaking Aspen cuttings rarely if at all can be can rooted. Also according to this study they can however be successfully propagated doing the opposite of rooting stems; that is root cuttings are used to grow stems and then the root and new stem is planted. It states that generally one stem per inch of root can be expected. I had found this when researching aspen regeneration a while back and had looked at rooting the stem cuttings.
file:///C:/Users/Anne/Downloads/Techniques%20for%20Rooting%20Aspen%20Root%20Sprouts.pdf

Roots from aspen trees shown to grow well in your area have the best chance of fitting in to your environment. If there are no aspens in you area, occasionally we bulldoze an aspen down and whenever it occurs again I'd be glad to send you some roots if you would like. There are no set plans for bulldozing down any aspens but I'm sure we will again sometime.

I tried root cuttings that had small shoots already with no success. They seem to need mama.

G

One of the typical complaints against Tordon is that it will cross into the roots of other trees in the area. Might be able to use that to your advantage? Would only be a $15-20 experiment. I have similar areas where oaks get pushed out by AO so I feel your pain. Like Geo said natural progression should eventually win out, just depends how patient you are (or how many years you have left)!

I tried root cuttings that had small shoots already with no success. They seem to need mama.

G
  • Geo, if it worked in the study described then it works using the precise method, timing and tree they did it with. Thus one of those variables hindered your test. I doubt it would have been method but maybe timing or likely the individual characteristics of the aspen used. Just a thought.

xRN8uxHY9pzCGWozZz56ZKT-m5czhLPhb8z8VD73AdG6FrIP6yJjWY1ZMgcFcT1j5k4yy1UKjDXIKOvTJp-bmJaGpcVT7Z2E4vfArnotZd7vpgFcH-YAjDokdzaB7lq16IpV64A3L-G-mo0UOqSx7DITX9f4y7uoYmssgRI3WNyhT0qHWXipeHWL8HAwMOEmtjaKzWZa8Uw2KgCgmwByTm1FtfwzDjB-e7sZlV1oPs9lAArde0XqKk4XZxfE5hfeaV0i-7lYcMdgYO5RLTCtyLwbhIAebN95junvDFvoS9LKc4WFwt5x_4r79Dw5UAQuarQGA4MZa8OMns3d2HRE_UuMzYQualUG7WWtvPvyaldyIa73PvzBOvPk5BGpSBENaPlKqQjVMwsYrfCEbjwN_YmEUNHCjG4X0btf1oiU0UiG_HYQPDk-m2G32VH2Gdl486j7rC0VVgVIB-2XxytRrr1_JLDyIA7jgKnKSvpcqgifhCWU4NWsAJ4HoLmnauvy-BD6KWP0AXAbsTOePOC0e8Q1_HvH1Ps1EqWj6EUcVyXS_aGL-KNZrUlNW4gzQqipFDC5msbplIiR4dgeZilBpghSIGvFw80q79Rbm79d3AwKbWqoZtWoEcXiKMb0nurhYVDl4Ie3nn7VLV0E1SHEQevjlg5wAwHVNAlM5jtUHu24bw=w1711-h962-no

d1OcHtmRz0Un5VfUoEFrBQxLznhFu0tHK7duJC-dDZel9uTeolDJxMwBLemgpa1El3Ptv7gEaCvFZKIMZBiO1T1cH0FF_AjMe5sGeB7lTw24RXOnMfjIJIAXmLMzqkZH2frzZHcUVg88vKBdKEOaojm2Jikx7hoA8eKdgPXOpUquOCZ-9yxlLpmeW4dtQRP6b7hKEyJ_-Nvnd3ZuCC1XcRvsJUIT1XF8lQhiLuuCDW0wcOzo9khbZ-MEEU02u9lTNtx_DkLy5uwCCujGH4-2NwoAJJoJCqFiZf8fNPRf969dVXzCaGrbIE_XuWScHsl0QuU0BLnS2MIa3pLX55aMNSYDZhvJAOD-_f9i2xkgP5kYnBj4YjQYLNYFNTNI9txsPq-heBffdnmK56Syc3nhv4vVDWa1Ws8baPxtXfbkmUL8X9PwKqXoPqIRsaSE_FDV-Zy25_E9BasUe7taQNPNxtRfOCi-n0zy61JaqnCeJyhFmuJTKlBY5tzZpoG0IOICE40aTtjD-euPuyQhpdJHOdDdcEubxopepKb2qxE-vNbHFJcvWBUmnv9qhedRYz0gVqMFcQXa82uKvzPAjrUm2e_j6qxG6uTfVSg3pRSCV3x3m-DlR7xpS35VVmzt9RAWflhh3YqEg1NBsG_93uZeNp9gLsAAD1OyMrIhMLR2F8EJeg=w1711-h962-no

Speaking of regen, I was scouting a 3-4 YO cut last week and it was filled with aspen regen that was hard to believe. Ten feet high and thick as hell. I was hoping bucks would be crossing it but I couldn't see them doing it without a struggle. There was a faint trail but not that exciting.

What was interesting was there was a lot of seedling red oak through it plus many more in the understory on the bordering properties. I was passing one every 20 feet or so. Oddly, I didn't see any mature seed trees. The biggest were a few 3-4 inch ones left in the cut. It made me wonder if oak is growing under popple there would it do the same where I have it.

While only a few miles from my land, this is a different eco-area where red oak, Q rubra, the only native oak, is more common.

The aspens will thin out because they are too thick and will shade each other out leaving probably less than 50% of what's there now. The oaks will possibly survive but won't get the light they need to thrive. If you like aspen then maybe look at planting oaks somewhere else but if you really want oaks there a good flail mower will do a great job on aspen that size. You will need to do something within a year or the aspens will be much larger and harder to deal with. I didn't see if it was mentioned that you have mature oaks on the property? If you do just clear cut anywhere near the big oaks and they pretty much replant themselves if there is some light getting to the ground.jmo

I didn't see if it was mentioned that you have mature oaks on the property? If you do just clear cut anywhere near the big oaks and they pretty much replant themselves if there is some light getting to the ground.jmo

Only a few rubra within 1/4 mile but they are spreading. It is the whites I have that worry me most.

Back