does it ever get straight

Nebraskaz71

I'm starting to hate tree tubes for so many reasons but the big problems I'm coming up with this year is straightness. 5ft tubes and many of my bur oaks are 6-7ft now. The problem is almost all flopped over at almost 90 degree angles once they came outta tubes and stay that way. I thought the sun would pull them back but it didnt so on the worst ones I ran bamboo rods inside the tubes and tied the top of the tree up but I dunno how long to leave it like that. Second, if you look inside the tubes the trunks of every tree goes from one side of the tube to the other and back over and over, so basically the trunks have multiple S shapes to them inside the tubes. These are gonna be in my lawn will that kinda straighten with time or will the trunk always have funky curves?

I’ve been vocal recently about my dislike of tree tubes as well. In my experience, the tops will straighten out (mostly), but I’m not sure about the trunks.

I've had this problem and have used a cage to hold them up until they gain some trunk stability. You can also use twine crisscrossed within the cage to stabilize the tree further. Curved trunks can be straightend with a length of 1 or 2 inch board strapped to the trunk with rope to make them straight. Another method is to stake them. They will be good as new in about 2-3 months. Allowing them to blow in the wind in a controlled manner will strengthen the trunk. Interested in hearing what others may recommend about the transition.
This can also happen with a cage that is too small in diameter.

Last edited:
Personally wish I woulda never done tubes but live and learn. I think ill leave the bamboo till spring and see what the tops look like after that and hope for the best on trunks. I've heard the board trick before, maybe once they get bigger I could try that. I hate to stake them or tie them up to much in fear of making them weaker yet.

Stake the tree loosly allowing it to blow in the wind but not fall over. I have another tree like this and I use a post and tie a loose loop around the trunk keeping the tree from falling over or bending to the point where deer are going to eat the tops off. It was in a tube until about 7 feet tall. I put some cloth around the post to keep it from damaging the tree. I primarily use cages at this time. Tubes work well for the direct seeding and for protecting trees from buck rubbing as shown in the links above. I am going to the cage for the second growing season onward.

Back